Sabotage! Conspiracy! - Some odd thoughts on the Oil Spill

Discussion in 'Politics and other "Messy" Stuff' started by Nathan, May 8, 2010.

1. Jan

Jan Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

May 16, 2010
    Ratings:
    +382 / 0 / -0
    Farmers have figured out the easiest way to help clean up the spill..........obviously the politicians will look for some very costly ways to spend taxpayers money on some chemicals which then will cause an even bigger enviornmental diasters

enjoy: Cool solution to clean up oil disaster. [VIDEO]

2. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Some good points. Here are a couple more:

1) even if we're not drilling in the Gulf of Mexico..... China, Cuba, Mexico, Spain, Norway, India, Malaysia, Venezuela, Vietnam and Brazil still will be. Good luck getting them to stop.

2) It's easier, cheaper, and lower risk to drill on-shore, or near-shore, than in the deep water. It's also easier to fix problems when they inevitably occur. But when you effectively force companies to these deep-water locations by denying leases in shallow water and in remote tundra with way, way less "ecosystem" (Prudhoe Bay, North Slope, ANWR etc.) then you get unintended consequences.

3. Johngo

Johngo New Member
    Supporting Member

May 18, 2010
    Art Director
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Ratings:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    Wow. What an uninformed ass. :eek:ut:

4. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
  5. Johngo

Johngo New Member
    Supporting Member

May 18, 2010
    Art Director
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Ratings:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    Sorry. I grew up on one of the "sucky" coasts Mr. Pro Cali mentioned laying waste to and don't take too kindly to the insult, opinion or not...

Is this better:

At least we can keep the electricity on, don't have to claim Nancy Pelosi, and didn't create the nightmare that is modern Hollywierd. Oh yeah, we also don't burn, mudslide, quake and riot every couple of years, either.

6. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    But the hurricanes and the 100% humidity 365 days a year more then make up the difference. :D

All places have their pros and cons. I've spent a few years in GA. Can't say that earn for those times.

7. Johngo

Johngo New Member
    Supporting Member

May 18, 2010
    Art Director
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Ratings:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    Grew up on the East Coast of South Florida. I will take the hurricanes and humidity over anything CA has to offer. Love San Fran to visit, but couldn't imagine living there, both politically and the over the top cost of living for what you get in return.

We have a good week to run from a hurricane and most of them amount to nothing more than a bad thunderstorm, anyway. How much notice do those quakes give??? :smile5:

While I live in GA, I much prefer FL. :Thumbsup:

8. Robin Casady

Robin Casady New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    No one is forcing them to drill in deep water. They can't drill in shallow water because our society believes the the coastline is more valuable that the oil. The oil industry and drilling proponents have been claiming that deep drilling is safe, seems they were wrong. I suspect we will find that the damage from this disaster will show that deep drilling is also not worth it. We are just at the beginning of seeing the consequences. They will be playing out for years.

9. Johngo

Johngo New Member
    Supporting Member

May 18, 2010
    Art Director
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Ratings:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    I think it IS safe if they follow the rules and do things by the book. From everything I have read, they were not doing it safely and there were some pretty dramatic warning signs that were completely ignored.

Not having contingencies in place for this was also a huge mistake.

It is a good thing BP has been recording record profits. They are going to need it to pay for the mess they created.

10. mini_racer

mini_racer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    wow, that seems like an awesome low tech solution, or at least a major part of the clean-up solution.

11. Johngo

Johngo New Member
    Supporting Member

May 18, 2010
    Art Director
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Ratings:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    Sometimes the best brains in the world are simply the ones that are used...

12. Robin Casady

Robin Casady New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Nice idea, and probably help quite a bit. The scale would be massive. Huge amounts of hay would have to be transported to the oil, and then collected. Then what do you do with the oiled hay? Can the oil be extracted? That would be good.

However, it wont solve the whole problem. iMuch of the oil is underwater.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7MD9ldxGgQ]YouTube - Sam Champion and Philippe Cousteau Jr. diving into the Oil Spill[/ame]

13. howsoonisnow1985

howsoonisnow1985 New Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Inmate
    Santa Cruz County Jail
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Wow, Johnny Boy, Simmer Down Now!!
    The NIMBY attitude was just my opinion, your entitled to your opinion but you know what they say about opinions. But yes I prefer they drill in East Coast or off Florida's coast than in my backyard. I don't want another Santa Barbara oil spill incident again.

14. Johngo

Johngo New Member
    Supporting Member

May 18, 2010
    Art Director
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Ratings:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    Nobody does, my brother. But CA uses as much of the greasy stuff as other states combined... Why shouldn't they share the burden? Make these oil companies financially responsible and make it hurt when they screw up and they will quit screwing up.

15. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    OK. List other places where they CAN drill all they want, based on market demand for oil.

16. Johngo

Johngo New Member
    Supporting Member

May 18, 2010
    Art Director
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Ratings:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    How about we make them shut down all BP stations in the US until they plug the hole? Bet it would've been done in about 3 days had that been the punishment.

17. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    This would not hurt BP much at all. BP does not own the stations, they are all franchises. In effect you'd be punishing the small business owner that owns one or two BP branded stations and their employees. BP probably would not even notice till the station owners came crying.

There was a news story the other evening on boycotting BP and how much they are intertwined in our lives.

BP also owns Castrol

There is also ARCO Aluminum, a division of BP North America, a premium supplier of rolled aluminum sheet. That can of Diet Coke sitting on your desk right now. Possibly made with BP sourced aluminum.

The roads you drove to work on today...BP Asphalt could have been the supplier.

It gets deeper...

BP products are part of life, from the bottles we drink from to the clothes we wear. In paint, painkillers and lipstick. BP supplies aromatics & acetyls.

The fuels that power the ships that bring us all those products produced in China...BP Marine Fuel and Lubricants division.

So while we can boycott some BP items it really is only a moral victory and who does it really hurt, BP or the small businesses that are already taking a beating in this economy.

18. Johngo

Johngo New Member
    Supporting Member

May 18, 2010
    Art Director
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Ratings:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    I also wonder how many of the other oil wells have been inspected closer since this disaster...

Of course this is all GWB's fault. Kind of like baldness, Mt. St. Helens, and Hurricane Katrina. And they call the big O a messiah...

:lol:

19. Tüls

Tüls New Member

Apr 3, 2009
    The sky
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

This is an amazing thing, but this will never happen because then the scumbags couldnt save their oil which is the reality of why this BS is taking so long as it is.

20. YesIFit

YesIFit New Member

May 25, 2009
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    IJS...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]