RSR Finishes 6th and 7th in Class at Daytona

Discussion in 'Racing MINIs' started by Nathan, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    The GRAND-AM 200 has been run and the RSR Cars finshed 6th and 7th in the ST Class.

MINI # 128 driven by the team of Cattaneo and Trinkler finished in 6th followed about behind by the 196 MINI driven by the all Texas team of Farmer and Hart. The 195 MINI driven by Mizayan / Sarian finished 33 rd in class.

71 Cars took the green flag in the combined GS /ST class race.

Daytona is a tough track for the more upright MINI with very long runs on the tri-oval section where aerodynamics is a big factor.

Congratulations to the team for a great start to the 2011 season.

The race can be seen on Speed, Feb 5 at 3:00PM ET

2. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    A very good showing on a tough track team RSR.:Thumbsup: Seems like the added weight didn't hurt as much as I thought it might.

3. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    I don't know, the 50 pounds had to hurt, last year they were running 2nd when the crank pulley failed...

Still this was a solid finish and something they can build on!

4. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    DAMMIT.........why not put the results in the post and not the subject!!!

SPOILER ! !

:D

5. rsstopper

rsstopper New Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    #5 rsstopper, Jan 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
    Hi guys and girls .... Welcome to 2011.

198 with Owen and Sarah finished 6th
    196 with Ron and Jason finished 7th
    195 with VJ and Chris DNF when the alternator failed.

197 was not entered but will race in Miami in March. We chose to sideline the 4th car early to make sure the prep on the other 3 was perfect.

Finishing top 10 at Daytona is as satisfying as a win. The aero handicap of the high banks of Daytona is severe. We were +2 seconds off the leade'rs best times. But, our strategy and pit stops were perfect and the cars ran flawlessly.

The team and the drivers are all very pleased.

Next stop is Miami where we won the pole in 2010

Randy

6. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    A lot of discussion about the new surface and alterations during the run-up for the 24 hour race. Did any of that make any real, noticeable difference for you guys?

7. rsstopper

rsstopper New Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Track was very smooth . . . nice. ALL four qualiyfing records by class (DP,GT,GS,ST) were broken for the Conti and the Rolex. That certainly says it all.

For ST qualiyfing, the top 18 cars THIS year would have won the pole LAST year.

8. RllyDrvrIX

RllyDrvrIX New Member

Oct 22, 2010
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Congratulations to the team! See you at Watkins Glen in June!

9. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    Congrats Randy and crew...I have a feeling there's going to be one heck of a party at Mid-Ohio :D:Thumbsup::beer:popcorn:

10. ronnie948

ronnie948 New Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Retired
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    #10 ronnie948, Jan 30, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
    A great race

I was sitting in the stands at the Horseshoe and it seemed like the Mini's were in their element going around that bend. They could take any line they picked and absolutely nothing looked as good as the Mini's on that turn. The long stretch was the downfall.

Every single person I talked to at the race all said they enjoy watching the Mini Coopers do their thing.

Randy, You and your crew rock & I'm betting you are going to own the shorter twisty tracks.

As I said, No other car was as smooth and perfect as those Mini's on that tite horseshoe turn.

:Thumbsup:

[ame="http://s410.photobucket.com/albums/pp189/ronnie948/Rolex%202011/"]Rolex 2011 pictures by ronnie948 - Photobucket[/ame]

************************Here are my pictures on photobucket (Click on blue bar)*************************************

11. mike@MynesTuned

mike@MynesTuned New Member

May 16, 2009
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Congrats to you and the team Randy:Thumbsup:. Finishing 6th and 7th in a field of 71 is definitely NOT a simple task. Plus this is only the 1st event, i'm sure the results will only get better from here...

12. JasonHartRacing

JasonHartRacing New Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Driver/Coach
    Flower Mound, TX
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Watch RSR Mini's on Speed at Blue Goose Cantina!!!

Hello all, 1st post here :cornut:! I have the pleasure of driving the #196 USLED / RSR Motorsports Mini with Ron Farmer. There will be a get together at Blue Goose Cantina in Highland Village, TX this Saturday at 2pm to watch the Continental Race where we hope to get a second or two of air time. :popcorn: No reservation necessary and everyone is welcome to come. Matt Mortimer (partner in Blue Goose) will be tuning the tv's to Speed for us. Hope to meet some of you there. Cheers, J

13. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Sounds like fun, I've added this to my calendar for the weekend.

14. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Hey Jason, welcome to M/A. Congrats on the 7th place finish, and at Daytona no less!

15. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Welcome!

Wish I was closer.......:cryin:

16. JasonHartRacing

Feb 1, 2011
    Driver/Coach
    Flower Mound, TX
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks guys, good to see Randy on here raising the flag as well. Cheers, J

17. sdmidget

sdmidget New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Senior Planner
    Lancaster, PA
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    The CREW (AKA Firebottle Steve) is represented here as well!

:Thumbsup:

18. JasonHartRacing

Feb 1, 2011
    Driver/Coach
    Flower Mound, TX
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Right on Steve...great 74' as well!

19. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    RSR Motorsports Rises to Challenge, Earns 6th and 7th at Daytona

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla.--The word "challenging" was heard often in the RSR Motorsports camp as the MINI Cooper S team prepared for the season opener at Daytona International Speedway. Never ones to back down, the team rose to the challenge by earning sixth and seventh in the ST class of Friday's GRAND-AM Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge race.

Carrying all-new graphics and sponsorship from Cruise America, Thor Motor Coach and US LED, the RSR Motorsports MINI Cooper S entries proved that small can still be mighty, even on the high banks of Daytona.

"Our cars were two seconds off the fastest ST car's pace," notes team owner Randall Smalley. "That's a reflection of the high banks, and Daytona is the toughest track for us all season. Thanks to a great race strategy and flawless pit stops, we were competitive the whole race. I'm thrilled."

Owen Trinkler and Sarah Cattaneo earned the sixth-place finish in the No. 198 RSR Motorsports MINI Cooper S. They were a formidable duo during last year's season finale at Miller Motorsports Park, but even they were surprised with their finish.

"I didn't expect to do so well; we had just been hoping for a top ten," says Cattaneo. "We're looking forward to Homestead in March. I had the pole there last year, so coupled with our sixth at Daytona, it's a real confidence booster."

"It felt good to finish," enthused Trinkler, whose past four appearances at Daytona have ended in retirement. "We got valuable points and got what we needed to get this season started right."

Trinkler also competed in the Rolex 24 at Daytona, co-driving the No. 63 Team Spencer Mazda RX-8 with Jim Downing, David Murry, Dennis Spencer and Rich Grupp. Despite some early setbacks, the team crossed the finish line 18th in the GT class.

Ron Farmer and Jason Hart made an impressive RSR Motorsports debut, finishing Friday's 2.5-hour race with the seventh spot in ST. Farmer qualified the No. 196 RSR Motorsports US LED MINI Cooper S and drove the first stint.

"We certainly didn't have the goal of a top-ten finish, being at Daytona in a MINI, and facing a lot of firsts. It was my first qualifying and our first race in the car," says Farmer. "To qualify sixth and finish seventh felt great."

"This gives us a big boost. We're still rookies, and we know we still have a lot to learn, but this has raised our expectations," says Hart. "Ron had an outstanding qualifying, using the draft to his advantage, and the crew had flawless pit stops during the race."

After a solid start for Chris Sarian in the No. 195 RSR Motorsports MINI Cooper S, he and co-driver VJ Mirzayan had to retire with an alternator problem at the halfway point of the race.

-source: rsr motorsports

20. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Reminder: This race is on Speed right now!