RMW Smashes Buttonwillow Track Record!!!

Discussion in 'Racing MINIs' started by minimark, Mar 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Ian,

I mount mine on a headrest mount. Of course a bit hard to do with racing seats. I hear you on the sound. While my P&S shot a nice video last time I was out, there was barely any sound. My old Nikon Digital did a bit better before it died. Must have had a better microphone.

I wonder if something like this would have a good enough mic for in car shooting:

Toshiba Camileo H30 Camcorder - 1080p - 10.0 MP - 5 x optical zoom - Black

2. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    The sound from a Go Pro is actually pretty good, it filters out the wind noise. And Cravenspeed makes a nice tow hook mount, unless you're trying to get the interior as well. Better for instruction but not as dramatic.

GoPro Camera Mount - CravenSpeed Online

3. Mrsideways

Mrsideways New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -1
    I currently run a JVC HD camera with a wide angle lense and a I/O camera Mount.
    The I/O mount is awesome as it survives wrecks (needed in racing) and it mounts to a cage. The problem is mounting it in cars with no cage (ie Jan's car). Jan's car has the GP brace across the back which I mounted it to... it was just to low. The I/O mount also dampens vibration though the Red urethane area. It's a freaking nice mount. It's just made for race cars not street cars. I don't run my camera in HD because half the time you get a 5 min call in grid that turns into 10 and 15mins due to someone being towed off track. I don't have a big enough memory card to handle 15mins of sitting still recording HD. Also once your belted in it's near impossible to reach around and turn on and off the camera. My camera HAD a remote but I've long since lost it.
    [​IMG]

4. Alan

Alan Active Member

May 6, 2009
    retired
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Ratings:
    +98 / 0 / -0
    Shot with a Go Pro...

It has an adjustment now for focal length. And if placed correctly has good sound.

My bud at the track in College Station, Tx.

[ame="http://vimeo.com/20858395"]SCCA TWS 3-06-2011 Spec Miata Qualifying[/ame]

5. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Wow, looks and sounds pretty darn good! Is this the latest GoPro?

6. Johngo

Johngo New Member
    Supporting Member

May 18, 2010
    Art Director
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Ratings:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    Is it me, or is that Miata wearing that dude out? I haven't driven a race prepped Miata (just a street), but that looked like a fight... :)

7. Alan

Alan Active Member

May 6, 2009
    retired
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Ratings:
    +98 / 0 / -0
    Yes, it is the latest Go Pro. He got it beginning of the year.

And yes, the car will be a little skittish the first couple of laps. I think they are back running RA-1s this year.

8. YesIFit

YesIFit New Member

May 25, 2009
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Name dropper...

9. YesIFit

YesIFit New Member

May 25, 2009
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Yup ... they wear you out.

10. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    Running a Spec Miata is a helluva thing. Driven one at a few Autox'es. Basically manual steering (not much boost) and grip for days. That car was waaayyyy better than me. I've got serious respect for the guys that run the series.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

11. putterfarm

putterfarm New Member

May 18, 2009
    Bum.
    Pittsfield, Pa.
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    :D

You went from breaking the track record to discussing camers. The one thing left out is that Jan's MINI now runs with Group4's basic aero package, splitter, wing extension, canards & diffuser, all of which make the car handle better making it faster through the corners, ect. ect.

Congratulations Ian & Jan, great results :Thumbsup:

Mark

12. Alan

Alan Active Member

May 6, 2009
    retired
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Ratings:
    +98 / 0 / -0
    Has anybody posted any test results for the aero stuff?

I've missed it.

13. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Don't have any real test figures but after installing the canards and wing extension it definitely is more stable through the high speed turns, giving me a lot more confidence to keep the peddle down!!! ;)

14. putterfarm

putterfarm New Member

May 18, 2009
    Bum.
    Pittsfield, Pa.
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    :cool:

Test results, feedback from drivers from across the country, are as follows: 1sec./mile, on average, depending on which track of course.
    At thunderhill Jan's MINI ran a 2:02 min. lap, at Sebring Ian dropped over 4 sec. per lap, in Texas a driver reported 2 1/2 sec. drop in his lap times, in Col. with just the splitter a 1.2 sec. drop was reported. I could go on and on but you should know that our aero aids are NOT being taken off, they function.

This is Jan's thread, we should be talking about his record breaking run:Thumbsup:

Mark

15. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Mark talk away, your products helped to get the record and you should be darn proud!! ;)

16. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    This thread has run it's course...

My congratulations go out to Jan and his crew for building a rocket, and to Ian for laying down times that will be hard for others to beat.

However, we need to move on from here now.

Thanks for understanding...