1st Gen R50 Cooper RMW Remote Tune experience?

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by dannyhavok, Aug 21, 2012.

1. dannyhavok

dannyhavok New Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    Hey guys,

You may remember me from that disaster of a "built R50 motor" thread. I've decided against getting a new head, the cost is just too much. However, I am considering getting a RMW tune. I'm in Victoria, Canada, and Jan is south of LA. Of course, a hands on dyno tune is best... so I'm toying with the idea of a roadtrip next year. However, that's a 22 hour drive! If I do that, I'll get the camshaft as well.

The other option is just getting a remote tune, which is $650 I think, plus the $300 module, which I imagine I could sell later if I wanted to.

Anyone out there remote tuned by Jan? Are you happy with the results?

2. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
  3. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    A1, do it!!

RMW for results, RMW for the win!:cool:

4. TheModFather

TheModFather Well-Known Member

May 15, 2012
    11 years in the ARMY, 2 years of being a multitale
    North Denver CO.
    Ratings:
    +5,322 / 0 / -0
    I would start by giving Jan a call, an email, smoke signal, pigeon, or just get in touch with him directly by some means. Sit down and weigh your options. Cover them all. Think about the long term and short term goals, and make a plan.

Save some cash and make the trip to California. Get everything installed and tuned on the spot.

When you are all said and done, an honest handshake is going to be in order before driving away, and enjoying that first 22 hours of many years of happiness to come.

As for the remote tune option... They are just as good as an in person dyno tune. But think to yourself... Do you want to get a tune, or do you want to start a tuning relationship with the tuner face to face?:Thumbsup:

5. dannyhavok

dannyhavok New Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the input guys! I actually have been in touch with Jan. He said he'd rather do a hands on tune for the best results, but of course remote is an option as well. It would be ideal, but it's a big trip, and I already have my vacation time (and money!) next year earmarked for a trip to Europe.

However, I do agree that it's good policy to forge relationships with professionals like your mechanic, tuner, etc.

A trip back up the coast in my tuned car would be a blast, too... :Thumbsup:

6. dannyhavok

dannyhavok New Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
  7. mini_racer

mini_racer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    While a custom tune for an R50 will yield results, it will not be anything near what can be gained by tuning an R53. So most don't bother touching the ECU on an R50, instead they start with an R53.

8. dannyhavok

dannyhavok New Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I understand the tuned R50 is a real rarity. Common sense dictates if I want more power, to buy a more powerful car... however, I'm deep into this car mod-wise (see sig.) and I'd hate to start all over again with suspension, etc, on another car.
    :confused5:

9. TheModFather

TheModFather Well-Known Member

May 15, 2012
    11 years in the ARMY, 2 years of being a multitale
    North Denver CO.
    Ratings:
    +5,322 / 0 / -0
    Yes but, when you dont have or want an R53, it makes sense.

There is actually quite a bit besides just HP that can be gained by tuning an R50. Granted you will see a gain in power aswell but it will only be 10 maby 15HP. The R50's weigh so much less that it is more noticable than 10 HP on a 53, not to mention where that power is being added.

10. mini_racer

mini_racer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Good Luck with that.

11. dannyhavok

dannyhavok New Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    Well, as I've said before (and I know you weren't talking to me here.) my purpose is not to street race against R53's (or anyone.) and win, it's just to improve what I've already got in the garage. A little more pull, a little easier highway passing, etc. If I just needed speed, I'd get another motorcycle.

(I am actually considering a trans-am/camaro/foxbody mustang for a second car to satisfy that particular urge.)

12. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    Don't think you can sell the Remote Tune Module as it's tied to your VIN number I think.. That is to keep a group of guys from pitching in to buy one and everybody using it...
    I have a Jan tune on my R50 engine, at a Tuning Day 5 years ago here in NC... Cost was about $450. $350 for Tune, $100 for dyno time... Some people will think it's not worth the money but since I have kept it so long afterwards I think it was. Granted I'm not sure I'd pay $800-$900 for it... For just alittle more then buying the Tuning Module you could get a cam.. Make a vacation out of the trip down there, have cam installed and then tuned. Hang out in the area for a day or so just in case you have any issues before heading 22 hours home...

13. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    You can sell it, it just needs to be reset; you can work that out between you, Jan, and the purchaser. What you can't sell is the tune that Jan puts on it.

That's a good point about the cam though--you could put the money toward that instead of the flash tool if you can get your car to Jan's neck of the woods.

14. dannyhavok

dannyhavok New Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    That makes sense about the module. Can you tell me a little about your tune? Where in the rev range any power gain is, how dramatic the difference is tuned vs. untuned? General impressions, any negatives, etc? Thanks!

Something to inquire about! However I suppose it would make sense to keep the module if I needed any changes to the tune in the future. A cam is a tempting proposition, but I have to weigh the cost and time of a trip down there, too.

15. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    If anyone is planning on contining modding their Mini, the module is a must have so Jan can update your tune as you progress with your car. 2cents

16. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    Here is what I posted in your other thread:
    "I do have a "Jan Tune" as it's called on my R50 engine. Granted I only picked up 7-8 HP and TQ peak, BUT there were areas within the curve that I gained 15 ft lbs. I now have a whopping 113 HP and 113 Ft Lbs... at a cost of about $450 for the tune/dyno time... Been on the car for about 5 years and 80,000 miles and still kicking.. I do have a DDM CAI, and Megan Racing cat-back.. both installed before tune.. Maybe with a good cam you could pick up another 8-10 HP MAYBE, which would put you in the 120-125 HP area.. and $800- $1000 spent range depending on cam install rate, and which cam you buy... Just not much power to be gained in the R50 engine at any price really.. So it just depends on what you want and how much money your willing to spend to get it.."

No ill effects at all. No codes, bumps or hic-ups since day one..
    Good to hear you can sell the Tuning Module.. The advantage of having the Module would be if you took your car back to the dealer and they flashed your ECU you can "reflash" it back to your tune..
    I don't have my Dyno sheet with me currently, but I believe most of the increase was in the 3500-5500 rpm range...

Read more: http://www.motoringalliance.com/forums/cooper/6198-anyone-build-r50-engine-yet-5.html#ixzz24Hdv5YTR

17. RallyMini370

RallyMini370 Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Engineer
    Central America
    Ratings:
    +1,587 / 0 / -0
    I'm planning on going the Jan tune route as every HP I can get is worth it. I plan to bring the R50 engine up to JCW spec as rules do not allow me to modify the engine beyond what is available from the manufacturer. My main focus will be getting the Mini down to a 2030LBS weight and adding an LSD/ 5:1 diff to get the power down.

18. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Very light wheels will help you use every bit of power you already have.

19. dannyhavok

dannyhavok New Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    I'm considering some 11.4lb Kosei wheels. I have 16" feathers now, but I'm leaning towards downsizing.

20. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: If you haven't already done it; trash the heavy run flats.:Thumbsup:

Jason