Rock Slide Closes Dragon

Discussion in 'MINIs on the Dragon 8 (April 28 - May 2, 2010)' started by Nathan, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Ofioliti

Ofioliti New Member

May 9, 2009
    Professor
    ... always curious
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    ^ Correct!

That scarred slope looks pretty bad.

2. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    ... and it's quite possible that they won't have a "final" decision on that until the boulder/overhang is actually removed.

If *I* were the state DOT geologist called in to look at it... and I knew that if I said "aw, that don't need no stabilizing measures" and I was wrong and there was later another slide... I think I'd err on the side of caution...

3. Ofioliti

Ofioliti New Member

May 9, 2009
    Professor
    ... always curious
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    Oh man, you're right. I have some colleagues who are responsible for making the call on whether to evacuate whole towns when a volcano shows signs of unrest. That's a tough job. :frown2:

4. Mol

Mol New Member

May 5, 2009
    self employed
    In front of the computer
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    #44 Mol, Mar 21, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
    They can't do any blasting.They can't use dynamite do to the close proximity to the Dam.

5. kgdblu

kgdblu Active Member

May 7, 2009
    living
    Severna Park MD
    Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    Perhaps alternative routes to Fontana/Robbinsville should be posted...just in case. There are a lot of folks who aren't familiar with the area and we don't want them to get lost..

6. Snooter

Snooter Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Canton, NC
    Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    #46 Snooter, Mar 21, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
    Good idea Katie...maybe we can wait a week or so and see how the work progesses. I can maybe toss something in the downloadable event guide if need be.

7. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Hmmmmm. That seems a little overly cautious... It's not *that* close to the dam.

But (thank God) I'm not a civil engineer.

8. Mol

Mol New Member

May 5, 2009
    self employed
    In front of the computer
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    #48 Mol, Mar 22, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
    I encourage everyone to still attend MOTD; you WILL have a great time no matter if you get to drive the Dragon or not. The road may be cleared by then.

If the Dragon is not reopened by then, I suggest to everyone not spend a dime in Tennessee. Fill up and eat a meal before crossing into TN. Do the rest of your business while there in NC. And be sure to let the Gov. of TN know that he is not getting a penny from the MINIs. I think it would also be a good idea to let other car clubs know, Miatas, Cobras, Porsches etc. If we all write to the TN Gov and let him know of our plans, this may or may not change things, but it will get their attention.

Please POLITELY write, call or e-mail the TN Governor, Phil Bredesen, convey your intentions and respectfully ask him to reconsider closing the section of 129 known as The Dragon and please reopen it.

Governor's Office
    Tennessee State Capitol
    Nashville, TN 37243-0001
    Phone:... 615.741.2001
    Fax: 615.532.9711
    Email: [email protected]

9. Mol

Mol New Member

May 5, 2009
    self employed
    In front of the computer
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Please send a note of thanks to SEN John Snow, he has been the first to respond to the situation and is working hard on our behalf to get the Dragon reopened to the slide area. He has been very diligent on this and we need to let him know we appreciate it. [email protected]
    Thank you!!!!

10. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    SNOW up there today! From the dealsgap.com site, a Skyway pic:

[​IMG]

11. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Created a form letter with the help of Mol that can be sent to the gov.

See Letter to TN Gov

Feel free to use as is or edit to your liking.

12. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I'm not completely clear on this. The slide looks to be on the TN side, north of the line, but the Dragon seems to be on the NC side to the TN line. If the TN side is closed at the slide, can't the part on the NC side still be driven to the TN line? Then turn around and go back.

Jim

13. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Depends on what part you call "The Dragon"

The vast majority of what most folks call "The Dragon" is on the TN side of the line.

14. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

Most folks consider the Dragon to start at the Deal's Gap Motorcycle Resort - where NC 28 T's into US129. Then it goes into TN either to the Overlook (the traditional end) or Tabcat bridge (what I consider the "end" to be).

The slide is further north off this map, along Chilhowee Lake.

15. Mol

Mol New Member

May 5, 2009
    self employed
    In front of the computer
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

The Dragon is officially from Tabcat bridge to the Store, aka CROT (Cross Roads of Time). Locals now start making "passes" from the Overlook to the Store.

It is 11 miles, 10 of which are in TN. There are no crossroads or driveways along this part of 129.

More about the Dragon, see here:
    http://molly-smith.com/my-articles/the-dragon/what-is-the-dragon/

16. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    How did I know Mol was gonna reply? ;)

You guys have the same cabin this year? If so, I'm next door. :Thumbsup:

17. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Now I got it. For some reason I thought it was on the NC side to the TN line, but it is actually from the NC line (or there abouts) into TN. The maps I've seen did not clearly note were the line was.

Thanks,

Jim

18. Mol

Mol New Member

May 5, 2009
    self employed
    In front of the computer
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    It's the one thing I know :D

Yes, we are in the same cabin as last year.

19. kgdblu

kgdblu Active Member

May 7, 2009
    living
    Severna Park MD
    Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    Also, 129 is how most folks coming from the north get to Fontana....so sign that letter folks!!!

20. Snooter

Snooter Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Canton, NC
    Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    latest entry from Brad at Deals Gap:

Ok folks more clarification and some encouraging news this morning on the US 129 rockslide.

Clarification: The facts are the slide is just south of the foothills parkway so currently you can not get to the Gap from US129, TN72, Happy Valley or the foothills parkway. The Dragon is closed at the state line. It was Graham county not NC that has offered support to get the Dragon open but with all you emails the state is getting involved.

Ok this morning I have several emails from TN as well as NC officials and am in the process of setting up a meeting with several agencies to see if we can get a mutual aid agreement between the two states that will allow the road to be reopened at least to Tabacat bridge so we can all still enjoy the road.

I will tell you that so far all the responses from both Tn and NC have been positive and that is great. That is encouraging to me that the states seem willing to work together on this.

So look at the top of the web page you will see our new "Save the Gap" link. We need emails of encouragement to all of our state reps. Let them know how much everyone would love to see the states work together on this and thank them for there support and work. We can not control nature and do not wish anyone hurt doing a rush job on a clean up. But our government is supposed to work together like they are now and fix the things they can control like where the road block is placed.