RSR Motorsports’ Trinkler is Right at Home on Barber’s Turns

Discussion in 'Racing MINIs' started by Nathan, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    LEEDS, Ala.—RSR Motorsports driver and team manager Owen Trinkler can be hard to track down: on any given day, he might be at his home in Nashville, Tennessee; at the RSR shop in Orlando, Florida; or at a racetrack. This weekend, though, Trinkler will race on his home track of Barber Motorsports Park during the GRAND-AM Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge Barber 200.

Trinkler has a lot of laps around Barber, where he gets plenty of track time as an instructor with the Porsche Driving Experience. He will put that insider’s knowledge to good use during Saturday’s race, driving the No. 198 RSR Motorsports MINI Cooper S sponsored by Cruise America, Thor Motor Coach, US LED and Pilot/Flying J Travel Centers.

“If I only win one race this season, I want it to be this one,†says Trinkler. “Barber is hard on tires, but the MINI is really consistent even on old tires. The turns also suit a short wheelbase car like ours.â€

Sarah Cattaneo shares driving duties in the No. 198 RSR Motorsports MINI, and she knows firsthand how much of a benefit Trinkler’s home track advantage can be. “Owen worked with me at Barber last year and it’s tremendous how much he knows,†says Cattaneo. “Barber is one of the most beautiful tracks we visit, but passing is a challenge there. That’s where Owen’s knowledge will be really helpful.â€

Ron Farmer and Jason Hart will co-drive the No. 196 US LED MINI Cooper S. After starting the season on two speedway tracks, Farmer is looking forward to returning to a traditional road course.

“Barber is a lot of fun, and its layout is in our favor,†says Farmer. “A track with a lot of turns, like Barber, will be an advantage for the MINI because we benefit from great handling and braking.â€

Dicky Riegel makes his 2011 debut this weekend, co-driving with VJ Mirzayan in the No. 195 RSR Motorsports MINI Cooper S. “I can’t wait to get back in the MINI, especially after the success that the team has had in the first two rounds of the season,†says Riegel. “I know from talking to my teammates that the cars are really well set up, and we should be competitive not just at Barber, but for the rest of the season.â€

“Dicky and I make a great team, and we hope to be competitive at Barber,†says Mirzayan. “Barber is a tight track, so it should fit the MINI well. We just have to get our strategy perfect, especially when it comes to getting through traffic.â€

RSR Motorsports is sponsored by Cruise America, Thor Motor Coach, US LED, MINI USA, Pilot/Flying J Travel Centers, Performance Friction Rotors, OS Giken Racing Clutches and Limited Slip Differentials, Midway Ford Truck Sales, Mini North Scottsdale, Motul USA, Performance Speed Tech, and Carbotech Pads.

The three RSR Motorsports MINI Cooper S entries will start the Barber 200 on Saturday, April 9, at 12:30 p.m. ET. Keep up with the team online at RSR Motorsport / RSR Racing.

2. mini_racer

mini_racer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the thread/post Nathan, this is going to be a good one.........:)

3. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Is anyone here actually going to the race? If I lived near, I'd be there!

4. sdmidget

sdmidget New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Senior Planner
    Lancaster, PA
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    I'm going!!

:D:D:D