RSR Motorsports Talents Fergus and Gimple Carry Confidence into Barber

Discussion in 'Racing MINIs' started by Nathan, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

LEEDS, Ala.—Corey Fergus and Kyle Gimple have a lot in common: they co-drive the No. 198 RSR Motorsports MINI Cooper S, they’re both talented young drivers, and they both have a lot of confidence about this Saturday’s GRAND-AM Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge race at Barber Motorsports Park.

Fergus, 23, and Gimple, 20, got their first chance to co-drive together during the season opener at Daytona International Raceway. Events during the race didn’t fall in their favor, but both drivers have renewed hopes heading into Barber.

“Going into Barber, I know how well these MINIs handle, so I’m expecting a good finish for me and Corey. We’re setting the bar pretty high for ourselves,†Gimple says. He raced a GS car at Barber last year. Now, returning in a Street Tuner entry, Gimple notes, “The ST cars get through corners quickly and are evenly matched with the GS cars in a lot of places. I think our biggest challenge at Barber will be GS cars getting impatient.â€

Fergus, who is wrapping up a season of ski instructing in Aspen, Colorado, is equally optimistic. “We have a strong car and the team is great. We have high hopes. I was there testing in October and the car was really strong. I think our goal is a top five. I don’t think that’s out of reach by any means,†he says.

While Fergus has been skiing, Gimple has been spending his down time either riding his dirt bike or karting. Gimple is also an advocate for Families for HoPE. The group provides support, education and awareness for those affected by holoprosencephaly (HPE).

Gimple says that getting used to both the MINI and his new co-driver was an easy process. In the MINI, it was simply a matter of transitioning from rear-wheel drive to front-wheel drive. As for working with Fergus, Gimple says, “It’s not hard for us to get to know each other and transition with our driving styles, which are very similar. We can do quick driver changes, and we’re both quick on track, which is great. I’m looking forward to driving with him for rest of season.â€

“We’re both around the same age, which helps, and we can relate to each other,†Fergus adds. “We both bring something into this. We’re trying to make this the best season it can be by using our strengths.â€

This season marks the GRAND-AM debut for Fergus, who is excited about the high level of competition because it will test him and make his own driving improve. Rather than being daunted by the competition, Fergus sees it as a personal challenge, and he and Gimple will both be ready to prove themselves at Barber.

The rest of the RSR Motorsports entries have a positive outlook for Barber after strong results during testing at the 2.3-mile track last winter. Ron Farmer and Jason Hart will be in the No. 196 US LED MINI Cooper S, while Chris Puskar and Dicky Riegel will pilot the No. 195 MINI. Mark Congleton and Owen Trinkler will put the No. 197 Honda Civic SI through its paces for the second time.

Keep up with RSR Motorsports online at RSRMotorsports.com, and see the race live at Barber Motorsports Park on Saturday, March 31, at 4:15pm ET.

RSR Motorsports is sponsored by Cruise America, Thor Motor Coach, US LED, MINI USA, Pilot/Flying J Travel Centers, OS Giken Racing Clutches and Limited Slip Differentials, Eibach Springs, Midway Ford Truck Sales, DBA USA, MINI North Scottsdale, Performance Speed Tech, and Carbotech Pads.

2. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Timing and scoring for the first practice session is live and shows a driver named "Plug Black" in the RSR #195. At first I thought driver swap and was going to ask if anyone ever heard of him/her. Then I noticed another Plug Black listed driving an APR VW and a couple Plug Blue, also driving APR VWs, and all at the same time! Maybe it's a place holder used when they don't have a driver name in the system?

3. Alan

Alan Active Member

May 6, 2009
    retired
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Ratings:
    +98 / 0 / -0
    Drivers have a color coded plug they insert into the car's timing system so the system knows who's driving. The plug to name conversion must be FUBAR.