2nd Gen R59 Roadster Saw a New Roadster Today

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Minidave, Dec 30, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Not really sure what that blocker things does, other then cost money. There is no back seat to catch air and the folded top, to trunk is smooth.

Jim

2. jiminni

jiminni Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    They do help. When we had our 03 Z4, which also has no rear seats and is smooth, it did help on wind whipping back on us.

3. jiminni

jiminni Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    Yea as long as it still works. That's one of the killers on buying a used Mini convertible. Don't know how many people in my area that have tops not working and it's around $2500. To repair :(

4. iceknyght

iceknyght New Member

Dec 27, 2011
    Graphic Designer
    NorCal
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Wow, really? That's not good!

I had my top cut on my Mustang a few years ago and had to get a new one, but other than that, it works great... And it's almost 6 years old with normal use...

*knocks on wood*

5. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    x2 My Fiancee had one in her S2000 that you could flip-up or down. It was amazing the difference it made when it was up. The effect is similar to the tailgate-up has on an open bed puck-up truck. :Thumbsup:

6. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Drag? Is that a good thing?

Jim

7. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    When taken in the context of drag or the mussed hair-do of the Significant Other and the potential ramifications, drag is a good thing.

8. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    Nope. Aerodynamic Drag (Thanks Nathan :ihih: ) is BAAAADD.

However according to Mythbusters ep. 43: Driving with the tailgate down actually increased drag on the pick-up and caused it to consume fuel faster than the identical truck driven with the tailgate up. It was later revealed that the closed tailgate creates a locked vortex flow that created a smoother flow of air over the truck. With the tailgate down the trapped vortex was dissipated and the drag increased.

More, non-Mythbusters, detail here: Truck Test Digest: Tailgate Question

Same sort of effect with that little window thingy (yes, a scientific term there :lol: )

Cool episode if you can catch it. They did water tunnel tests (small medium scale) and actual real world driving tests. The amazing thing was the the truck with gate up went like 50 or 60 miles further before running out of gas. :eek6:

9. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Very interesting, thanks for the link.

Jim

10. Angib

Angib New Member

Nov 25, 2009
    (Old) England
    Ratings:
    +425 / 0 / -0
    I used to have a Mercedes SLK (the 200, only sold in Yurp I think, with the Sesame Street motor) that had a similar size wind blocker and a similar degree of protection from the trunk lid as a Roadster. The blocker had a dramatic effect - I was happy to drive 400 miles at highway speeds with it in place but that would be tiring without it.

The Merc one did also fill in the headrest loops but then that is behind the headrests, so not a big difference, I would think.

11. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Thanks all, I learned something today. :Thumbsup:

Jim

12. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Wow, I just had an epiphany......

Soooo all the gas guzzling rednecks that drive with their tailgate up are really "High Milers".

And all the eco rednecks that drive with their tailgates down are really "Gas Guzzlers".

Now that's a real paradox...... :D

13. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    #33 Firebro17, Jan 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
    I saw the episode and was amazed at their findings. I've driven a truck for ever and I have always kept the gate up. I mean, I don't want'a litter the highways with my aluminum cans. I need the CRV. :beer :lol:

14. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    OK, did some re-figuring. As I was fighting with the folding side mirrors, which decided not to unfold, I realized that the fewer options you get, the fewer things can go wrong. So getting back to basics, getting rid of the "nice to have things", I brought in a "S" at $29K and should still have a fun car. It is all the "extras" that really jack the price up. :Thumbsup:

Jim

15. iceknyght

iceknyght New Member

Dec 27, 2011
    Graphic Designer
    NorCal
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I was playing with the options on a "S" the other day too and the one I priced came out to $30k and change... Not too bad. There were more options I wouldn't mind having, but the $30k price includes the stuff I would *really* want... :)

16. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I went with "really need" and the price came way down. My hair can get messed up, as that screen is worth many hair cuts and I wouldn't be able to hear the stereo or the blue tooth (for example). :D

Jim

17. iceknyght

iceknyght New Member

Dec 27, 2011
    Graphic Designer
    NorCal
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Makes sense to me... :)

The only options I added were:

Grey paint color ($500 extra for paint? Really?)
    Heated seats (cause the wife *has* to have this option in all new cars we buy, LOL)
    Mini Connected (cause its cool and for some reason my iPhone doesn't like to work right with the little audio cable in our current MCS)
    Sports Suspension (We have it in our current MCS and love it)
    and the redwood accented Steering wheel, Gear shift boot and E-brake boot (cause they don't have a red seat option)

Made a few changes to some of the other options, but they were the no cost ones... :)

18. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    #38 Minidave, Jan 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
    What about Zenons? I just about can't see at night without mine, I won't have another car without them (unless something even better comes out)

Also, I don't know as I can own another MINI without getting better seats (read - Recarros) both my '03 and '09 seats really are not that comfortable. The '03's felt like I had a football between me and the backrest, and the '09's pinch and chafe my thighs something terrible, even on short drives.

Somehow I've never had this problem on any VW/Audi/Porsche I've owned....even inexpensive Rabbits or 914's.

I went back and tried the configurator again with just the bare necessities - non metallic paint, Zenons + the adaptive option (only $100), Recarros, 17" wheels, center armrest, and the automatic - I still came up to $33,550. Still $7K more than my clubby with the same equipment save the seats - but my Clubby also has metallic paint, and roof rails, so call it $5K more, for much less vehicle. I'm having a hard time with the economics of it, you can see......

19. iceknyght

iceknyght New Member

Dec 27, 2011
    Graphic Designer
    NorCal
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    We have just the normal headlights in our MCS and they work fine... Never had a problem with them or a problem seeing with them... I live in California where there is ALWAYS traffic of some sort and the chances of actually riding alone along some baron road and needing super bright lights are pretty slim... LOL!

I would love to get the Recaro seats, but don't *need* them... Again, the seats we have in the MCS are fine... I commute 90 miles daily and we drive from the Bay Area to LA all the time (about 350 miles) and they are comfortable enough... The Recaros would be nice though... :)

20. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I did the color thing too and went with BRG.

Heated seats, without the Cold Weather package saved some bucks.

There are a number of "no cost" options and I took them too.

I can do everything else, after market, much cheaper.

Jim