1. murph

murph New Member

Jun 12, 2010
    Marietta, Ga
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    #2 murph, Jun 12, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2010
    I have the factory roof rails on my '10 Clubbie. I also got the Mini cross-bars, but they look pretty much identical to some made by Thule. I got the Thule Atlantis 1600 in Black (to match my car). It fits perfectly on the Mini cross bars. It's a well-made and good looking cargo carrier, it holds more stuff than I've ever needed to carry for a weeks vacation etc.

BTW I don't know if they still are, but REI had their cargo boxes (and everything else) for 20% off a few weeks ago--they sell Thule and Yakima--both good products.

They weigh about 40 lbs empty i'm guessing, not heavy, but a little cumbersome for one person to handle (although it's usually just me putting it on or taking it off). It attaches VERY easily, it has 4 clamps that open up and "grab" the cross-bars. The clamps tighten from inside the cargo box by turning a knurled knob...no tools required...takes maybe 4 minutes. The cross-bars require an allen wrench (included) that I keep in the glove compartment. Again, not difficult and it takes about 10 minutes to put them on.

Both the Thule and Yakima boxes are aerodynamic and don't make much noise (if any). They are not noticable unless you open the sunroof while driving, and then it's not much more than w/o the box up there.

I'm sure there is probably a measurable difference in acceleration (when loaded), but it's not noticeable in normal driving and I'd say the same thing for the handling. You're not supposed to put more than 150 lbs (as I recall) in the boxes anyway, so if fully loaded it's like carrying your obnoxious cousin on the roof :) the center of gravity is higher, but the weight doesn't affect vehicle dynamics all that much. It is a bit more susceptible to cross-winds on the highway, with the box on, but again, nothing like my SUVs were.

You will have to get a shorter radio antenae ( I use a Craven stubby) which look better anyway IMO.

I don't have a pic of the cargo box on the car, but I'll post one of the cross-bars.

Hope this helps somewhat !

Murph

2. murph

murph New Member

Jun 12, 2010
    Marietta, Ga
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    #3 murph, Jun 12, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2010
    Here's what mine looks like with the cross-bars installed....sorry I don't have a pic with the box up there...but there are some guys with pics over on NAM if you do a search over there...

[​IMG]

Here's a view where you can see the "stubby" antenae. I think you won't need a shorter one if you get a 1200 sized box, but the 1600 requires it (for both Thule and Yakima)

[​IMG]

3. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Thanks for the reply, I'm trying to decide whether we can get by without it for the MITM/MTTS event this summer. It's just me and the bride, but we're planning to take the MINI-poopers, and just like kids, they require a ton of additional crap.

Do you take it off once you get to your destination, or leave it on?

One mfr says not to drive on the hiway with it unloaded, but that was a cheap off brand, not Yakima or Thule.....

4. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    You need one of these:D
    [​IMG]

Even at 80mph I don't feel it back there.

Mark

5. murph

murph New Member

Jun 12, 2010
    Marietta, Ga
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey Dave....I leave mine on when I get to my dest. There is no problem leaving it on while empty. I also carry 2 (very large) chocolate labs around, so just having them in the back necessitates the cargo box.

Mark...LOVE that 'lil trailer....way cool!

Murph

6. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Mark, funny you mention the trailer, I'm going to order a hitch this week - mostly so I can carry a couple of bicycles as well as tow my trailer with my ZTR on it between the house and our "country place".....

I also thought about getting one of those flat cargo carriers that attach to the hitch receiver, but then you have to wrap everything to keep it dry.....

We can pack everything in the car, we've done it before, so maybe we'll just have to take less stuff!?!?! :D

I'd love to see your teardrop -- it looks great!

Zyamfier (The Kernel of CORN) has one that he hauls behind his MCS too....