RSR Motorsports Hoping for Another Podium at Homestead

Discussion in 'Racing MINIs' started by Nathan, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    HOMESTEAD, Fla.—RSR Motorsports has its sights set on another podium finish during the upcoming GRAND-AM Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge race at Homestead-Miami Speedway. The team has finished third there for the past two years, and now they come into round three of the season fresh off a podium finish at Barber Motorsports Park.

In 2010, RSR Motorsports earned their first series podium with a third-place finish at Homestead. One year later, Owen Trinkler and Sarah Cattaneo finished third at Homestead in the No. 198 MINI Cooper S.

Trinkler enjoys Homestead’s 2.3-mile course. “The banking is a little bit of a different feel and goes back to my roots in oval racing. The infield section is a little challenging because you have to conserve the car in order to have a good long run,†he says.

Trinkler and Mark Congleton are paired in the No. 197 Cruise America/Thor Motor Coach Honda Civic SI. Congleton will be making his first appearance at Homestead but is optimistic. “I’ve studied video and at the track I’ll be doing data with Owen, and I expect to get up to speed pretty quickly. We’re going to try to back up our podium at Barber with another podium at Homestead,†says Congleton, who carries sponsorship from CaseTech, one of the nation’s largest distributors of reusable shipping cases.

Another Homestead first-timer will be Corey Fergus. The series rookie will be paired with veteran Chris Puskar this weekend in the No. 195 MINI Cooper S. “The team got a podium at Homestead last year, so I don’t think it’s out of the question to do well there,†Fergus says. “I’m getting more comfortable with the car and with the competition. I think we can do well at Homestead, and I have high expectations going into this race.â€

Jason Hart and Ron Farmer will also be looking for a solid finish in the No. 196 US LED MINI Cooper S. After some bad luck recently, Hart says, “We have a bit of a black cloud over the 196 now that we’re trying to shake! We want to have a clean race from the beginning to the end, and as little drama as possible. If we’re going to make any headway at Homestead, it will be in the infield.â€

RSR Motorsports team owner Randall Smalley will team up with Kyle Gimple in the No. 198 MINI Cooper S. “We’ve podiumed at Homestead twice, and we’re returning to a track with a little team history,†Smalley says. “We should do well again, but we’ve had some weight and restrictions added since we last raced there, so it will be interesting to see how it affects us.â€

The Kia 200 gets underway at 2:45 p.m. ET on Saturday, April 28. Keep up with RSR Motorsports and their four cars online at RSR Motorsport / RSR Racing.

RSR Motorsports is sponsored by Cruise America, Thor Motor Coach, US LED, MINI USA, Pilot/Flying J Travel Centers, CaseTech, OS Giken Racing Clutches and Limited Slip Differentials, Eibach Springs, Midway Ford Truck Sales, DBA USA, MINI North Scottsdale, Performance Speed Tech, and Carbotech Pads.

2. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Heads up!!!

The Continental race from Homestead is on Speed tomorrow 12:00pm-2:00pm. Set those DVRs...