RSR Motorsports Moves Forward After Disappointing Race at The Glen

Discussion in 'Racing MINIs' started by Nathan, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    WATKINS GLEN, N.Y.—RSR Motorsports is moving forward, heading to Indianapolis Motor Speedway for testing this weekend after a disappointing race at Watkins Glen.

The GRAND-AM Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge weekend started off on a high note when Corey Fergus qualified second in the No. 197 RSR Motorsports Honda Civic Si. It marked Fergus’s third front-row start in only four races. He also claimed the pole at New Jersey Motorsports Park and Road America.

“Coming into the weekend, I knew the track would be a great place for the Honda,†Fergus says. “The car was strong all weekend. I’m becoming more comfortable in the car, and it’s easier to go fast when you’re comfortable. I’m at the point now where I’m at home in the car and it’s a lot of fun to drive.â€

For Fergus and co-driver Owen Trinkler, the race itself turned out to be anything but fun. The Honda started off well, but during Trinkler’s stint, the car got caught up in a blocking incident between two other cars.

“It was such a disappointing finish,†says Trinkler. “There’s not as much respect among drivers right now, and it’s really unfortunate. It’s resulting in a lot of damage to cars, which is a setback for everyone.â€

Ron Farmer and Randall Smalley teamed up to race the No. 198 RSR Motorsports MINI Cooper S, but they, too, had their day shortened by a crash. Like the No. 197 Honda, the No. 198 MINI was a victim of an incident between other cars. The No. 195 MINI Cooper S of Kyle Gimple and Chris Puskar retired early with a clutch issue.

Despite the difficult weekend—and a long list of damage to the team’s stable of cars—RSR Motorsports is working to repair everything in time for this weekend’s GRAND-AM test at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. It will be the first time that the team has turned laps at the legendary track.

“It’s nice to be a part of this series and have the opportunity to get on a track that is so prestigious,†says Fergus. “I like that no one in the series has been to Indy yet. My background in autocross will help because in that you have to learn a new configuration each weekend. All of the teams are going to Indy with an even experience level.â€

The Watkins Glen race will air on SPEED on Saturday, July 14, at 1:00 p.m. In the meantime, keep up with RSR Motorsports online at RSR Motorsport / RSR Racing.

RSR Motorsports is sponsored by Cruise America, Thor Motor Coach, US LED, MINI USA, Pilot/Flying J Travel Centers, CaseTech, OS Giken Racing Clutches and Limited Slip Differentials, Eibach Springs, Performance Racing Oils/Millers Oils, Midway Ford Truck Sales, DBA USA, MINI North Scottsdale, Team RaceWorks, Performance Speed Tech, and Carbotech Pads.