MotoringFile RIP CD Player: The 2014 MINI to Ditch Physical Media

Discussion in 'MINIs in Other Media' started by JoeClubman, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Belhaven

Belhaven Active Member

Jun 2, 2009
    Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    I use compact discs with MP3 files loaded on them - can usually get 100+ songs on each one and they're less risky to leave in the car all the time.

2. eMINIparts

eMINIparts Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Mar 13, 2012
    MINI Parts Advisor
    Bedford NH
    Ratings:
    +1,090 / 0 / -0
    Someone asked me what a CD was the other day.....:(

3. DryMartini

DryMartini New Member

Dec 6, 2012
    Ratings:
    +479 / 0 / -0
    Vinyl is the only way to listen to Frampton Comes Alive. (Changing sides makes you a part of the band.)

4. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    It's a certificate of deposit!

Dave

5. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    How about a DAT tape, Laser Disk, or a Reel to Reel.

I know kids have no idea what a 45 or and LP is.

6. Gil-galad

Gil-galad Club Coordinator

May 19, 2009
    Male
    Decorah, IA
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    Well, I guess these sweet Mountek device mounts are off the F56 table now too:

[​IMG]

Always thought this was a great use for the 2nd Gen CD "lips." :arf:

7. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    True sound comes when you pull her hair... harder..

8. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,877 / 10 / -3
    If she hears that remark she may pull something….harder… And you will sound like a R53 at 7000RPM :yikes:

9. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0

Makes you wonder what the multi year plan for MINI is going forward...
    Maybe it will become a i-phone charger on 4 wheels...opps ...already there...
    For one I cannot wait for the gen2 connected systems to start to die like the gen1 nav systems...can just imagine the posts..."dealer wants $4000 to fix my radio!!".

10. WolfGTI

WolfGTI Active Member

May 21, 2009
    NJ
    Ratings:
    +217 / 0 / -0
    Hipsters and skinny jean wearing flat brimmers like bicycles. They mostly ruin cars, very disappointing if that is the market being targeted.

11. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    Pfft. CD's are so last century. Why anyone would be loyal to a format that's easy to scratch, thus resulting in skips is beyond me.

Now I get it for audiophiles who want records, and tubes and such, that's all fun and good and worthy. Carry on.

But CDs don't even sell in stores anymore though, no one buys them anymore, at least not in any significant volume. I've even read that Vinyl actually outsells CDs these days, so why worry about a dead format? Your local mall probably doesn't even have dedicated music store any more.

And why should they? Think about it - I can carry thousands of songs with me on any MP3 player or phone, or I can carry a few dozen songs in a wallet that gets left in a hot car.

Times change, media changes.

The writing has been on the wall for years. Just read this article from 2007, and look at how few CDs were selling then. The move to digital is done. I'm surprised anyone still ships anything with CDs any more. Heck, Apple's most recent computers don't even bother with them, and they killed the floppy drive back in 1998. There was a huge outcry back then over that dinosaur, and no one's even blinking at the similar recent move.

Despite revenue slump, RIAA still not getting the big picture | Ars Technica

12. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    The beauty of the CD is that that band that played that little club the other night can create them at home and have a few on hand at a show to sell. Otherwise they would have almost no distribution.

13. Angib

Angib New Member

Nov 25, 2009
    (Old) England
    Ratings:
    +425 / 0 / -0
    You mean the guys who used to sell cassettes?

14. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,877 / 10 / -3
    I miss the good old days

Attached Files:

15. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Yep.

16. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,877 / 10 / -3
    Digital is ok and I get the majority of music from I tunes. I would be lost without my click wheel iPod. But I still believe in the CD. Its important to have something tangible. If nothing els they are great for backing up. Don't get me started on cloud back up. My data stays with me.
    I agree with Nathan I've bought CD from small bands.

17. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    There are a lot of folks who have a large number of CD's they bought when it was the main stream. Some of the ones I have aren't on iTunes. My wife is not interested in digital media and likes her CD's. OK, you are young and into all the techno stuff, but not everybody is. What is the harm in just leaving the CD in the car or giving us the choice of the digital player or CD player?

Another interesting thing, is most of the folks I see driving MINI's are not young. BMW may not be playing to the correct demographic, but only time will tell.

18. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Yup I have over 200 CD worth of stuff you cannot get on iTunes.

19. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    Please read the following in a friendly tone of voice - I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I am worried about how the tone might be misread. :)

Did you know that iTunes (and other programs) can take the music from CDs and turn them into MP3's? It's been doable since the mid '90's. For nearly 20 years, this has been an easy thing to do. Granted, MP3 players didn't take off until 2001, but it's still been more than a decade since the iPod popularized MP3 players, and changed how people listen to music.

Look, my 80 year old father has converted all of his extensive collection of 1,000+ Jazz LPs to MP3, and without my help. If he can do that, then age is not an excuse. :)

The world changes, all the time. Especially computers and media. CDs are dying media and yes you can buy them from a small band, but you can convert that CD and put it on your MP3 player or phone in about 5 minutes.

5 minutes. Even the laziest person in the world has to admit that's not difficult.

Now I get the argument for having a physical copy. I tell people every day that you can look at a photograph from 1860, and you can't look at a computer file from 2000, if it was saved on a floppy (gone) Zip (gone) SyQuest (gone) Jazz (gone) etc, etc, etc. (print your photos is the lesson here). So you can still buy CDs if you want, but your car is not your home stereo.

Why should any manufacturer skate to where the puck has been instead of where it's going? Why should they invest a few hundred dollars per car in costs to support a legacy format? Should they have kept cassette players in cars for the mix-tape crowd?

I was happy that my MINI has an auxiliary audio port going into it. If it hadn't, I might have not bought the one that I did, I'd have bought a later model that did have one. I don't want or need full integration (the phone is better than any car software), just a way to get sound from the phone to the car. That's it. Heck, I don't even bother with the radio. I stream Pandora and Spotify from my phone.

And before you accuse me of being some kind of hipster kid, I'm 45. I just skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it's been.
    :)

20. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Sometimes when I skate to where the puck is going to be..... It's not thar....

Agree with everything your said Zapski... Been doing the same thing with my collection...

And I'm not 45....:D