RMW Smashes Buttonwillow Track Record!!!

Discussion in 'Racing MINIs' started by minimark, Mar 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JSart

JSart New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Way to go Ian and Jan.

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Why is there nothing on any of the pages of results found here?

Results » Redline Track Events - Road Racing with a Twist!

You'll note the dates are from March 5-6. Yet this event that is of the same name was held a week later?

3. Jan

Jan Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

May 16, 2010
    Ratings:
    +382 / 0 / -0
    did you NOT watch his video where it said done in 2008? ROFLMAO
    come on Nate...........wake up:devil:

4. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Not sure why the mix up there, but the official Redline time slips and everything are in hand. Maybe Ian can explain...if it's like NASA events, the official results are slow to be posted on their site. Believe there are discussions going on, on the Time Attack forum about the event.

5. Mrsideways

Mrsideways New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -1
    #25 Mrsideways, Mar 16, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
    This wasn't done though redline we did this on a speedventures time attack (which looked to have a lot more cars then what I've ever seen at redline). Same rules.

Maybe someone can comment on the old Mini but in Redline Classing essentially means nothing. My Showroom Stock Completely unmodified Focus runs in Unlimited because I use hoosiers. Yet a car with an engine swap making 1000hp can happily run in the lowest class because it runs on street tires. Classing is almost entirely based on what tires your running. They've tried to add stuff over the years like a ride height requirement and a couple little things but the basic gest is... class based on tires. The previous record was held on a full slick so therefore it was unlimited. We ran in Mod Class which was a lower class.
    Unlimited your suppose to add a cage (even though I've seen plenty of unlimited cars without cages) and Jan really doesn't want to Hack up the interior of his GP to add a cage. I think he's thinking about dropping the whole package in his lightweight red mini that has a cage just to go see if we can crack the 40's there by loosing 500+ lbs in the car.

Nate... here are the results....
    http://www.speedventures.com/results/Default.aspx
    Choose the date 3/13/11

6. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Got ya, thought it was Redline... "egg on face"....

7. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Again...

I'm going to make myself as clear as possible here....

The video Canyon Motorsports MINI Cooper S Turbo Super Lap Battle Time Attack Buttonwillow Raceway is from a 2008 Redline Time Attack in a MINI from Canyon Motorsports MINI Cooper S Turbo prepped by DEP and ABF Performance driven by Bob Scheer, with same CW13 configuration that this latest claim is from.

However....

And again, taking nothing from Ian's driving skill and the car prep by Jan and Crew.

The Redline Time Attack site lists the dates of the event as March 5-6, 2011

This "record" was set the on March 13, but from what I can find it was NOT a RedLine Time Attack event but a Speed Ventures event.

The times are listed here

Speed Ventures - Results

I am not doubting the time set, nor the skills involved. What I am having an issue with is that the cars may be set up for different rules.

I think it's great that the speeds and ability are progressing. However, if you going to come onto my site and make claims such as this they need to be backed up. I should not have to dig to find the event and times. These should be put out there when the claim is made.

8. Mrsideways

Mrsideways New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -1
    Nate, if you go to the speedventures site they list in their rules that their time attack rules are the same as redlines. The online results are weak. Most people registered and ran under a fake name. I don't know why this is but I think it's for insurance reasons. I saw a lot of taped over and removed license plates. Anyway Jan and I snapped Cell phone Pics of the results sheet.

9. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I'm not doubting the results, the times are there. I only want to make sure that we are comparing the same things. I'm very sensitive to the hype machine and what it does to a site.

10. Mrsideways

Mrsideways New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -1
    I nathan I have no doubt. The record Jan was shooting for was the OVERALL fastest Mini at Buttonwillow. His car is not as modified as the previous record holder and was running a Lower(slower) class. We ran in Modified which requires some interior, DOT tire 50 treadware or higher. That's about the only rules. The previous record was from a car running in unlimited which is unlimited and has no rules.
    If you want rules Go NASA or SCCA racing. Time Attack is not the place to worry about rules because they are very weak in comparison. Just about any class allows you to make as much power as you want.

11. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    #31 minimark, Mar 16, 2011
    Understand Nathan.

Simply put: no MINI Cooper in any class has run an officially timed lap under 2:00 on this configuration until Ian ran the 1:58 this past weekend. This is the same configuration that the ABF car ran on and held the previous track record.

Not hype. Results.

No Mini Cooper unlimited or not has ever gone that fast there.

It is the overall Mini Cooper track record for Buttonwillow 13CW!

12. Longboard

Longboard New Member

May 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Relax big dog!

No hype and your site is safe :lol:.

Just one fast car with one crazy good driver.

LONGBOARD

13. Mrsideways

Mrsideways New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -1
    For classing reason's for other series. This car would run in GTS4 with NASA or TTS... (due to the HP number, but we weren't running the tires you'd run in either of those) and with SCCA it is legal for Street Mod Fwd in autox.

14. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    1. I just watched Bob's video. I have a question for everyone:

Why can't any of you shoot a decent video???!!!!

2. You all need to come down. If everything is kosher, as it seems, a little clarity shouldn't get any of you panties in a bunch. We've all seen past claims from various parties. Fastest Mini on a Saturday in April between 11 a.m. and noon (a record which I still hold by the way) and the like. So a little transparency is good.

Good job on the time. Looking forward to someone beating it and you coming back at it and so forth and so on.

Yay!!! Fastest Time.

15. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    #35 minimark, Mar 16, 2011
    One thing for sure, records are made to be broken and few stand forever...... But ain't that the fun of it!!! :)

..and Jan, Ian; go get a GoPro please. ;)

16. Eric@Helix

Eric@Helix New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 4, 2009
    Shepherd
    Philadelphia
    Ratings:
    +1,257 / 0 / -0
    Slow down there Jinkster, that's mine, and you know it.

17. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    ... west of the Mississippi. Better?

18. Mrsideways

Mrsideways New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -1
    We were more concerned about running the time then shooting video. I did a rally school and used up all the memory on my camera so I was deleteing things and clearing memory just to get the crap video I got. I also brought my camera mount from Florida with me on the flight (TSA had a ball with that). When I mounted it I looked and said crap it's too low, but I didn't really have a better solution at the time. I looked and said, well at least Jan's got his Smarty cam in the car. If mine comes out bad we have that as a back up.
    GoPro is not a good solution IMHO. No real good sound recording and the lense makes it look way faster then it's actually going and mounting it in the car where you can see the driver is a PITA. Hence most gopro video is on the hood or roof or fender or some other worthless location with sound overlay.

I'm looking into the Contour camera's because they are Cheap... 1080p ... GPS in the Camera. My only question is the sound quality as that's a big part of recording video to me. I just don't want to spend $350 and find out the sound is junk. We messed around with the Contours at rally school but the rally cars were so muffled down that you couldn't hear the exhaust anyway.

19. Eric@Helix

Eric@Helix New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 4, 2009
    Shepherd
    Philadelphia
    Ratings:
    +1,257 / 0 / -0
    Nice try. I broke it in St. Cloud, MN: west of the Mississippi.

20. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    St Cloud strattles the Mississippi river, where was the track?