SCCA 2012 DSP - R56 JCW Class Prep and Results

Discussion in 'Autocross' started by GreyLens, Feb 23, 2012.

1. GreyLens

GreyLens New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 25, 2009
    Electrical Engineer
    San Antonio, Texas
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    This thread is a continuation of the below listed thread:

http://www.motoringalliance.com/forums/autox/11732-scca-stx-2012-r56-class-prep-introduction.html#axzz1n6u7QpEg

I finally made the move from STX to D-Street Prepared for many reasons outlined in the above thread. Actually, the advice I got from contributors to that thread helped push me to finally make this move.

The DSP class opens up many opportunities for addition modifications to the car. A fully prepped DSP car is considered by most to not be desirable as a daily driver. But, the mods authorized in DSP are, IMHO, more compatible for a car that will see some track time as well as autox. But, there are many more choices to make especially if you want to build a car that will serve as a daily driver, a fairly competitive autox'er and really fun track day car. Obviously, all three will be compromised at some level. Mine will lean more toward a reasonable daily driver for a relatively short daily commute and fun weekend tours and a darn good performer on the autox field. The track day format will be the lowest priority and, therefore, the most compromised. But, it will still be pretty hot on the track...at least for my average driving skills.

Again, I'll try to label each new issue under a good title that could be captured by a specific search.

2. GreyLens

GreyLens New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 25, 2009
    Electrical Engineer
    San Antonio, Texas
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    DSP Major Mod Differences with STX

The following is a rough list of modification differences between DSP and STX prioritized somewhat by importance to performance on the autox field. I'll likely address each one at some point in the thread.

1. Wheels and Tires. DSP has no limitation on wheels or tires and STX does. Potentially a big difference here because in DSP you can flare the wheel wells and in STX you can't.

2. Engine performance and weight. In DSP you can run any tune (this is a biggie...in STX you can't change boost levels!), super charger pulley's are free in DSP (an issue that kicks many R53's into DSP), intercoolers can be upgraded in DSP but not STX, any clutch and flywheel is allowed in DSP but STX has to remain stock, air conditioning systems can be removed in DSP but not STX, front seats in STX have to be minimum weight of 25 lbs but no weight minimum for DSP, no air bag in steering wheel needed in DSP. There are some differences in exhaust allowances as well, I think.

Most all other allowances are essentially the same in the two classes. I'll address all of these at some point. The limitations of the R56 become more important for some of the allowances in DSP than in STX so I'll discuss those as well.

DSP is often said to be a slippery slope of mods that leads to a harsh daily driver. I'm going to try to find a compromise that still renders a pretty competitive car at the local and divisional level that is still a fun DD'er.

3. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    You don't have to prep to the limit of the rules of DSP to have a highly competitive car that is still acceptable to drive. I have faith you will find a good balance.

One note: Tires aren't open. You may run R-comps but no slicks or more formally: You can run DOT approved tires that have a tread-groove but you cannot run non-approved non-grooved competition race tires. Only the Prepared and Modified classes get race slicks tires.

4. GreyLens

GreyLens New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 25, 2009
    Electrical Engineer
    San Antonio, Texas
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    I agree...I think I can get pretty competitive in DSP and still have a fun DD'er.

Yep, you're right...slicks aren't allowed in DSP.

I think I've decided on Hoosier A6's. I'd like to have the set up before mid March so I can use them at the National Tour at College Station. I'll post more on that soon.

What's your status...you still headed to Austin?

5. Redbeard

Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    Yes. If I can get work out there before the wedding in April I will move sooner. Otherwise, I will be out there by mid April.

A6s are the way to go. If you've never run them before talk to some locals and see what they like for pressures and how they deal with the heat of summer to maintain them.

6. GreyLens

GreyLens New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 25, 2009
    Electrical Engineer
    San Antonio, Texas
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    Wheels and Tires for the R56 in SCCA DSP

Well, I did it. I ordered Kosei K1 TS's, 17x7, in light grey and Hoosier A6's in 225x40x17's.

Right now I run Kosei K1 TS's, 17x7, in silver with R-S3's, 215x45x17, for daily driving and track. When these R-S3's wear out I'll be looking for a different street tire for DDing and track...I'll explain more about that in a post on the "Targa Newfoundland Dream."

7. Redbeard

Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    #7 Redbeard, Apr 24, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
    Looking forward to seeing GreyLens perform in person this weekend!

8. GreyLens

GreyLens New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 25, 2009
    Electrical Engineer
    San Antonio, Texas
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    Brian,

It was great to finally meet you! Welcome to both of you to the eastern edge of Comanche Territory otherwise known as the Hill Country.

It was a good day yesterday. I'll post a little detail soon on some lessons learned from my first real DSP event (because I ran the A6's for the first time).

9. GreyLens

GreyLens New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 25, 2009
    Electrical Engineer
    San Antonio, Texas
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    We've held two events since my last post. I took first place in DSP class by 0.1s in April and first place in May by 0.4s. In Raw Times I placed 36th out of 138 drivers in April and 24th out of 119 drivers in May.

My main in-class competitor is a MazdaSpeed3 which is essentially stock but he runs R6 Hoosiers, which do very well in the Texas heat even in autox. I'm confident my main competitor is still out driving me because I have quite an edge on technology upgrades and I'm just barely beating him. He's quite smooth out there and does really well. But, I can tell I'm learning more with each event so I think I have a strong position for the rest of the year.

The main reason I pushed ahead in the last two events was the Hoosier A6's. As good as the RS3's are the A6's change the game. Doing the change of wheels during the day hasn't been all that bad in the spring heat. But, summer heat will make the wheel change at the end of the day a bit of a pain. I have to say I'm having fun seeing what my maximum is in this car. I can push it much harder than I have so far with these tires...it will take a while to learn how to really use them.

I have yet to upgrade the intercooler but I'm running the Stage 1 tune with the linear throttle in the event now and it does make it more fun. The additional torque and hp helps on more open courses but less on a slower more technical course. But, it is definitely fun running the Cobb Tune on the course like I do on the street...no change up in approach needed.

10. Redbeard

Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    I've got to buy your entry into another event so I can co-drive with you.

11. GreyLens

GreyLens New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 25, 2009
    Electrical Engineer
    San Antonio, Texas
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    Quick update. I took 1st place for the June and July events. In June I won it on the last of four runs by only 14/1000 s. Whew! In July I won by about 0.8s...much better.

I just registered for the SCCA National Championships at Lincoln, NE, 4-7 September. I'm going to finish out most of the DSP allowed mods which will include the intercooler and a stronger rear anti-sway bar. I won't do any of the weight reduction stuff or flare wheel wells. I'll do an update on those mods and a couple of other upgrades during the next post. I'll also use this thread to post a bit of the nationals experience if anyone is interested.

In 2011 there were over 15 entrants and they were fast. I have no hopes of doing much but it should be a blast. I'm a member of SASCA and Spokes clubs so I'll be in the Texas row at the back of the pits...I'm told there is BBQ all week.

There is already another MINI JCW registered so I'm going to try to track him down before the event and touch base. But most of the field is BMW 3 series based.

12. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    Gray lens great job of winning, good luck in Lincoln

13. Redbeard

Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    Sounds good! Sorry I've missed the last few events. The wife and I have been swamped by one thing or another.

14. GreyLens

GreyLens New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 25, 2009
    Electrical Engineer
    San Antonio, Texas
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    August Event and Prep for Nationals

I took first place out of four DSP entrants this month. The others were running in MazdaSpeed3's. My fastest time was 44.145 and the second place timed at 45.108 so I finished with a good margin. I think I'll be able to maintain that edge for the rest of the year. I placed 29th out of 119 drivers.

I've installed two mods since the last event...a 22mm rear sway bar by NM Engineering and some 6mm spacers that someone gave me at the event. The combination definitely improved the handling. I'm running the sway bar on the first set of holes and will experiment with the stronger settings soon. I really like where the Lenz is at right now and will tune it all a bit in the next couple of weeks for the nationals as well as get a wheel alignment done. And, I've scheduled to "Test n Tune" hour sessions at the Nationals on that Monday. I don't run till Thursday and Friday so I'll have time for additional test n practice time on Tues and Wed if needed.

The DSP class at the nationals is known at the "BimmerFest"...out of 22 entrants they are all older BMW 3 series except two MINI JCW's, two Impreza's and a 1970's Alfa. The other MINI is a new JCW Coupe that has a particular mod that has pushed him into DSP but he seems to have little else upgraded. But, he's game. I look forward to meeting him.

Obviously, most of the Bimmers in DSP are fully configured for the class and most of the drivers have been there before. So, I have no illusions about prospects...I'm sure it will be most humbling...but a great deal of fun.

Most of the other MINI's at the nationals are are Coopers running in H-Stock..which is essentially dominated by MINI. There are a few Cooper-S's in D-Stock. The JCW's would fit into C-Stock but they just couldn't keep up because of suspension disadvantages and there are none entered there yet. JCW's also fit in the STX class but they are at a real disadvantage there as well so there are none signed up there yet either. STX has 53 entries...mostly newer BMW 3 series, RX-8's and some WRX's. STX is a tough class for JCW's.

Essentially, though I love my JCW and will drive it till I die, it is not much of a player at the national autox level in any class. The cooper still dominates H-Stock but that's it.

In DSP a big factor is the size and width of wheels and tires...lots of rubber meets the road in DSP. I haven't flared the wheel wells so I'm limited to 225-40-17 Hoosier A-6's while most of the bimmer's run 265's+++. The limitations of the narrow wheel wells also holds MINI's back in the other classes.

I'm doing basic prep this weekend...fluids, bleeding brakes, etc. The new NM Engineering slotted disks in front work great and look great so that has been fun.

15. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Good Luck! Have Fun!

Here's to some great results. :beer

16. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    Congrats, good luck and have fun!

17. GreyLens

GreyLens New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 25, 2009
    Electrical Engineer
    San Antonio, Texas
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    Best Laid Plans...

As I posted in the other thread about the Nationals I've had to withdraw my entry for work reasons. Totally bummed. But, in prep I have the Lenz in great shape and will post some info on the final mods and alignment specs.

K-huevo has been helping me resolve a number of issues.

18. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    :frown2: Sucks to act like an adult sometimes.

19. GreyLens

GreyLens New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 25, 2009
    Electrical Engineer
    San Antonio, Texas
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    Indeed.

One good thing is the effort finally got me off my butt to finalize several things I've been putting off. I had a great work day with k-huevo and sorted out a lot. I have one more day with him next week to do final changes and I'll be set up for a final config for next year's nationals...and a whole 12 months of driving to drill the skills. By 2013 I aim to knock off at least a couple of the 18+ BMW 3 series beasts that frequent the nationals. Well...

I'll do a post with the final changes we did and the final config info if anyone is interested. As I've worked through the D-Stock, STX and DSP rules for the R56 JCW's I increasingly believe that of the three classes the JCW might have a better chance in DSP than the other two classes. I would love to have a pros/cons discussion with folks in those classes and see what they think.

20. GreyLens

GreyLens New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 25, 2009
    Electrical Engineer
    San Antonio, Texas
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    #20 GreyLens, Sep 8, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
    K-Huevo's Werkin Mini

Spent the day with k-huevo yesterday finishing set up and final mods. I updated my signature below to list the major mods I have in place now. All of these mods are compatible with the DSP class in SCCA Solo II.

As a side note, when we changed the Intercooler to the Helix, the OEM Intercooler was essentially dry. No accumulation of scuz at all after 45,000 miles! May not bother with catch can after all.

K-huevo pushed me into returning to the 70Nmm Swift Springs in the front and leaving the 60Nmm springs in the rear. Though I was reluctant to do so I have to admit I think it was a good move. The ride is not changed appreciably but based on playing around on my way home I think the new config will work well in autox. He swears I will like it so well I'll be back one day to raise the rates on the springs again. We'll see.

Everything else is working great. We set the NM sway bar to the second hole for the rest of the year. In the end I may like it moved forward to the more aggressive setting but I thought I'd try it like this for a few months first. All fluids are new, brakes bled and I will get an alignment this week and keep it at the same settings as before...-2.5F, -1.6R, Slight Toe-in F&R. The rest of the year should be mine in autox. :fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed:

The next project will be to install a suite of gauges. I'm considering the Craven/Marshall combo for Oil Pressure, Water Temp, Boost and Oil Temp. The total cost runs around a grand...whew. We'll see what Santa says. If anyone has input on gauges I'm all ears.

Again, if anyone gets a chance to have k-huevo do work on your mini I highly recommend his work and value is analysis and recommendations for performance set ups.