2nd Gen R59 Roadster Saw a New Roadster Today

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Minidave, Dec 30, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Baron MINI has a JCW Roadster on the showroom floor today.....apparently it's a travelling display model that will only be there today and tomorrow. Unfortunately I didn't have a camera or cell phone with me......

I sat in it to check out the windshield header height - I had a problem with this on a Miata I wanted to buy - and it seems OK, of course I didn't get to see what it was like with the top up.

They say it will have a semi-power top, in that the power part will only raise it to the tops of the roll bar hoops, then it's manual from there on.

Also, the trunk space is freaking huge! Well, compared to the current convertible anyway....

The dealer says they'll have them in the showroom to sell in Feb....

Hmmmmm......I bought my Clubby in Feb '09.......

2. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Dave. that is good news.

Jim

3. jiminni

jiminni Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    +1 :biggrin5:

4. R59

R59 New Member

Dec 14, 2011
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Lucky you! I'm guessing the first time I'll see one is when my dealer hands me my keys :biggrin5:

5. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    A couple quick pics, none of these people are me, BTW...those front brakes look huge too!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. iceknyght

iceknyght New Member

Dec 27, 2011
    Graphic Designer
    NorCal
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I got to see the Roadster a few weeks ago when it came to my local Mini dealership and the sales person put the top up and down for us and there was no motor involved... There is a latch (button is in between the two seats in the back) that you press down on the top to 'lock' into place. To put the top up, you press that button to unlatch it and then grab the top and pull it up... Takes maybe 2 seconds tops! The good news is that the boot has a ton of space since there is no motor! Plus, there is a pass through from the boot to the front cabin (for like golf clubs)...

When I first saw the Coupe, I liked it, but thought it would make a great Roadster... When I saw the Roadster, I was right... It's a great looking car! With the top up, it looks a little funny, but how often will you actually have it up? ;)

I currently have a Mustang Convertible (as well as a Mini S) that I am *really* considering to trade in for one of these... I can't wait till February to go and test drive one!

7. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Apparently you can get it powered (partway) or manual...

The one I configured a few days ago was over $48K, for a JCW....

8. jiminni

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    $48,000??????? Are you serious? :eek6: :crazy: :cryin:

9. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    ...at $48 large Mini has lost me forever. Heck you can get a well equipped Three for that.

10. jiminni

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    Or a well equipped Boss Mustang :Thumbsup:

11. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    ...lot to look at in that price range. One reason the Miata has enjoyed such a long life is that Mazda has resisted moving to far up the food chain with it.

12. jiminni

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    Yea, it's, the Roadster is on our radar, but if it is anywhere near that price or even $10k below it :idea:

13. iceknyght

iceknyght New Member

Dec 27, 2011
    Graphic Designer
    NorCal
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I am not sure how much extra that would cost, but honestly, it wouldn't be worth it... It would be a lot quicker just to hit the button, grab the top and pull! The sales guy put the top from down to up to down again in about 3 seconds... :)

IF you can find one NOT with a $5k to $10k ADM...

14. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    That also puts you in Audi TT Convertable territory... Just sayin'. :smilewinkgrin:

15. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Well, the JCW I worked up on the configurator WAS loaded up, things like the Recaro seats added $2700 alone, but I didn't go crazy with appearance stuff like special leather parts on the door panels or handbrake lever and so on, everything I got on there was mostly performance oriented....

Just doing a basic S with the Recarro seats came to $34K.....which I think is way too much for what you get. yes it's a fun car all in a market of it's own - and I really like my MINIs as I've had three now, but you have to look at what you get for what you spend, and to me anyway, it has to make sense - this doesn't.

One more thing to consider, I'm looking at it from the perspective of someone retired on a fixed income and trying to make sure I can do the things I want to as the years go on. somone younger with plenty of future earning potential might see it differently.

It still has to make sense tho, in the grand scheme of things - and to me, almost ALL cars are way overpriced....

16. iceknyght

iceknyght New Member

Dec 27, 2011
    Graphic Designer
    NorCal
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Totally agree there...

I am a big Mustang guy as well as Mini fan and have an '06 Mustang GT Convertible... Back then, I got it fully loaded for $28k (after some nice rebates. I think MSRP on it was at $35k)... I *was* looking at getting maybe a new '13 GT Convertible, but they now *start* at $35,000! Fully loaded, you're looking at around $45k! Maybe more... So $34,000 for a nicely equipped Roadster doesn't sound too bad... In comparison...

17. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I look at it from the same perspective Dave. A justa, leatherette seats, with great MPG and fun handling fits in there just fine. The go-fast, leads to tickets, which leads to more money and so on. :D

Jim

18. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    No, Go-Fast leads to faster lap times... :biggrin5:

...which leads to worn brakes and tires... which leads to more $$$. :lol:

Either way it leads to more money, but my way is much more fun. :cornut:

19. Angib

Angib New Member

Nov 25, 2009
    (Old) England
    Ratings:
    +425 / 0 / -0
    I presume the sales guy didn't have the draught-blocker in place while demonstrating this, as it looks to me like you would have to take it out and put it back every time the roof goes up or down:

[​IMG]

One thing I read suggested that the electric partial assistance is just concerned with the last bit of movement down to the locked position or up as far as needed to grab hold of the roof with the draught-blocker in place.

Attached Files:

20. iceknyght

iceknyght New Member

Dec 27, 2011
    Graphic Designer
    NorCal
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    It was in place, but he put the top up and down from outside the car, not while sitting in it... So yeah, that would make a little difference... LOL!

Honestly though, for me and having a convertible currently, whenever I put the top up or down, 95% of the time, it's in my garage or parking space where I could get out and put the top up or down... Rarely do I put the top up/down while I am actively driving it (ie: stop light, etc.)... So I don't think it would be a huge deal... Although, having the motor would probably help on resale down the road...

I'd also be interested to see how much of the boot the motor will take up... Cause without the motor, the boot was almost as big as the one in my Mustang! PLUS, it had the hole to go from the cabin to the boot, which my Mustang does not have (because of the motor and well for the top)... Of course, my Mustang does have a back seat, so... :wink: