Rock Slide Closes Dragon

Discussion in 'MINIs on the Dragon 8 (April 28 - May 2, 2010)' started by Nathan, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Snooter

Snooter Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Canton, NC
    Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    #81 Snooter, Apr 1, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
    Here is some incouraging news. Brad just posted this email he got from Senator Overby in TN:

Rep. McCord and I just had a meeting with TDOT Commissioner Gerald Nicely. Comm. Nicely indicated he thinks they have the law enforcement piece worked out or nearly worked out for the Highway Patrol to patrol the Dragon during daylight hours (8 to 8). They do not, however, have the EMS piece worked out and he says it will take a written commitment from North Carolina that the state of North Carolina can provide suitable and appropriate EMS coverage. This written commitment needs to come from someone in North Carolina with authority to commit the resources to provide EMS coverage and needs to be addressed jointly to Commissioner Nicely and Safety Commissioner Mitchell. If such a letter is and can be forthcoming, please favor me with a copy

Brad already has the letters in hand and feel that the barricades could be moved within days!!! The road will open from 8:00am to 8:00pm and will be manned by two law enforcement officers at all times. So if this happens as planned we all need to plan in the rules and not mess up all the hard work that everyone put in to get this done

2. KittyMini

KittyMini Club Coordinator

Jun 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,183 / 0 / -0
    Ugh, it's a shame but true! Local businesses are really gonna be hit by this.

At least most of us are still going :Thumbsup:

3. kgdblu

kgdblu Active Member

May 7, 2009
    living
    Severna Park MD
    Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    we have to make sure we spend as much as possible at Deal's Gap....normally, I don't buy tshirts there, because I have too many already. This year I'm going to, just to help fill their cash registers.
    Gonna try to eat a lot of lunches there as well....maybe we need a daily Deal's Gap Lunch & Shopping "run"....

4. Mol

Mol New Member

May 5, 2009
    self employed
    In front of the computer
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    UPDATE: from the Deals Gap Facebook:

Ok Gang the new official day is monday for the Dragon to be reopened. TN had some questions that needed answered from NC to finish up the agreement. I just left t he County EMS office...thanks Larry. We have answered all the questions and once Graham county manager...thanks Kim approves it will send it off.

5. KittyMini

Jun 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,183 / 0 / -0
    Oh, that would be awesome! :yesnod:

6. Mol

Mol New Member

May 5, 2009
    self employed
    In front of the computer
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Lawyers have oked all the paperwork Monday (4/12) at 8 am The Dragon will be if full swing from 8 am until 8 pm everyday.

7. KittyMini

Jun 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,183 / 0 / -0
    YYYYYYEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!! :cornut:

8. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0

Or how about a very large "tip" jar that could be passed around and delivered to the chamber of commerce....:idea:

9. kgdblu

kgdblu Active Member

May 7, 2009
    living
    Severna Park MD
    Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    I'd rather drive, eat and shop..but that's just me..

10. Mol

Mol New Member

May 5, 2009
    self employed
    In front of the computer
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    The Dragon is now open 8 am - 8 pm

[​IMG]

11. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    W00T!

Now if we can convince the local LEO to let us do Midnight on the Dragon....

A huge thanks and kudos to all the folks that worked so hard in getting this done.

12. Mol

Mol New Member

May 5, 2009
    self employed
    In front of the computer
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
  13. kgdblu

kgdblu Active Member

May 7, 2009
    living
    Severna Park MD
    Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    The fact that they agreed to open it during the day is a total bonus....don't push your luck in asking for a midnight run....

14. MINIBee

MINIBee New Member

May 4, 2009
    Senior Video Producer, St. Petersburg Times
    Tampa, FL
    Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    I was there at 8 AM when it opened. Did some video of the gates being unlocked and then I was the second car in (not counting US129 Photo and the Leo) behind a GTI. Did six runs this morning, four of which were all the way through with no one else on the road. It was awesome!

[ame=http://vimeo.com/10885383]MINIBee at the re-opening of the Dragon on Vimeo[/ame]

15. KittyMini

Jun 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,183 / 0 / -0
    That's awesome!
    :Thumbsup:

16. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Your own private Dragon. Wow.... I've had some clean runs before - but never like THAT.

17. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Only 2 LEO's / THP for 11 miles.....BONUS!:D:devil:

18. Mol

Mol New Member

May 5, 2009
    self employed
    In front of the computer
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Here is a ride report from a Rider friend:

Well, here's my report:

Road conditions: very good all things considered. There was a good bit of dirt on the north side of Shade Tree, but everything else was remarkably clear. No need to do a full on broom patrol.

LEO: Here's where it gets interesting. There were two as expected. Whether from their own boredom or design, they shifted positions quite frequently. They are serious about keeping a lid on people being idiots. I talked to one THP for a few minutes, and he was a little ill about the folks that did get the awards today. Seems they had already been given a friendly warning. Bottom line, local or not you will get a ticket. Also, troopers from outside the area have been putting in requests for duty up there because of the serious overtime so count on there being a lot of new faces behind the radar gun. And they will absolutely not care if you have made 3000 passes and know the name of every corner.

Traffic: Very minimal. I honestly expected to see more folks. There were probably never more than a dozen bikes at the store at any one time. I hope for their sake that that changes as word gets out.

Rumor of the day: Hottest rumor was that they may get one lane open on the lake in a couple weeks (15 days). I would take that with a grain of salt. As you all know the Gap breeds rumors like Tribbles. I won't believe it until theroyz71 posts it.

BTW, the warning sign on the gate is not the only one. There are a couple others as well as one approaches the gate.

Final take: Is it as fun riding without cracking 45? Absolutely not. Is it better than not having the road open at all? Without a doubt.

19. KittyMini

Jun 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,183 / 0 / -0
    Well cool, thanks for the update.
    I am very pleased to be able to hit the Dragon when I get down there.