RSR Motorsports: Celebrating En Route to Laguna Seca

Discussion in 'Racing MINIs' started by Nathan, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    SALINAS, Calif.—RSR Motorsports already has a lot to celebrate as they prepare for this weekend’s round nine of the GRAND-AM Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge at Mazda Raceway. By the time the race is over on Saturday, they hope to have even more to celebrate.

Owen Trinkler, Team Manager and co-driver of the No. 197 RSR Motorsports Honda Civic Si, is celebrating his newest title of father. Trinkler’s wife Kim gave birth to the couple’s first son, Lucas Owen Trinkler, on Saturday, September 1.

Trinkler has plenty of experience at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca, but his co-driver Corey Fergus will be visiting the track for the first time.

“The Honda is a very balanced car and has good top speed, and I think the car’s performance surprised people at Barber, which has some similarities with Laguna,†says Fergus, who celebrated his 24th birthday on Saturday. “I think we can be competitive there, and Owen certainly knows the fast way around Laguna. We can make it happen; we just need things to go our way in the race.â€

Mark Congleton, who drives the No. 195 RSR Motorsports MINI Cooper S with Chris Puskar, is hoping for a good qualifying session on Friday to help celebrate his 11th wedding anniversary. Laguna is Congleton’s favorite track, and he is looking forward to putting the CaseTech-sponsored MINI through its paces.

“The handling of the MINI is really strong around that entire track. The handling is just so good, and it’s easy to drive the MINI around Laguna Seca,†Congleton says. “The camber in the turns allows you to really throw the car into the turns. It’s just a great track. The turns are very quick so you can really feel the side forces.â€

Ron Farmer and Jason Hart had the highest-finishing RSR Motorsports entry at Laguna last year, taking 9th in a MINI. This year, they return in the No. 196 US LED Honda Civic Si.

Chris Knox and Randall Smalley will complete the RSR Motorsports lineup, co-driving the No. 198 MINI Cooper S. Knox is no stranger to MINI racing: Knox is the 2011 British MINI Challenge champion and he drove with RSR Motorsports in the season opener at Daytona. Knox will also join the team for the season finale at Lime Rock.

The MINI presence at Laguna Seca will be a big one, thanks to a MINI Cooper Car Corral. About 250 MINIs, all owned by race fans, are expected to be on display in the corral.

The 2.5-hour race starts at 5:30 p.m. PT on Saturday, September 8. Fans who can’t make it to Laguna Seca can cheer for RSR Motorsports during the SPEED broadcast on Sunday, September 16, at 1:30 p.m. ET. Fans can also keep up with the team online at RSR Motorsport / RSR Racing.

RSR Motorsports is sponsored by Cruise America, Thor Motor Coach, US LED, Honda HPD, MINI USA, Pilot/Flying J Travel Centers, CaseTech, OS Giken Racing Clutches and Limited Slip Differentials, Eibach Springs, Performance Racing Oils/Millers Oils, Midway Ford Truck Sales, DBA USA, MINI North Scottsdale, Team RaceWorks, Performance Speed Tech, and Carbotech Pads.

2. quikmni

quikmni Moderator

Jun 6, 2009
    Aerospace Engineer
    Orcutt, CA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    I will be at Laguna Seca and look forward to cheering the team on, even the Civics.

3. drabdub

drabdub Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2009
    Logistics Lead
    San Jose, CA
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    I wish I could be there but I wish them luck

4. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    From Chris Knox's Facebook page

Awesome first session in the RSR MINI, lots of cars on track! The corkscrew is everything I hoped it would be! The feeling as you drop through it is like a rollercoaster! I wish every circuit had one :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    That's a 2:30 PM start time for those of us at the track......

6. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
  7. Firebro17

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    Corkscrew!!!!! AAAaaaaahhhhh!!!!!

8. Firebro17

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    #8 Firebro17, Sep 9, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
    Here's a couple shots I got from the Turn 4 bleachers and couple others from the pits During Friday's practice... Note the transplant being conducted on the 195.

What a great time it was had by all! :beer

Attached Files:

9. Fast33

Fast33 New Member

May 4, 2011
    Driver coaching
    Colorado
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Nice pics!