2nd Gen Coupe Sat in A Coupe Today

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by versus, Jun 28, 2011.

Tags:
  1. versus

versus Active Member

Sep 8, 2009
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    :biggrin5:

I'll give a rundown of my impressions.

So, the local dealership, Hendrick MINI, got a Coupe in Cooper trim in for 1 day. I'll say this upfront, the car looks amazing and I was concerned walking in the door.

My biggest concern going in was how the rear in molded in with the rest of the body. In photos it looks boxy and abrupt but it actually flows nicely giving the car nice round edges, if that makes sense.

The roofline, is well, the roofline, no breaking news on that front. The alternating colors work well. The baseball cap makes the car and looks rather nice in my opinion.

The interior felt more roomy for some reason. I had the seat on it's lowest setting height wise, reclined all the way back and in it's farthest seating position. I'm 6'2 and I had as much headroom as in any R56 or R53 that I've sat in. In fact I've felt more confined in a hardtop R56 (no sunroof) than in this. Granted, a lot of my height is in my legs so I sit lower, hence why I slide the seat all the way back. 6 footers need not worry about head room unless you're pushing 6'6/6'7 or so. It was my first time sitting on punch leather, might have to check that box in the future:cornut:.

No need for a light in sight with this windshield I believe. Glove box is the same found in the Countryman I believe, it'd hold a beagle no problem.

Rear visibility was good. I can't speak to blind spots as it was on the show room floor, but I couldn't complain about looking out of the back. The way the rear view is shaped (like the MINI emblem somewhat) it put my field of view right between the headrests. I liked it a lot better than looking out the rear view of an R56 b/c your line of sight gets pinched by the rear seats. Mind you the wing was in the up position the whole time and I didn't find it bothersome, a test drive might prove otherwise.

To sum up the experience, on looks alone I would have bought one and I'm confident there will be many people who do. If it drives as well as it looks I'm sold.

Anybody have any questions?

2. farkus

farkus Active Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    Good review, my question is...given a choice, would you consider purchase of the one on the right or the one on the left?

[​IMG]

3. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Oh man, never seen it presented that way before, but the one on the right looks incredible, kind of a Porsche front, Nissan 370Z rear, and that rear spoiler...It doesn't look like a true blue Mini, but man, that is a seriously tempting look...

I never liked the baseball cap look, it looks so contrived, although I suppose it's functional.

4. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I don't care for the coupe, but the one on the right could change my mind. I like that. :Thumbsup:

Jim

5. Sideways

Sideways New Member

May 12, 2009
    Motorer and footwear Extrodinaire!
    Above the Border^^^
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    Left...i sat in the coupe as well...I LOVE it!!! the profile is what makes it for me.
    [​IMG]
    This will be my next MINI

6. LosOsosS

LosOsosS New Member

Nov 14, 2010
    Los Osos, CA...near San Luis Obispo
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    If only...the one on the right!

I am happy to hear the opinions that the coupe looks good in person. Sometimes shapes do get better in person with 3d versus the lack of depth in print 2d form.

7. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    #7 Mr. Jim, Jun 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
    Nice... The one on the left! As Jeremy would say, the one on the right looks like the "coxster" and that's the last thing we want a MINI to look like.... Just sayin....

Hope MINI of Momouth gets one to check out soon!

8. versus

versus Active Member

Sep 8, 2009
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    I'd have to see the one on the right in person. I say that because I wouldn't have picked the one on the left until I sat it in yesterday. The right looks very much like a miniature Z, but I like the one on the left because it doesn't have a fixed wing.

Nice shoe selection

9. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    Local dealer is supposed to have one this weekend.. I was hoping it would be the JCW version with all the paint match stuff..

10. OldBlue

OldBlue New Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Die Shop Coordinator
    Cleveburb, OH
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Ditto. I do like the one on the right though. Kinda Boxster-Audi TT-ish. Like that one.

11. Sideways

Sideways New Member

May 12, 2009
    Motorer and footwear Extrodinaire!
    Above the Border^^^
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    Thank you sir:cool: it was those or my chrome onitsukas.:Thumbsup:

12. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    I too like the one on the right, but it reminds me of the first gen Honda CRX. I think when I see a coupe in one color it will look better to me.

13. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    The one on the left. For me its about design uniqueness. A MINI looks like a MINI whether its a Hatch, Cabrio, Clubman, or Countryman. The Coupe with its baseball cab continues that uniqueness . The one on the right looks like other brands...just like Honda, Nissan, KIA, Mazda, and even Mercedes look alike.

14. T8rChick

T8rChick Active Member

May 4, 2009
    Paying for new tires! The wheels were a deal!!!
    Oak Cliff, TX
    Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    Well said.

15. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    You guys seriously think the Clubman looks like a MINI? Have to respectfully disagree with you there. Not sold on the Countryman either. That being said, I really like the Clubman, I'd consider buying one at some point, but it's hardly MINIesque...

16. lum

lum New Member

Mar 10, 2011
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Agree with CHKMINI, it's the uniqueness that makes it a Mini. Also, I'd bet the production costs are lower and assembly is easier for the roof on the left vs the styling on the right. Remember it's only the first release of the coupe. I'm sure the design refresh in 2017 (or whenever) will improve on it....:wink:

17. BLUCOOPR

BLUCOOPR New Member

May 21, 2009
    Retired Truck Driver
    Charlotte, North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Just going to wait for the true colors to come out. I already know what its going to cost to paint the roof and stripes, its just a matter of what color. I want a light blue with top and front and rear sides and quarter panels painted either gold or orange with the blue.

18. KittyMini

KittyMini Club Coordinator

Jun 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,183 / 0 / -0
    Definitely the one on the left. I really like the uniqueness of the roof.

The one on the right looks like a Porche :prrr:

19. farkus

farkus Active Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    No doubt a car with a hat is definitely unique, but...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Definitely the one on the right........

The other one looks to toyish.