SCCA STX 2012 - R56 Class Prep / Introduction

Discussion in 'Autocross' started by GreyLens, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    Cool. Sounds like DSP might be the more fun class to run for you this year. If you don't mind me asking how is D-Stock in your area? Really competitive?

BTW, if you were on street tires (dead or not) and you weren't behind the guy by at LEAST 1.5 secs (yes on a short course) You out drove him. As soon as you have R-comps he will be chasing you the rest of the season.

2. GreyLens

GreyLens New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 25, 2009
    Electrical Engineer
    San Antonio, Texas
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    All the heavy hitters were out for this event and D-Stock was empty for both Jan and Feb. Around here there is a lot of SS, BS and CS.

Yes, I'm thinking the same thing about the tires. He is definitely more consistent as a driver than I am in that he seldom has a wild run but I usually have one or two a day. But, I'm getting better at that. DSP is definitely going to be more fun for me. It is also a natural place for R53's because of the propensity to mod the pulley on the SuperCharger.

3. merlot

merlot New Member

Dec 9, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi all, glad I found this thread!

I plan to run my 2012 MCS in STX this year. As with my previous cars, I will run it stock (at least at first). I've done well enough locally in STX with a stock 2003 WRX, and STU with a stock 2008 STI, so I figure I should be fine with a stock MCS. My main reason for running STX and staying near stock is cost.

Since my MCS is my DD, I ordered it with the standard suspension, 16" wheels, all-seasons, and DTC. I originally planned to buy another set of 16" wheels and decent summer tires, but after reading this thread, I'm leaning towards 17" with 215/45/17 RS-3s. I ordered the DTC since it included the eLSD which I'm hoping will help with tire spin. I also plan on getting a decent alignment.

I'll run this setup for a season, then decide if I want to add any upgrades, like a rear bar, or a real LSD. My main objective is to have fun!

4. GreyLens

GreyLens New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 25, 2009
    Electrical Engineer
    San Antonio, Texas
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    Merlot,

Glad you're jumping in. I think STX is a great place to start for anyone who doesn't want to do the R-comp tire thing in the stock classes. Some clubs run a "tire" class but I think doing STX is just more fun and gets you focused on what it takes for a national level class. Even if you never go there it is fun to see how you compare to folks who do.

Note: I'm doing the 17" wheels primarily because of the big brembo brakes on the JCW. Some folks prefer the 15 or 16" wheels because you can go lighter. Personally, I also like the way the 17's looks...just the right size to look substantial but not overbearing.

I've moved to the Street Prepared class but I'll read and participate in this thread if I can be helpful. Good news is...you're doing this to have fun and you will!!

5. emptyo

emptyo Member

May 6, 2014
    Podcaster
    San Diego
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    Thanks!

Thanks for this great thread. I'm developing an STX 07 MCS right now (I've only had it for a couple weeks) and this has really helped me make some key decisions in my near future purchases. Looking forward to getting to know you guys.

Michael

6. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I see this is your first post on M\A so welcome to M\A the FUN MINI site! :Thumbsup:

Ask all the questions you want because we have lots of people here that are track rats and love to help other MINI racers out.

We don't tell you to use the search feature here on M\A.

7. GreyLens

GreyLens New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 25, 2009
    Electrical Engineer
    San Antonio, Texas
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    Emptyo,

Glad this has been helpful. Good to see it renewed. Hopefully, some current STXers will jump in with some updates. STX has essentially remained the same and the participation rates have skyrocketed since that first year when I started. I'm currently doing DSP but I had to take most of this year off. I'm gearing up again to begin this September with a goal of winning the local DSP trophy for 2015. This time though I'm going back to street tires so it will be interesting to see if I can keep up against the A6's.

There are some pretty sharp folks on MA so don't hesitate to ask. I got a bunch of help through this thread.

MotorOn!