1st Gen R50 Cooper RMW Remote Tune experience?

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by dannyhavok, Aug 21, 2012.

1. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Can you go down to 15's, or are 16's required? The 15's make a HUGE difference.

2. dannyhavok

dannyhavok New Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    Oh no, those are long gone. Running Yokohama S.Drives, considering Bridgestone Potenza RE11 for next summer.

3. dannyhavok

dannyhavok New Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    Oh yeah, the kosei are 15". :thumbup:

4. dannyhavok

dannyhavok New Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    Just bumping my old thread! Anyone else out there have any experiences to share?

I was re-reading the email exchange I had with Jan, and I had misread something, adding the cost of the custom cam with the tune and module pricing... so a remote tune is actually about $300 cheaper than I thought it would be. It's looking a lot more tempting now!

On the other hand, I suggested a road trip down the coast to my better half, and she's pretty keen on the idea for next summer. We're going to London and Berlin in May, so it would be probably 18 months from now before I could get the time and money for the adventure.

Tough call... instant gratification or wait awhile longer and really get it done right?

5. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    Wait and get it done really right.

6. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Waiting to get it done right the first time is always better. I know it's very hard to wait but the wait will be worth it.

7. dannyhavok

dannyhavok New Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, you guys are right... even seeing my question written down, it's pretty silly. I might as well save up for a new head and go all out :lol:

8. wzabrouski

wzabrouski Active Member

May 5, 2009
    Executive Director
    Keller, TX
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    Had my R53 remote tuned by Jan 6-8 times as mods were added. It get more accurate if you can data log while making some runs. I would email him the data log files to view and he would make the necessary changes. I would say go for it!

9. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    I'd think if your using the type of Dyno that Jan likes that the remote tune would be just as good as him sitting right there beside your car. Especially if like wzabrouski said you can data log at the same time..
    Just a matter of how many mods do you wait to get before getting it done!!! and redone as the mods pile on..

10. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
  11. dannyhavok

dannyhavok New Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the replies, guys!

I should clarify that it's not just remote vs. tuned at RMW, but rather canned vs. not canned. I've been in touch with two dyno shops, one in town and one in Seattle that Jan recommended. Both of them stopped replying to my emails when I told them my car was a naturally aspirated Cooper. I'm not sure why, as my money is as green as the next guys, but maybe they just don't like platforms that won't see big power gains as it may open the door to customers with unrealistic expectations and complaints. Just speculating, of course, but regardless, the choice is between getting a cam and maybe even a head plus a tune in SoCal from Jan, or just getting a remote canned tune.

12. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    #32 Jason Montague, Jan 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
    :cornut: Just my opinion from what I've heard from other 'Justa' people. A tune without other significant engine upgrades will only result in small power increases. Get the head/cam/exhaust and then a tune should help more. Then again, the amount of money that you'll spend doing this could get you, with your trade in, an R53 super or an R56 turbo. Either of these cars will have more power 'stock' than your now very expensive 'Justa.':Thumbsup:

Jason

13. dannyhavok

dannyhavok New Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    Well, even if the head/cam/tune comes in ~$2.5k, that's still not enough to get out of my R50 and into an R53, judging by local market prices. The other factors to consider are:

- The money I've already put into the R50 would be out the window (Coilovers, exhaust, intake, sound system, tint, light weight wheels plus tires for summer and winter, and on and on.)
    - The low mileage (55,000KM) and "known quantity" re: my current car. It's been rock solid, and a new used car is always a gamble.
    - If I go ahead with these mods, I'll be finished modding, rather than getting into a new mod vortex with an R53 and all the possibilities there
    - My lack of self control with the throttle means I'd likely get into more trouble with more power
    - The fun of having a bit of a sleeper and probably the quickest NA Cooper in town

Just thinking out loud here, not being argumentative. I know the R53 is the more sensible platform for performance upgrades, but I've got what I've got, and I like it quite a bit. I just think it would be fun if it was a BIT quicker. :Thumbsup:

I think if I ever feel the need to REALLY go fast again, I'll get back into motorbikes.

14. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    United States Navy ..Retired
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    I didnt read all of the 4 pages.. however there is a great mod for the r50!!
    1) a good water meth system ( $550.00- $895.00 USD) then 2) add in a Nitrous wet shot. Keeping it real at a 40-50 HP shot. ( 500-600.00 usd)

Now you have all the fun of really waking up the guy next to ya when you hit the bottle.

Keeping conservative on the HP output from the NOS, you will have a lot of fun for a LONG time with No issues!!

SOOooooooo.... there is a 50+ WHP for as little as 1000.00 to 1500.00!! Keeping all your original Inj and tunes.. yes??

Just saying..........................

Thumper

15. dannyhavok

dannyhavok New Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    Hey Thumper,

We've discussed this before. I have no desire to run NOS in my DD. A cam and tune and maybe a head is as crazy as I want to get. I'm not drag or street racing so a NOS shot isn't suitable.

16. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    United States Navy ..Retired
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    LOL... See I should have researched your ideas..lol sorry!!

Thumper

17. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    Now I'd say wait till you can afford your parts and make the trip down to Jan..
    Canned tune on your car now will get you to about 113 HP and tq. While a nice increase not what you can get if getting head,cam and other parts in a year or so..''. Just be careful to now out HP the clutch/tranny...

18. dannyhavok

dannyhavok New Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    I'd have to dig through some emails to be sure, but I think Jan said a cam/tune would net ~15-20HP. I'm not sure what a head is good for... I'll have to look into that.

The car is pretty "young," less than 40k miles on the OEM clutch and the Getrag tranny... I'd imagine it could handle the relatively modest gains I'm looking at.

19. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    HP comes at a price.. Assuming the Cam/Tune plus cam install runs about $1100-$1300
    for 15-20 HP that is a wide range of cost per HP. Anywhere from about $50 to $80 per..
    Depending on how much you end up with. Add in the roughly $2400 head plus install, and I'm guessing 12-16 HP, if doing all that you might as well do a header too.. Whew that is going to be pricey but you may end up with 35-40 HP and TQ increase.. Plus a much better curve with it all through out!!!
    Cam-$400 + install
    Head-$2400 + install
    Header-$300-$900 + install
    Tune- $400 + or - not sure what Jan charges as his place..
    At those prices your at $100 per HP, really over 100 per with labor rate factored in and depending on how much HP/TQ you end up with..
    I'm guessing well over $4000 total parts and labor... and at best 150 HP ( I know Jan has built a full race R50 motor to 200 HP )
    I'm in the same boat as you, I'd like to have more power but already spend a fortune on my current car and don't want to start over with an R53. I don't have/not willing to spend the money to do what your doing BUT if I did, I'd have to look hard at what it would cost to find a good complete R53 driveline and switch it over. You instantly have much more power then what your going to end up with here.. and I'd bet for not much more money if any more.. $2500 for driveline and then $2000 for install..( guessing here ) Just something to think about...

20. dannyhavok

dannyhavok New Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    Hmm... you know, I may have been kind of glossing over the labor cost factor here. That's a pretty stark reality check. If those price are an accurate ball park, I'd be comfortable with ~$1100 for the cam/tune, if I rolled it into the general expense of a fun trip down the coast, but the head is starting to look like a real point of diminishing returns.

For $4000 all in, I might just be better off buying a fox body mustang for going fast and leaving the Cooper internally unmolested.

Plenty to think about, thanks!