Engine Drivetrain 1st Gen Cooper S Right side axle pops out after replacing

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by Ogre, Jan 8, 2014.

1. minime331

minime331 New Member

Jan 27, 2012
    washington dc metro area
    Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    So a set for 400 bucks and they are good quality.. I know where I'm going when mine Get trashed

2. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    I've got a DSS on the passenger side and OEM on the driver's side. Both were installed around 100k due to CV boot failure.

The DSS shows signs of surface rust, but otherwise looks and performs as well as the OEM axle. I don't have a bearing press and haven't come across a good DIY about removing the bearing mount from the old axle and re-installing it on the new DSS axle. The DSS axle vibrates a bit under full-throttle acceleration, but I'm not sure if the support bearing was damaged when I installed the bearing mount over the new support bearing.

I can tell you that my next set of axles will be OEM, rebuilt with Redline CV2 synthetic grease. The failures I've seen were due to the grease overheating. I had one axle split the boot - it was washed and rebuilt with Redline grease. Despite a heat-damaged bearing, the axle lasted another 20k, including several track events. It was replaced when it made too much noise turning.