1st Gen R53 Cooper S SC rebuild

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by hohokam, Oct 25, 2009.

Tags:
  1. hohokam

hohokam New Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Student
    Denton, Texas
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    While in austin last week for the dyno/tune, jan found out that my SC was running hotter than normal. Meaning that my timinig was cut in half, ergo, lack of full power. Sooo, I am needing to rebuild the ole' bad boy.

I am hopefully going to do this soon,

so if anyone knows where i can send it, please let me know.

2. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
  3. sc? as in a lexus sc? or a cooper s? lol mcs?

4. hohokam

hohokam New Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Student
    Denton, Texas
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  5. ohhhh superchargers lol. sorry i was on the lexus forums looking at pics and i wasnt thinking MINI earlier :p

6. hohokam

hohokam New Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Student
    Denton, Texas
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You always have to think MINI :D

7. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    A Man of Wit and Charm! (Just ask my wife!)
    Woodside, CA, up in the hills and trees.
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    You should ask for a clarification.....

There are two ways for air to get back "around" the SC. One is for the by-pass valve to start to go or not seal well. This is external to the SC and can be replaced in the driveway. The other is called "reversion" and is from air leaking around the rotors or being sucked back through the rotors as they mesh because there's a bit of a void there.

I'm not sure I understand the description of what's going on with your car.

Two other places that do SC rebuilds are Endyn and Steigemeier (and I always spell the last one wrong).

Matt

8. phydeaux

phydeaux New Member

May 5, 2009
    Maple Valley, WA
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    So what's the local opinion on the bearing shield being cracked, requiring a whole new SC unit? I've got an '05 SC sitting in a box in my garage for this very reason, requiring (through a long story) that I run with an '04 build SC on my late '05 MCS. I've kept it just in case, cause I felt it amazing that no one could rebuild one of these things.

And while we're on the subject, is the '05+ SC significantly better with that fin coating or whatever it was? Does that alone account for the +5 HP that came about with the '05 MCS? Was I silly to keep an SC sitting in a box for the last two years, just on the off chance that I may someday want to swap back to the (perceived) better SC?

9. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    We offer to do supercharger rebuilding. The price actually varies based off of what you need. When we get it in we inspect the blower and evaluate what it needs. Then price it to you. If you want to do it and want less turn around we keep a rebuilt one ready to ship to you.

FYI: I used supercharger technologies and they are terrible, I stopped using them, and also have had a couple blowers fail less than 2k miles after they rebuilt it.

10. checkers

checkers Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Male
    retired
    Modesto, Ca
    Ratings:
    +1,153 / 0 / -1
    PSE modified my SC (ported) and replaced all the bearings with upgrades. They did a good job, but it took 3 weeks longer than they said it would. I haven't had any problems with it.

11. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
  12. Bimmer Lite

Bimmer Lite New Member

May 5, 2009
    English/Journalism teacher and writer
    NJ
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I used Dustin at autoxcooper. He's very helpful and stands by the work the machine shop does. It's more $ than supercharger technologies by about $200-300 depending on what you want done.

No complaints about the new (rebuilt) charger yet. I'll have complaints if it doesn't last!

- Marc

13. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    For those that want more than a simple rebuild

There is A LOT of stuff to think about. There's the coatings that can be applied to rotors and case, there's also the sound ports on the outlet. Some companies fill them some don't. I've thought about this a lot but don't have any data to back up my guesses. Anyway, just so you all know, not all shops do the same thing when upgrading the units. So do your homework.

I've also found that going directly to the source of the work gets a bit clearer lines of communication as to what's going on, and a lower price point as well. But then, they may not have units in stock like Way and others carry.

Matt

14. Bimmer Lite

Bimmer Lite New Member

May 5, 2009
    English/Journalism teacher and writer
    NJ
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I definitely wanted to do this, but I didn't have the language/know-how to really guarantee that I was getting what I'd need. So I trusted a middle-man and probably paid more for it. Hopefully it'll work out - all is good so far.

It hasn't been mentioned yet, but if you want to go the MINI route, the part itself is around $1,700-1,800. :eek:ut:

- Marc

edit - to add, I'm noticing lower engine oil temps post-rebuild. No, it's not the cooler weather - I've driven on warm days, too. Could it mean that since my SC was not spinning freely, it was adding more heat to the engine? Don't know...

15. hohokam

hohokam New Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Student
    Denton, Texas
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have been calling around, getting advice and quotes for the rebuild.
    I have been hearing different thing. I should/i shouldnt.

I talk to Terry, who talked to Jan; This is what he said

"the runs on the supercharger started at 35deg C and ended at 67deg C.

this was by far the highest any of them got. The highest of the others was about 50 C

it ran up exponentially as the rpm neared redline. This isn't normal"

So they both Jan and Terry believe its my SC.

If you have other opinions please let me know.

16. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Hmmmm...

That's a 17 C post IC compared to the other cars. While it's not normal, I'm not sure what would do that. The SC is an expensive part, so make sure before you break out the CC!

Matt

17. hohokam

hohokam New Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Student
    Denton, Texas
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Oh yeah i am going to talk to me mechanic, soon. it still runs just "not as well as it could" i am getting 181 hp and 167 tq so thats ok with 78k on hopefully i can make it increase when this thing is all over.

18. mini_racer

mini_racer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    hohokam, did you ever find a SC or rebuild your old one?

19. xalfa

xalfa New Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think the gain was due to a couple of things, that one included. The crank pulley is a lot lighter and I think the ECU was tweaked as well. FWIW, the early (03-04) JCW SCs also had the same "abrasive" rotor coating.

20. syn3rgy

syn3rgy New Member

Jun 6, 2010
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I also called Dustin at Autoxcooper to get my SC rebuilt. Actually its on its way back to me now. I had to strange noise coming from mine and it ended up being the PTO side of the SC had no oil and the gears began to eat each other.