Brakes Wheels 2nd Gen Tires Most liked posts in thread: Rotors at same time as brakes?

1. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    I change out my rotors if they need it. I usually can get two sets of pads to one set of rotors. I am not the last of the great late braker's & don't set them on fire when I'm driving in a spirited manner be it track or back road drive.

You really should look at your rotors closely. Are they grooved, have a lip on the edge? Measure the thickness too. Brakes are not a good place to save money.

2. quikmni

quikmni Moderator

Jun 6, 2009
    Aerospace Engineer
    Orcutt, CA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    How the rotors wear really depends on what pads and rotors are used. The OEM pads seem to be very soft and wear quickly compared to the rotors. My track pads eat my rotors for lunch. So as all have suggested, check the rotor thickness and compare amount of wear to miles driven with pads to estimate if the rotors will last through another set of similar pads.

3. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Ok I'll go agents the grain on this one. I have gone through two sets of Hauk pads on my car. I don't turn the rotors unless there are really bad. On the next change I will get new rotors.
    I find if I don't use my brakes the last longer. :D

4. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    I agree - I usually get two sets of pads to a set of rotors.

I bought OEM pads till I got out of warranty, and tired of the black dust - now I use ceramics.

I know a lot of people who are perfectly happy with Autozone Ceramic pads and rotors, that's what I used the last time too and I have absolutely no complaints - and no dust!

But do not take a chance, if you have more than 60K on your rotors, replace them.

5. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I did not change my rotors every brake job because I was using EBC Reds and they kept falling apart. (3 times front / 1 rear) :rolleyes:

At 60 k (last Spring pre Dragon) I replaced all pads and rotors and upgraded to R56 brakes.

6. Rawhyde

Rawhyde Active Member

Apr 7, 2012
    Facilities Engineer
    Mountains of NW Georgia
    Ratings:
    +233 / 0 / -0
    Measure the thickness of your rotors and compare to the minimum thickness. Most of us have found that the rotors are pretty thin by the time pads are needed.

7. quikmni

quikmni Moderator

Jun 6, 2009
    Aerospace Engineer
    Orcutt, CA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    The issue usually is that the rotors might have some life left but should be turned to clean them up for the new pads which even leaves less material. However, the old rotors will probably not last until the pads need to be replaced again so you will end up replacing the rotors sometime down the road before the pads need to be replaced again. Thus most just change the rotors with the pads.

8. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    #4 Dave.0, Aug 11, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
    I would replace them both at the same time but I do not buy OEM "dealership" rotors because they are way overpriced. :rolleyes:

9. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    This is very true. A track pad will chew through a rotor pretty darned quick. :yesnod:

10. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    Much of it depends on the pads used....
    OEM pads seem to have a bit of Steel wool (a common additive in lower priced pads)..results in TONS of black dust...and a bit more rotor wear...
    I have a set of Akeebonoo pads (said to be the same as CAR-Quest brand Ceramics...marking are the SAME side by side)sitting on the shelf...will be used with a set of Centric rotors (high carbon ones..a SLIGHT upgrade) in a couple days...pads IMO are ok to mail order...rotors...unless you get free shipping..get them local...
    My opinion...
    toss the new rotors on...if you buy a $75 set of pads...and the rotors you cheaped out on by reusing warp...you SHOULD buy new PADS for....so by going cheap..might cost you more...

11. Carve906

Carve906 Member

Aug 13, 2009
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Very good insight and opinions here once again. Thank you everyone. The rotors look petty well used, so I'll be replacing.

Is there a good "how-to" for rear r56 brake change? (I use my ios devices for internet and can't get the search feature to cooperate it seems). It's been a while since I've done the pad swap.

12. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    If my rotors measure well or I'm changing pads before they are worn out. I run my orbital sander over them to clean them up and smooth the out surface.