RSR Motorsports Hopes to Make History at The Brickyard

Discussion in 'Racing MINIs' started by Nathan, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    INDIANAPOLIS, Ind.—GRAND-AM Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge teams are eagerly anticipating this weekend’s inaugural Brickyard Sports Car Challenge at Indianapolis Motor Speedway, and RSR Motorsports is no exception. The team hopes to put their name in the history books at The Brickyard.

RSR Motorsports was encouraged after a successful test three weeks ago. “It was a great test for the team, and I was encouraged by how well both the Hondas and the MINIs performed there. It’s great that we can go there with two brands and be competitive with both of them,†says Team Manager Owen Trinkler.

In fact, RSR Motorsports will have two of each marque at Indy. Randall Smalley and Chris Puskar will drive the No. 198 MINI Cooper S, while Mark Congleton and Dicky Riegel will share the No. 195 MINI. Ron Farmer and Jason Hart return to action in the No. 196 US LED Honda Civic Si, and Trinkler will co-drive the No. 197 Honda with Corey Fergus.

“The test weekend was very strong, and as typical RSR did a fantastic job giving us a good starting setup and making adjustments throughout the weekend,†says Hart. “With everything we collected between the drivers, I think we’re all very confident about racing at that track with both the MINI and the Honda.â€

Before the racing begins, though, RSR Motorsports will be focusing on qualifying. Fergus, who has earned two poles this season in the No. 197 Honda, says, “I think this will be the closest qualifying we’ll have all year. There’s not much of a performance advantage in the infield, so cars will be more equally matched. A top-three finish would be nice, but the first thing I have to focus on is getting on the pole: as the qualifying driver, that’s the first job I have to concentrate on.â€

A good qualifying spot will mean an easier time on the infield, where passing might be a challenge, especially since every driver in the field will be racing on the course for the first time.

“You’ll have to drive mistake free, because if you go offline there’s not much grip. It’s going to make you really stay on point, that’s for sure,†says Chris Puskar.

Puskar aptly sums up the mood as competitors prepare for the first Brickyard Sports Car Challenge, saying, “Everybody is approaching it with the same mindset: it would be a huge thing to win the inaugural Indy race.â€

Watch RSR Motorsports bid for a spot in the history books on Friday, July 27. The 2.5-hour race begins at 1:00 p.m. The race will also be broadcast on SPEED at noon on Sunday, August 5.

Keep up with RSR Motorsports online at RSR Motorsport / RSR Racing.

RSR Motorsports is sponsored by Cruise America, Thor Motor Coach, US LED, Honda HPD, MINI USA, Pilot/Flying J Travel Centers, CaseTech, OS Giken Racing Clutches and Limited Slip Differentials, Eibach Springs, Performance Racing Oils/Millers Oils, Midway Ford Truck Sales, DBA USA, MINI North Scottsdale, Team RaceWorks, Performance Speed Tech, and Carbotech Pads.

2. sdmidget

sdmidget New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Senior Planner
    Lancaster, PA
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Bags packed ...

heading to Indy on Wednesday ...

:smilewinkgrin:

3. Crashton