Engine Drivetrain 1st Gen Cooper S RMW Custom Tune Party in Austin, TX, Oct 16/17

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by mini_racer, Sep 22, 2009.

1. btwdriver

btwdriver New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I didn't end up getting any plugs. I pulled on and looked at it and it seemed alright. I emailed a picture to Jan and he concurred, so I didn't order any.

2. mini_racer

mini_racer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Ok great, just checking. Let's all run through the checklist and make sure we are ready to go. I am going to go out and get another SC belt today, just to have it on hand. And I still need an oil change and a little bit of exhaust work. For me, Thursday is going to be a long day.

3. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Just FYI, I came across some data on an R50 from the Plano tune last year.
    MINI COOPER :: North American Motoring - RMW Tune in Dallas OCT 17/18

Go to post #153

Some of the details from txwerks..........
    Jan picked up a whopping 6 ft/lbs. of torque for our R50 between 1.8K and 3K rpms and 6 ft/lbs between 4K and 6k. There was a dip between in torque between 3-4K that he softened by about 2 ft/lbs. That's a range that we see quite a bit for autocrossing, so I gotta work on getting that solved. HP went up about 5 hp all the way up the line.

4. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Interesting but not relevant as SK8BRD is a R56 and Scott has a modified R50 with head work by DrMike.

5. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Well, I didn't say it was an apples to apples comparison............more of a reference point.;)

Since SK8BRD was anxious to get some data, I delivered the closest thing I could find, and there is not much out there for the justas.

6. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Well, we are all done with this event! We had 6 on Friday and 6 on Saturday with a nice mix of 1st and 2nd gen S cars. While we did have a few problem cars, there was only one that could not be tuned due to fuel delivery issues. So, bad pump, or clogged filter.

All of the tuned car owners came back from their test drive with a big smile! :) Jan had plenty of great advice for further performance improvements as well as some specific maintenance items required on some of the cars.

The shop was great and the tunes were awesome. For my car, I just can't believe how smooth it is now, it is really incredible how civil and well mannered it is with light pedal applications. Is it also much more fun to play speed racer, but if not careful you will get a nose bleed if you mat it to quickly! :D

I feel the need to go back to the track.

7. Alan

Alan Active Member

May 6, 2009
    retired
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Ratings:
    +98 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for making this happen Terry!

Lessons learned:

- I was an idiot to think the 539 belt would be fine for a 15% reduction pulley. It seemed to work, but the dyno don't lie. Thanks for bailing me out on that one Terry.

- A Magnaflow cat-back exhaust plus tune is good for over 10hp, and a motor that will pull past 7500.

- Stock injectors will not handle a free flowing exhaust. I'm on the hunt for some JCW injectors.

Alan

p.s. Thank You Jan for the suggestions for improvement!

p.p.s. Thanks to Classic Jaguar for fixing up my belt tensioner tool better than new!

p.p.p.s. I'm gonna give the car a good thrashing at ECR on Saturday. I'm interested to see what RPM it will pull on the back straight.

8. drksilvermini

drksilvermini New Member

May 23, 2009
    Student at Northwood University
    Harrisburg, PA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Lets hear some numbers:popcorn:

9. btwdriver

btwdriver New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I made 200hp and 230tq, pretty much a 20/20 improvement from before. Jan indicated that the Dyno was reading low 10-15hp/tq. The improvements Jan is able to make with the R56 is incredible, it pulls like crazy from 3K all the way up. I know there are some additional maps that he is working on, once he gets them nailed down, it will really be impressive.

One of the maps he put on my car made around 215hp, from 5200rpm and up. Unfortunately it wasn't as good in the lower rpm range so he pulled it back off. I attached my dyno sheet.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• Tune.pdf
      File size:
      43.4 KB
      Views:
  10. versus

versus Active Member

Sep 8, 2009
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
  11. Bor

Bor New Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    here is mine. Pure stock JCW Stage 1, will upgrade the intercooler in Dec and maybe the turbo next :)

Attached Files:

12. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Wow Bor, your after plots are not only higher, but significantly more smooth. I bet your butt dyno can really feel the difference.

I like more fun driving my MINI! :D

13. Bor

Bor New Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yes, feels great, mini_racer, the mpg dropped significantly though (from 32 to 26 mpg), but maybe that's because I'm having too much fun :D

14. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    #54 mini_racer, Oct 20, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
    BTW, I do have all of the raw data files from this tune party. So, if anyone wants their data just drop me a line. You will also need to download and install the DynoJet WinPep7 software, then you can open the data set in the WinPep7 app and view your runs.

After you play with it some you can learn a little more about the various runs/iterations on the tune to get to your final map.

I can even just shoot you a jpg image of your runs if you want, but we all did get a hardcopy after our session, some even brought a flash drive as suggested.

15. puresilvermcs2002

puresilvermcs2002 New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think that the DynoTune was perfect, I didn't have enough $$$ to do the Dyno, however talked to Jan regarding my Mini performance, he gave me some advice on new upgrades as well as remapped the ECU, fixing the yo-yo effect and the idle vibration, he mentioned that my car had the old program and he download the new one plus some improvements. Now my car runs like a champ. Next item on the list 380cc injectors ( JCW), Cam and Header, based on Jan's recommendations, so I already started my savings for these items.
    Thanks Terry, Classic Jaguar and all the other people involved in this event.

16. uMouse

uMouse New Member

Oct 12, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    #56 uMouse, Oct 20, 2009
    MiniCooperSssssss Dyno Day

Here here. Thanks Terry for arranging the dyno event. I learned a lot and it was fun to see how it all worked.
    I have an '09 r56 MCS, automatic. The automatic actually caused some trouble getting a clean run. Jan's explanation was because the automatic wanted to downshift and the specific dyno we were running on did not give him the knobs to properly load the front end.

I forgot to ask Jan if he enabled the Sport mode (I think yes) and disabled the traction controls (not sure)....
    What I have noticed post dyno is that in sport mode, tip manual, the car is a blast to drive. Smooth and pulls like a robber. In non-sport mode, automatic, it's very odd. The turbo wants to kick in almost instantly and runs through the gears with very light pedal pressure. I rarely drive it in this mode. It's annoying since the car defaults to this mode when you shut the engine off. We'll see. Perhaps it needs a bit of getting used to.

Here are my plots and mods at dyno time:
    ~9k miles on original oem plugs and tires.
    Alta boost tubes hot/cold
    Alta turbo back exhaust
    Helix stepped FMIC
    Removed factory air box/filter and replaced with K&N cone directly to MAF sensor.

[​IMG]

17. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Nice to see good results. Wanted to get down there but work got in the way...

Anyway, uMouse, sounds like you need one of DrO's sport button on all time thingies...

18. btwdriver

btwdriver New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    The sport mode doesn't make a difference as far as the tune, also when the car senses that the front wheels are moving but the back aren't, it automatically turns DSC off.

As far as the light pedal pressure is concerned, I think I kinda know what you mean (though I have a manual). What I have noticed since the tune, is that as soon as the car starts building boost it builds boost fast. Going from basically 0 boost to around 15-17 psi almost instantly. If you happen to lift right when the car starts to boost it feels a little funny, but really is fine.

19. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    #59 mini_racer, Oct 20, 2009
    Hey BTW,
    You are going to have to give us a report after your first post tune DE. I am just guessing here, but you might like the way the car pulls better at your next event............just a guess!

Also to all those at the tune. Recall Jan informs that this dyno is running a little low, according to him about 8%, so take your numbers and adjust accordingly for the 'real' numbers. I guess it is just the nature of the beast that dynos seem to run a little different on calibration.

20. uMouse

uMouse New Member

Oct 12, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    #60 uMouse, Dec 7, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
    It's been some time since the tune and I wanted to give feedback on the experience so far.

1) Gas mileage is bad. I heard mixed reviews before dyno. Given the leadfoot syndrome (fun), others reported that your MPG might "improve" from the smoother maps. For me... it has been a negative experience. Here are my MPG numbers:
    28, 26, 25 Dyno, 24, 24, 23, 26, 23, 24
    My driving habit was lead foot leading up to the dyno, lead foot post dyno, and then grandpa since to see if i can maximize the MPG. Now, even driving sanely trying not to launch off the line... i can't get the MPG over 23/24.

2) Sport mode, automatic vs manual paddle shifting.... I've forced myself to drive non-sport automatic. The experience is not pleasant, the turbo wants to spool up to 2k and shifts with even the lightest pedal pressure. If you lift at that point then it's an awkward oscillation of turbo on/off. The problem is worsened by not being in Sport mode. Now manual paddle... again engine wants to spool up to 2k and then cuts out. You either shift or be in oscillation again. I can only describe it as akin to hitting the rev limiter and your engine cuts out.

3) The only drivable mode is Sport+manual. In this case the turbo can spool up and your engine can rev way into 5-6k without issue.

4) And lastly, the CEL has come back. I was hoping Jan could address this #2 02 sensor issue. I have the Alta catback exhaust and it's always a pain to clear that O2 sensor light. Not really a pain but my PLX Kiwi is in the shop. Does this CEL affect my engine performance woes from above?

These are my experiences so far in my application. This is the first car i've dyno'ed so would be glad to hear others experiences and tips on what I could be seeing.

Thanks,
    Michael