1st Gen R50 Cooper RMW Remote Tune experience?

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by dannyhavok, Aug 21, 2012.

1. dannyhavok

dannyhavok New Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    Well, it's settled... I ponied up for the cost of the tune and I'll be driving to Seattle/Tacoma next month. Thanks again to scoopieb for the heads up! I'm glad I'll be able to meet Jan and get my car on the dyno for a proper tune, and it'll be nice to meet some semi-local MINI enthusiasts.

Any other members here attending?

2. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Have a great time and enjoy your custom RMW tune.

3. dannyhavok

dannyhavok New Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    Thanks! I'm really looking forward to the drive home :D

4. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4

:Thumbsup::Thumbsup:

Yup may it be a long and fast one.:Thumbsup:

5. TheModFather

TheModFather Well-Known Member

May 15, 2012
    11 years in the ARMY, 2 years of being a multitale
    North Denver CO.
    Ratings:
    +5,322 / 0 / -0
    I love it when people make the right decision. :)

6. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    The best.

7. dannyhavok

dannyhavok New Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    :Thumbsup:

Occasionally I get one right! Honestly a trip to SoCal was out of the question for the next 1-2 years, but I can make it to Tacoma in about four hours, so this was really a no brainer. I just hope it's warm enough for me to put my summer rubber back on before the trip. Considering the trees outside my window are full of chirping robins right now, it SHOULD be! :lol:

8. TheModFather

TheModFather Well-Known Member

May 15, 2012
    11 years in the ARMY, 2 years of being a multitale
    North Denver CO.
    Ratings:
    +5,322 / 0 / -0
    Yeah the north east has been getting pounded with snow, meanwhile here in Colorado, I find it very difficult to keep the top on the Jeep at least 2 days out of the week. :p

9. dannyhavok

dannyhavok New Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    I realized I had not finished off this thread with a conclusion/review for future interested R50 guys.

First off, Jan is a hell of a nice guy. I arrived early at SpeedFactory and chatted with him for a bit while we waited for the shop to open.

As for the tune, while it didn't transform the car into a power monster (obviously.) the results are pronounced. The most dramatic difference is that it pulls smoothly all the way to the redline now.

Previously it seemed like I needed to shift, especially from 1-2, very early (around 3500RPM) because it felt like there was a huge drop and I wouldn't be able to accelerate any more. Now I can smoothly run out 1st gear to 6000+ and land in 2nd at right in the meaty part of the power band. Overall this makes acceleration from a standstill much quicker.

The second benefit is the slight bump in tq/hp means not having to downshift every time I need to speed up a little on the highway. Having a little more power between 4-5K makes speeding up to pass less of a "wing and a prayer" situation.

Overall I'm glad I went for it. Considering how much I spent for a weekend away, the cost of the tune and the dyno time, it was a bit steep... however, being so deeply invested into this car, I didn't have much choice but to finish what I started and go all the way. For anyone looking to make big power the answer is obviously forced induction, but to any other diehard R50 guys out there, the tune really "wakes it up" and I would say, go for it, if changing platforms isn't a real option. I'd like to keep the R50 forever, make a trip to California and have Jan install a head/cam, and buy a bigger car with better GT capability (the new WRX looks great...) but keep the MINI for my weekend runabout.

One final note: I can't know for sure if this is a result of fresh plugs (only 60,000KM on the originals.) or the tune, but without changing my driving habits, I haven't had to fill up the tank since I was approaching Port Angeles on March 10th. As of yesterday I still have a third of a tank left, and I normally need to fill up every two weeks. For my next tank I will actually be tracking the mileage and I'll see if it's an actual improvement or just a coincidence.

[​IMG]