1st Gen R53 Cooper S Most liked posts in thread: Scallops are for eating!

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    First you want to identify the source of the problem.

Are all of them doing this?

Have you checked the alignment?

How many miles on the tires? On the MINI?

Depending on how bad the cupping, or scalloping is it may be reversible, but if it's gone far the tires may be shot. Post a picture of them please.

2. Ferroequine

Ferroequine Club Coordinator

Jun 7, 2009
    Calgary
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I had this happen on just one of my OEM Dunlop SP 9000 runflats. I've been told that this is not uncommon on runflats, especially when they get close to the wear marks.

3. maacodale

maacodale Club Coordinator

May 7, 2009
    Maaco Collision Repair & Auto Painting Center owne
    Poquoson, VA
    Ratings:
    +265 / 0 / -0
    Ditto, had one run flat scallop or "cup" and was told the same thing. After checking the other 3, doing another alignment and checking shocks, everything else was ruled out and the culprit HAD to be the tire. Spent the big bucks and put a new run flat Dunlop on the left rear and it was fine for the next 3K miles. When we broke a belt in another we decided to pitch the RF real quick!

4. Lop

Lop New Member

May 27, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    it is your alignment I had that on my rear tires too. my fix was swap them to the front and pretend you are John Force at the staging light :cornut:

5. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Last time one of my tires scalloped, it was 'cause I had mushroomed one of the strut towers and the car was out of alignment.

6. kelly girl

kelly girl New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    has nothing to do with my MINI :( -- but at least
    in a nuclear fallout bunker, complete with bottle
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Last summer i experienced cupping (and NOT in the good way you're thinking)

It was worth having the car checked out.. an alignment solved the problem lickety split!

good luck, hope it's not an expensive problem

7. BLUCOOPR

BLUCOOPR New Member

May 21, 2009
    Retired Truck Driver
    Charlotte, North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Could be alignment even the rears get out. Could be toe in toe out not set properly. Before you put new tires get the alignment checked and toe in etc. Over inflated and under inflated can cause this on the outside corners and inside corners along with wearing the thread down in the middle of the tire. Get alighnment with the low profile tires and the short travel of the shocks pot holes are the worst enemy of tires. I have stock wheels that are almost 5 years old and everyone of them are bent to some degree. Nothing serious yet but will probably have to fix the bent wheels or buy new ones later on down the road.