Engine Drivetrain 1st Gen Cooper S RMW Custom Tune Party in Austin, TX, Oct 16/17

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by mini_racer, Sep 22, 2009.

1. MINIotaple

MINIotaple New Member

Sep 23, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    any update?

2. mini_racer

mini_racer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    We are still a 'GO'.
    However, I do have a call in to RMW and will touch base here after I hear back.

It is also about time to post the schedule, and get some deposits to lock in the slots.

3. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Passing along a little info from Jan/RMW concerning intercoolers on the S cars and recommendations. As far as air to air intercoolers go:
    For Gen 1 S (Super) cars:
    The stock unit is quite good, the 2-row larger unit that came in the GP is even better, but very hard to find those.

For Gen 2 S (Turbo) cars:
    The stock unit is not so good, so additional performance gains can be had by switching out to a higher performing aftermarket intercooler.

Taking it a step up, there are several more complicated and much more efficient intercoolers out there that are water-to-air based, and RMW even has a kit.

Concerning intercoolers or any other performance modification, it is definitely best to get it done before the tune, but if you can't then tell Jan what you will be doing such that he can consider those future mods while tuning your car.

BTW, this tune Party is definitely still a GO!

4. SK8BRD

SK8BRD New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Any answer on my question on R56 Justa performance gains?

5. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    I did speak to Jan about this and he just does not know. He definitely does not have enough experience to know what to expect. I am not sure if he has tuned any 2nd gen Justas yet.

Hopefully he can chime in here.

6. hohokam

hohokam New Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Student
    Denton, Texas
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Mini_racer what time did you schedule my tune on saturday?

7. MINIotaple

MINIotaple New Member

Sep 23, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Is this confirmed? Wondering if I can make hotel reservations yet.

8. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    I have you for the 4pm to 5:30 slot.

9. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    We are definitely confirmed

10. hohokam

hohokam New Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Student
    Denton, Texas
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    good to know, Thanks

11. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    #31 mini_racer, Oct 5, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
    Our Schedule

As we are less than 2 weeks away it is time to post the schedule as I know it today. Since every car is different there will be varying time needs on the dyno. I have scheduled 1.5hrs per car, but I think some cars may be done in 1hr, while others may take 2hrs. I ask that you all help me with flexibility in the schedule as some cars are coming in from as much as 5 hrs away. Make sure that I have your mobile # in case I need to call you for any reason, PM me with your # please, and I can give you mine.
    So far this is our schedule:
    Friday October 16
    1. 8:30am mini_racer R53 (SLOT LOCKED-IN)
    2. 10am Alan R53 (SLOT LOCKED-IN)
    3. 11:30am Ken R52 (SLOT LOCKED-IN)
    4. 1pm BTWdriver R56 (SLOT LOCKED-IN)
    5. 2:30pm Bryan R53 (SLOT LOCKED-IN)
    6. 4pm Ricardo R53
    7. 5:30pm Miniotaple R53 (SLOT LOCKED-IN)

Saturday October 17
    1. 8:30am Michael R56
    2. 10am boyeeshotrod R53 (SLOT LOCKED-IN)
    3. 11:30am
    4. 1pm
    5. 2:30pm stinkytofu R56
    6. 4pm Hohokam R53 (SLOT LOCKED-IN)
    7. 5:30pm

Alternates/On the fence:
    1. Nathan R53
    2. Noegel R56

Now is the time to make a decision if you have been thinking about it as there are a couple more buried in my email that are also considering. We will not be able to stay at the shop all hours of the night so you need to lock in a slot to be sure of getting a tune.

Also, now is the time for deposits. So, please PM me to provide a $250 deposit to lock-in your slot, unless we have already communicated on this.

One more thing, we will all get a soft file of our dyno pulls. It will be a pdf file, composite graph of your dyno runs on one plot. You will be able to see your baseline pull as well as the final pull showing the improvements. Also included will be a plot of your AFR readings across rpm for each pull. I can get these emailed to you after the tune. If you have a flash drive bring it as we might be able to copy the files to your drive on the spot.

12. btwdriver

btwdriver New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Terry or anyone else for that matter:

Any idea which Brisk plugs are good for the R56's? I looked on the Brisk site as well as some others and it seems like the Silver Racing are a good line of plugs. There appear to be 2 different plugs within this line for the R56's the MR12S for stock cars and MR12YS for modified cars. I assume that I should be getting the MR12YS's, but you know what happens when you do that.

I have an email in to Jan, but he has not responded yet. Any guidance would be appreciated.

13. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    #33 mini_racer, Oct 8, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
    I have already sent the list of cars and mods to Jan so he knows what we all have. I have also asked him to bring some plugs for us. I will make sure that he brings what you need for your car. Jan recommends one plug or another based on your mods and what he has seen on the dyno. So, what you need for your R56 may not be the same as what a more stock R56 needs.

for my R53 Jan recommends a single prong brisk plug instead of the JCW 4 prong because of the mods.

Don't worry Jan will bring the proper Brisk plugs and put your name on 4 of them.

14. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    For those of you attending this RMW Tune Party, are any of you interested in Paintless Dent repair? If a few of us are interested, I might be able to get a local mobile unit at the tune to take care of anything we might need. I am not sure about a discount, but I damn sure will ask for one.

So, any interest?

15. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    A word about fuel selection for the tune:
    One thing we should all be aware of is proper fuel selection. The fuel you are running for the tune is critical. Meaning that you should NOT go and fill-up with uber high octane fuel or add octane boosters, etc. for the tune just to maximize the dyno numbers. Yes, you will get your best possible number, but unless you plan to get that same fuel for every fill-up, the ECU will routinely yank the timing and you will end up with a tune that is not so tuned!

Your tune fuel should be the same, or as close to it as possible, as your daily fuel.

16. uMouse

uMouse New Member

Oct 12, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Iridium IX Plugs for R56

Any recommendations for which NGK plugs, 2009 R56?

BKR7EIX-11 (1 step cooler than stock)
    BKR8EIX (2 steps cooler than stock)

These are on Amazon with free shipping if you're interested.

Thanks

17. howsoonisnow1985

howsoonisnow1985 New Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Inmate
    Santa Cruz County Jail
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  18. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    #38 mini_racer, Oct 12, 2009
    Ok, I will inform the Houston guys thanks. We do have Metroplex MINI participation.

19. uMouse

uMouse New Member

Oct 12, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Damn. You must have seen my car! I need some major dent repair from the May hail storm. I just spoke to a fellow this weekend about doing mobile DR. Would be sweet if you can get a group discount. PM if you want his contact number. He's got a shop off of 183/620. Unfortunately my car will need days of magic to make it well again but every little bit helps.

20. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    #40 mini_racer, Oct 13, 2009
    Brian,
    I just heard back from Jan yesterday on the R56 plugs. He said he does not have any Brisk for the R56 and recommends to get NGK, but did not give a model number.
    Did you ever hear back from him?
    Have you already purchased some new plugs?

uMouse was also looking for some plugs.