Sabotage! Conspiracy! - Some odd thoughts on the Oil Spill

Discussion in 'Politics and other "Messy" Stuff' started by Nathan, May 8, 2010.

1. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    I find it curious that some see big business and politicians as two separate and distinct entities. With the exception of the few (very few) individuals the two groups have had a symbiotic relationship since the day they were born.

Here in Cali we have a proposition on the ballot next week that would do away with party based primaries in favor of an open primary with two top vote getters participating in a run off. You know there is something there when both Republicans and Democrats oppose the issue. Of course their argument is that open primary will give greater access to special interest groups. With the Dems pretty much owned by the Teachers and Prison Guard Unions and the Republicans deep in the pocket of the big business lobby (not that Cali Repubs have been able to achieve anything in years) that argument just doesn't pass the sniff test.

As for new energy sources. You will see them as soon as the energy companies figure out how to extract more profit from those then they do from oil. I guarantee that the day they figure out how to make the same amount per mile traveled from hydrogen as they do from oil, you will see two hydrogen pumps at every corner gas station.

2. Johngo

Johngo New Member
    Supporting Member

May 18, 2010
    Art Director
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Ratings:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    Funny thing is if they would do it, the jobs and industry created would do a lot to drag us out of this depression we are in and get people thinking right again. Not sure how we became this nation of lazy morons, but it is scary.

3. yellowbritishrocket

yellowbritishrocket Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Ratings:
    +277 / 0 / -0
    look the problem with "green" tech is that it wreaks more havoc on the enviroment to implement them than its worth right now....you know how much land has to be cleared out and torn up for just 1 wind turbine?at least an acre...while it might not seem like alot...now multiply that by 200 and counting...and guess what kids...its farmland and trees that are getting torn up...and the wind turbines are incredibly inefficient and not even built right...they have to constantly replace induction drives because they didnt do proper thrust clearances on them...plus did you know that wind turbines in large quantity can dry out the air?they effectivly kill atmospheric moisture around them...but its all for green tech so we can feel better about our use of power...green tech is fine once it can be implemented in such a way that can be efficent and cost effective and the impact on the land and enviroment can be minimized...also...any idea the harmonic resonance 200-300 wind turbines can create?where im from all those turbines have killed all cellular/radio/tv/sat signals...and they rotate so if they all point south everything gets cut off

fact is obama should share in the blame...45 damn days later and he is still waiting for bp to fix this...he should have stepped in day one..called in the navy deep sea divers and fixed this before it became a ecological disaster...but he didnt...as he was quoted as saying "Never let a good disaster go to waste"....oh when the earthquake struck haiti he was all over that but he decides to sit on this one which could have global implecations like if the oil gets into the loop current and shoots around florida and right up the eastern seaboard...when will he step in...when tarballs show up in the potomac?

4. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Easy there Rog. I know you're a proud Navy man and it's deep see guys are good, but 5,000+ feet might be a little to deep even for them. Not to say that they don't have some ROV gadgets that could have helped.

I know Camron volunteered some of his Titanic equipment to BP, but got turned down.

The feeling I am getting is that they are trying to do this in such a way as to preserver their ability to still pump oil and gas out of there. I don't think they are trying to just shut it off.

5. yellowbritishrocket

May 16, 2009
    Ratings:
    +277 / 0 / -0
    im not saying they would dive to that depth but they have a much more advanced set of tools at their disposal than bp...i know alot of retired divers and master divers have sent in their resumes to get hired on...if there was ever a group that could come up a creative solution to this problem it would be them

6. Tüls

Tüls New Member

Apr 3, 2009
    The sky
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    At this point the Navy could have used a controlled (i use that term lightly) tactical nuke 35 days ago and it would do less damage/have done.

Just sayin.

As for the rest of the green "oh it will do more harm than good etc etc" talk.

Seriously, come on. That's what everyone says. Mean while we are destroying everything. I'm not a hippie. But I am a fan of not being a parasite. And that's all we are right now. We humans are the only mammals on the planet who do not work WITH our planet.

We can go round and round about all this stuff. It doesn't have to be 100% either. Regardless, the fact remains. We have options. Some are better than others. But again, it's all excuses and distractions.

So, enjoy the show! You have oil based planet earth!

7. yellowbritishrocket

May 16, 2009
    Ratings:
    +277 / 0 / -0
  8. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Keith Olbermann discussed this issue just last night.

[ame=http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3036677/#37500376]Countdown with Keith Olbermann Countdown with Keith Olbermann[/ame]

9. yellowbritishrocket

May 16, 2009
    Ratings:
    +277 / 0 / -0
    heard this morning on Opie and Anthony talking Michio Kaku
    Part 1
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReX-ewNdL9c]YouTube - Michio Kaku talks with Patrice Onea about oil spilll - Opie and Anthony (PART 1)[/ame]
    Part 2
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBUrdPiTpwk]YouTube - Michio Kaku talks with Patrice Oneal about Oil Spill - Opie and Anthony (PART 2)[/ame]

10. Tüls

Tüls New Member

Apr 3, 2009
    The sky
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Nate, thanks for that post. I was trying to figure out if it would work. However, it seems like at this point it's too late. Might have worked in the beginning. But I guess we'll never really know. And what's the lesser of two evils.

Who said anything about turbines... there are other options. LOL

Ultimately you can move. ;) :p Then your cell/tv/radio will work. I mean god forbid we dont have that. Mind as well kill the planet for modern wants. I'm just messin btw.

Thanks for your vids too. Love the pics we get to look at while listening. :D I'm a big fan of Michio, he reminds me of Hubie. A guy who's way more intelligent than most can even imagine.

11. Johngo

Johngo New Member
    Supporting Member

May 18, 2010
    Art Director
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Ratings:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    You keep saying there are other options, but you haven't elaborated on any that are actually viable and, at this point, possible.

You are telling us that we are using "green "oh it will do more harm than good etc etc" talk", but you are on the opposite bandwagon of global warming and other things that may or may not be true. We all know where that silliness landed with a bunch of people lying about it. They created a global panic with fudged results.

Again, nobody held responsible. :incazzato:

Do I think we can do better in working greener? Of course. Do I think we can do it without fossil fuels? Not anytime in the near future.

Do I also think that the current administration is causing further harm to our economy by their actions? Absolutely. They are killing industry in the Gulf, both from the oil companies being banned from drilling and from the damage being caused by this leak. They are acting suspiciously like they want it happen so the almighty government can swoop in and "rescue" us.

No matter how you look at it, our government is at least half responsible on this (after all, it was their responsibility to make sure the rules were followed) and we need to step up and get them out of office as soon as humanly possible.

12. Tüls

Tüls New Member

Apr 3, 2009
    The sky
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Kind of like Michio said. I'm not here to tell you what they are. I'm here saying, that they are out there and we just haven't put in the effort to make them our priority as a country or world. Mainly because we dont have to.

As I said before, HEMP is the biggest one. No I dont use marijuana so this is not about that.

There are a number of plants high in oils, and many processes that produce vegetable oil as a waste product. These include soy, corn, coconut, palm, canola, rapeseed, and a number of other promising species. Any of these oils can be converted to biodiesel as described later, with a feedstock cost of $0 + per gallon.

Conversion of cellulose to fermentable glucose holds the greatest promise from both a production and feedstock supply standpoint. DOE (NREL) and a number of Universities and private enterprise have been developing this technology and achieved a number of milestones. Production estimates of 80 to 130 gallons per ton of biomass make this technology very attractive.

There are other techs that we know of or have discussed, But as I said many times, and will say again.

Everyone is just going to go round and round about how hard it is to make the change. And do nothing because it's hard and the scope seems to big.

Maybe you need to understand why I see it as easy while the rest of the humans do nothing. When my life got to a point it was going round and round. And what I was doing wasnt really working. I evaluated it, and changed it. Started over after evaluating the best path possible. Is it easy? Hell no. But it's 100% better than circling the toilet.

Yes, it's idealistic to think the human race will ever care this much or be able to grasp life this way. I'm ok with that. When I can, I'll build my house. Off the grid as many of my friends have done. No they don't live like hippies. Actually quite amazing homes. They are just using the money and power they have to do more.

I also for get that I am a solution person. Not a blame person. And if there is a solution that required sacrifice, I am willing to do it for the greater good.

So, you're right! It IS too hard.....for a lot of people. I can sacrifice as needed to do a rapid changeover but most people would flip out losing...oh say...50 perent of their modern convienences....even if it would just be for 10 years or so. I'm willing to do it......but for every one of me there are 1000 who are not willing

13. Tüls

Tüls New Member

Apr 3, 2009
    The sky
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Added by NF

Contains Not Safe for Work Language

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zt617zYAbng&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - The BP Oil Spill Re-Enacted By Cats in 1 Minute[/ame]

14. Johngo

Johngo New Member
    Supporting Member

May 18, 2010
    Art Director
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Ratings:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    You say hemp, but how much processing and energy is required to remove the oil from the hemp? That has been the biggest problem with anything "green" to date. It takes more energy -- in most cases MUCH more -- than you could ever hope to save by using it.

That is the biggest problem with hydrogen. It takes huge amounts of energy just to get the hydrogen to a usable form. Does it work wonders once there, heck yeah. But we can't just look at one step of the process and get a "green" item out of it. If, from beginning to end, it used 40% more energy than it was supposedly saving and ends up creating more pollutants than it is saving, then we have actually made it worse.

15. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Use energy that is non polluting, Hydro Power, to produce Hydrogen, then hook-up hydrogen powered fuel cells to houses to produce their energy needs. Manufacture cars/buses/trucks that run on hydrogen powered fuel sells. Slowly, but with purpose, shift the infrastructure away from fossil based.

Now don't think this can't be done, Canada has the potential to produce large amounts of Hydro electricity. The US and Canada could start producing hydrogen plants, and fuel cell manufacturing plants. This would put them both at the forefront of the move away from fossil fuels. Think a few decades here folks, not next month.

Fossil fuels are likely here to stay, for all finds of products, but as a source of energy, hopefully not much longer.

Mark

16. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Can't build hydro anymore. Kills Snail Darters and other species much more important than humans.

17. Tüls

Tüls New Member

Apr 3, 2009
    The sky
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    SO, I'm looking through my old links from my Hawaii moving plans. I found a link I forgot about.... from 2007... like many other technologies that just get passed by and so people just say... oh, it's all just scifi to think there's anything else out there besides fossil fuels.

It's from 2007 PEOPLE!!!

This is just ONE small example of the "other options" You don't think there are 10000 other ideas and innovations like this? But none of them get taken any further. Probably because the scumbags with all the money buy up the patents and then lockem away so they can keep feeding us oil.

18. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    If the products produced required less energy to run, and folks wore a sweater in the winter, rather than jacking the heat up, consumption would drop.

Baby steps:D

Mark

19. Tüls

Tüls New Member

Apr 3, 2009
    The sky
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Oh well that of course is the best thing. However, you know what happens when you tell a teenager to do something good for them... lol and since America is the worlds teen...

But yeah, over all at the end of the day, I just do what I can. At least I have the peace of mind to know that.

20. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, we just got a new energy efficient A/C unit, and we truly enjoy staying cool WAY cheaper than the old one would of cost to run.

Mark