R53 Runs Very BAD

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by MCS02, Jun 12, 2018.

1. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    My 02 R53 is way down on power. It has a very bad hesitation also. It does it accelerating and just cursing.
    What I have done. First before anyone says it, yes my Walmart battery is good!
    My coil pack and plug wires are only a year or maybe two old. A few days ago I changed the belt, tensioner, idler pulley, plugs and fuel filter. About 2 or 3 years ago I changed the SC oil. When I did the belt this time I turned the SC by hand and it was tight and smooth, no noise. I also changed the crank seal and the oil leak I thought was the timing chain cove turned out to be the cam position sensor.
    With the AC on the compressor makes a very very loud roaring as loud or louder then the SC at full tilt. So I know I need a new compressor. I have one sitting in my garage. I have had it about 5 years. I need to check and see if its still sealed good before I buy another one. I thought maybe that was the problem but it runs the same with the AC off.
    So All I can think of now is maybe a bad CAT. I meant to check it when I had it in the air but forgot. I have a new exhaust so I know that is not it. The cat is the original and it has an OBX header.......Yes OBX. If its the CAT I don't know if I want to get a high flow CAT or get a stock exhaust manifold and cat used from Allmag and remove the OBX header.

I have almost 160k on the clock. I told my wife the best fix would be to send the motor to RMW, she rolled her eyes and walked away......not sure what that means.

So any ideas?

2. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    I should add when I was ordering parts for this job I called Detroit Tuned and Chad talked me out of a little over $300 of parts. He said he didn't think I needed them. First he was right and second I really appreciate him putting good service and advice in front of selling parts.

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  3. Goldsmithy

Goldsmithy MINI Alliance Ambassador
    Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Male
    TCB
    Main Street in the land of Oz
    Ratings:
    +1,151 / 0 / -0
    I agree about Chad...a true gem in the auto parts world.

4. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Map or t-map sensors Original?

Did you clean your TV dinner air filter?

I would also pull the plugs and check them.

Also check your coil prongs and the plug in the back of the coil for corrosion at the connection points. Add a little dielectric grease to the connections.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Red Bull

Red Bull Active Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Have you checked the BPV to make sure you're getting boost? I think you can check it by zip tying it closed.

6. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    I have a K&M cone filter but now the you bring it up I have not cleaned it. And I can make a TV tray air cleaner for you too.:D I'll even put a LMW(Lee Motor Works) sticker on it to make it work better. I did not think of the Map or T-Map, I will check when I get home it is original. I will also check the coil.

I forgot to list that last year I put a new Detroit Tuned BPV on it.