1st Gen R50 Cooper RMW Remote Tune experience?

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by dannyhavok, Aug 21, 2012.

1. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    With just a tune you'll probably end up with around 112-115 HP & TQ How much you actually gain will depend on how good/bad your engine is currently. I only gained 7 or 8 peak HP. Jan said my car was alittle stronger then most already, so I didn't gain as much.
    Did have some areas within the TQ curve that I gained around 12 foot pounds..
    So while I spent $500 it was worth it to me and came out to less then $100 per HP

but of course check with Jan for all prices, labor rates, and HP estimates...

2. dannyhavok

dannyhavok New Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    I appreciate your input N2MINI, there are so few tuned NA Coopers out there, it's really hard to get any information. It might be best for me to just "dip my toes in the water" with a canned tune and then if we decide to drive the coast in 18 months, figure out if I want to go further then.

Numbers aside, would you say your car feels noticeably stronger/quicker? Better acceleration? If you could give me an idea of how dramatic the before/after was for you, that would be really helpful. If I had a little more pull at ~3000RPM so I wouldn't have to shift into 3rd to accelerate quickly from 60MPH or so, that would be worth it right there.

3. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    Depending on how much your having to pay for your tune I'm pretty sure you'll think it is worth it.. It's not like it will be suddenly a whole different car. You will pick up most of your Tq in the mid and upper half of the RPM range.. Which seems to be what your after... It's not going to do too much below 3000-3500 but you'll gain some around there and it will really wake up at 4000 up to 5500..

4. dannyhavok

dannyhavok New Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    Thanks! Its not too pricey, I think I'll go for it. If I still need more, I'll start thinking about hunting down a clean r53, and swapping over the suspension bits. I think a few extra ponies will keep me entertained for awhile though.

5. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I'd love to have another 20-30 HP but just not cost effective to get it on a Cooper.

6. Eric@Helix

Eric@Helix New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 4, 2009
    Shepherd
    Philadelphia
    Ratings:
    +1,257 / 0 / -0
    This is a very good post--I would only edit that instead of looking hard at what it would take to swap a drivetrain, I would look at what it would take to swap R50 for R53. Your dollar to HP ratio would look tons better. I think that the OP has considered this. I have had this conversation with quite a few R50 owners over the years and have never once convinced the R50er to swap for a supercharged car. Maybe it's the perceived hassle of swapping cars, or maybe it's the love for the 50, or maybe it's my poor persuasive skills, but people hang on to their R50s.

7. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    I can't speak for others but for me, the reason I'd think more of getting the R53 driveline from a wrecked car and swapping that way is once I get the car back from you it's done.
    If swapping all my stuff to a good R53 which will cost much more then just getting a driveline from somewhere, I also need you to put the R53 stuff on to my R50 so I can sell it...I could probably swap most of it over my self, just a matter of taking the time to do it and being able to afford the R53 before selling the R50.. and I'd no longer have my Hot Orange paint which is the reason I have an R50 to start with. HO only came in Cabrio, which added to the cost of the car, moving up to the "S" car was more money then I was willing to spend in 06 when I bought it new for around 24,500..
    I currently have 111,000 miles and still running strong, but have been thinking more lately of what to do when it's time for a clutch and or engine rebuild..
    If your willing to throw out ballpark price for the drivetrain swap.. and if you have seen any decent R53 drivetrain prices..

8. dannyhavok

dannyhavok New Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    Well, I've decided to go for it, the canned remote tune. I fired off my last few questions to Jan, and when I have the summer wheels back on and I'm able to drive for fun again, I'm going ahead with the remote tune. Who knows if I'll end up going down the coast for a cam/tune, getting an R53, or both, in the future, but this should be a fun mod and it sounds like it's worth the modest investment, especially considering how much I've already got into the car.

I'll throw out the questions I had for Jan here as well, maybe someone can help.

1) Is there any risk of frying my ECU or anything generally going horribly wrong?
    2) Is there any benefit to tuning for 94 vs. 91 Octane? I have access to 94 in town, but on roadtrips I wouldn't, necessarily.
    3) Can the throttle sensitivity be tweaked? As in, can I sell my SprintBooster to cover a portion of the expense?

Thanks for everyone's input, I'll certainly update this thread after the fact. :Thumbsup:

9. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    1- I doubt it. Anything is possible I guess, but never heard of anything like that happening.
    2- Probably not as much difference on a non "S" street car.
    3- No idea

10. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    1. Yes, if you don't have a good constant voltage from the battery you can brick the ECU. Have a battery tender connected during the flash process. It is very very rare that this happens but be safe.

2. Don't bother, when you are out of 94 range you may suffer if pushed to hard.

3. Yes, discuss with Jan as to the goals.

11. mini_racer

mini_racer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    1. No not really, but no arguments with Nate's statements if you need some risk aversion or even just have a possibly weak battery.
    2. Best to select a grade, then use it or higher exclusively
    3. Yes

The goal is area under the curve (ie drive-ability) , not peak. Be realistic with your expectations and you will be happy with the end result.

12. dannyhavok

dannyhavok New Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    Thanks guys. It's a new battery, but I'll throw a tender on there just to be on the safe side.

I know you need to stick with the octane you're tuned for, I just wondered if there'd be any appreciable difference in power/performance with 94 v. 91. If there is, I can opt for 94 and keep some octane booster in the trunk for the rare occasion I leave the city... if not, I'll go with 91 just to keep things simple.

13. TheModFather

TheModFather Well-Known Member

May 15, 2012
    11 years in the ARMY, 2 years of being a multitale
    North Denver CO.
    Ratings:
    +5,322 / 0 / -0
    Do the 91 if you ever plan on a road trip. Its all we have in parts of the country. You might miss out on 1 HP but its worth the extra safegaurd.

14. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Or get a meth kit and enjoy the extra octane benefits along with the cooling.

15. KittyMini

KittyMini Club Coordinator

Jun 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,183 / 0 / -0
    Or keep a Dimsport in the car and switch to a 91 tune if you can't find 93 :Thumbsup:

16. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    United States Navy ..Retired
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    Yes.. there always is a risk!! however they are very few and far inbetween...cool??

KEEP the 91 tune and get the benefit of a slower fuel burn on the 94 when you can find it.

YES.. it is an easy tweek to get the pedal responsive and loose the Spirit Booster!! Jan can do that on the tune.

Just me.................................

Thumper

17. dannyhavok

dannyhavok New Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for all the input guys! It sounds like 91 is the safest bet. I will get a battery tender as well. Just waiting to hear back from Jan, hopefully I can get this done in a couple of months.

18. scoopieb

scoopieb New Member

Oct 1, 2012
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    There is a Jan tune 4 in SEA in the works. If you go on the puget sound mini club site you can find out who to contact about it. Bring your girlfriend on down to Seattle for the weekend. I think it's funny you being from Victoria, Seattle is a nice weekend trip. All of us here in SEA think the other way. A nice trip up to Victoria! It's a beautiful place up there!

19. dannyhavok

dannyhavok New Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    Thanks so much for the heads up! I'd be really into that, and my girlfriend is keen on a weekend in Seattle. Neither of us have ever been!