SCCA STX Class Build and Experience

Discussion in 'Autocross' started by GreyLens, Aug 16, 2010.

1. danf

danf New Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thought I'd bring this thread back to life. Last weekend I ran with a club that doesn't follow SCCA rules. The class for MINIs is FWD. So matter what your mods you run in that class, it makes for great fun. They setup a real sweet technical but fast course, actually got to shift to 3rd for a short stretch. We got in 14 runs on a 70+ second course. I came in 3rd out of 4 cars in FWD but had a great time as usual.

This weekend I'm trying something new as I just bought a Miata. Will continue to use the MINI at most events though.

So how is everyone else doing at their events?

2. GreyLens

GreyLens New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 25, 2009
    Electrical Engineer
    San Antonio, Texas
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    Wow...that's a lot of seat time! Cool.

I haven't had an event since I installed the OSG LSD. My next event is a week from tomorrow with the SPOKES Club (Austin) and then one the following Sunday with the SASCA club...both are SCCA clubs. I'll report on both when finished.

Today I'm installing the NM CAI and NM strut bar, both in blue. On 15 October I get an RMW custom tune. That will be it for the engine.

I'll drive this config for about a year or two and then do the suspension. I plan to stay in STX long term.

3. CarlB

CarlB Active Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    Wow! That is a great Autocross club. Where do you live? With the SCCA in my area you get 4. I also run with the local BMW club, and we sometimes get 5.

4. danf

danf New Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I live in southern New Hampshire but where I do most of my auto-xing is at Devens airfield in Ayer, Mass. It is an army airbase that is no longer in use by the military. From the end of March until the last week of October there is an auto-x event held on both days every single weekend. There is the BMW club, 2 Porsche clubs a Miata club, 2 Ford clubs, a Corvette club and the SCCA. All these groups hold 7-9 events a season. There are also some smaller clubs that hold one or two events. There is also an EVO school there every year.

There are 2 wide runways both in excellent shape and a bunch of taxiways and ramps that form a large triangle or a small triangle. The large triangle is a 2 mile course, the small triangle is a 1 mile course. Some clubs run the long course others the short. You will get at least 8 runs with any club except the SCCA where you only get 3 runs because they usually draw 170 drivers. This is why I have never done an SCCA event. There are so many clubs to choose from and most of them welcome anyone no matter what you drive. Although I missed the event, last Sunday the Corvette club had a light turnout and they got in 20 runs on the short course.

It's a really great place to hold an auto-x. The airport is actually owned by several towns and they want to develop it. There is a threat every year that "this" is going to be the last year that we have the site for use. When that happens there are going to be allot of sad faces from all over New England.

5. GreyLens

GreyLens New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 25, 2009
    Electrical Engineer
    San Antonio, Texas
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    That's an incredible set up. Here we have an SCCA club in San Antonio, Austin, Corpus Christie and Texas A&M. The SCCA clubs here always get 5 to 7 runs depending on the number of drivers. The A&M club runs on an airfield so they get 70+ second runs. The rest of us do with 40-50 sec runs and Corpus does 6 runs each day on both Sat and Sun for one weekend a month.

6. GreyLens

GreyLens New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 25, 2009
    Electrical Engineer
    San Antonio, Texas
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    #26 GreyLens, Oct 1, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2010
    Here's a short update on my experience in STX. Since January 2010 I've competed in 15+ events. There is a well driven 2002 WRX that usually took 1st place. I finally beat him once on fastest time right after I got new lite wheels and better tires. Last week was the first opportunity to run against him with the Limited Slip in place. Bottom line, I beat his best time by 1.2 secs on a 57.34 sec time. I also, for the first time, beat his times for all the other runs except one. I placed 19 out of 79 in pax scores which is a big step up for me. The LSD has definitely transformed the car.

I do have much to learn about using it effectively, though. Like most inexperienced drivers I have a tendency to stay on the accelerator too long and come into hard corners way too fast, unsettle the car, bog down and lose the spool on the turbo and come out way too slow, resulting in an overall slower time.

Interestingly, the LSD makes that tendency even worse because getting on the accelerator out of a turn is so exciting I tend to overdrive it into the next corner. The adage, "slow is smooth, smooth is fast" is making more sense with each race. But it is hard to do. Especially when the LSD just flat out improves power transfer to the pavement and acceleration so much. Once I learn to really modulate my speed more effectively I'll be able to take real advantage of it.

The pull through the LSD affords definitely makes up for some of the weaknesses in my current suspension set up. I'm still running a stock cooper suspension. The next change will be installation of the JCW Rear Anti-roll bar...18.5mm to replace the existing 17.5 mm. It is not as aggressive as other aftermarket ones but it is half the price and I thought it should do the trick for now. I may experiment with a heavier one next year after I upgrade the suspension.

7. danf

danf New Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Nice going, LSD makes a huge difference. I used to be the same way going into corners too fast/braking too late. This was one of the huge things I corrected after taking an EVO school. Now I think I may brake a little early but it's better than late.

Must be nice auto-xing down in Texas. Are there events year round? We don't start until April around here but I go quite a bit. Tomorrow will be my 26th event this year.

8. GreyLens

GreyLens New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 25, 2009
    Electrical Engineer
    San Antonio, Texas
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    Yes, we hold events year round in San Antonio. Of course, July and August are often not attended as heavily as the other months because of the heat.

Wow, 26 events given your short season is great. Next year I plan to hit two local events a month and 4 to 6 regional/divisional SCCA events as well. That will be a full year for me.

Actually, I'm glad you said you may brake a little too early but that's better than late. It brings home my core problem of thinking I need to be at max acceleration (positive or negative) every second. When you think it through, giving up a little time at higher speed going into a curve so you can take full advantage of a settled car and great traction accelerating out of the curve has to be faster than ploughing through and skidding around. I plan to get to a school early next year.

9. GreyLens

GreyLens New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 25, 2009
    Electrical Engineer
    San Antonio, Texas
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0

10. danf

danf New Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am too busy having fun with my cars to pay much attention to politics.

11. GreyLens

GreyLens New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 25, 2009
    Electrical Engineer
    San Antonio, Texas
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    I'm running Kozei TS K1 wheels, 17x7's with Z1 Star specs in 215-45-17. Great combo for autocross. But, I'm thinking of getting a wider tire next. I've read other posts but hoping someone might post their most recent experience. I'm thinking of 225-40-17's or 235-40-17's of some comparable brand to the Z1's. I found a few posts claiming success with both sizes...just wondering if anyone are currently running these. Not really interested in new wheels right now either but I can go to a 7.5" or 8.0" wide wheel late next year. I'm staying in the STX class for autocross.

12. GreyLens

GreyLens New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 25, 2009
    Electrical Engineer
    San Antonio, Texas
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    We had an autox event with SASCA (San Antonio Sports Car Association) this week. I finished 13th/69 in PAX scores and 15th/69 in RAW. I installed the JCW anti-sway bar just before the event and it made a significant difference. I also placed 1st in my class...but I was the only entry..ha.

In August I placed 9th/72 in PAX and 17th/72 in RAW and 1st/6 in STX. I'm definitely improving a bit. I won't be doing any more performance mods till next spring. So, it will be all about seat time for the next few months.

13. danf

danf New Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Nice driving, congrats.

14. M^Cubed

M^Cubed Member

May 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    I'm confused... Your signature and thread both talk about a 2009 JCW, but you are talking about the S/C blower pulley and the photo in the thread is a R53.

You might want to check out your VIN or inside your door - hopefully someone didn't sell you a 2002-06 as a 2009 model

15. GreyLens

GreyLens New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 25, 2009
    Electrical Engineer
    San Antonio, Texas
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    If you're commenting on the GreyLens posts I think you got confused when I quoted someone else who was asking about the S/C pulley and I quoted their post with their picture. I bought the GreyLenz new and I have the "day of delivery" picture in my garage.

This thread is meant to discuss the implications of the SCCA STX rules on all mini's. :smile5::smile5:

16. M^Cubed

M^Cubed Member

May 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for clearing that up for me!! Sorry for the confusion.

Is your OS Giken straight of the shelf or has tuning been done to it? I've been looking at the OS Giken and the Torsen SVT unit.

17. GreyLens

GreyLens New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 25, 2009
    Electrical Engineer
    San Antonio, Texas
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    #37 GreyLens, Oct 25, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
    We didn't modify the OS Giken. It was straight-up install which I had done by WerkinMini in Boerne, Texas. As I've mentioned on other posts it is truly transformative.

We held a local Gymkana and HPDE event here on Saturday. That was the first time I've been on the track since the LSD install. I'm still driving the basic CooperS suspension with only the JCW Anti-sway bar and a strut bar that has anything to do with suspension/handling. Bottom line, the performance on the track was incredible compared to my previous sessions. I'm very pumped.

Any of the quality LSD's will have pretty much the same effect. I'm very happy with the OS Giken and highly recommend it. But it is pricey and other options are probably just as good. Several folks around here swear by the Quaife as well.

18. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    The first question should be.......are you there to have fun or win?

Makes a big difference, as I am in the M classes on my cars but I don't care if I am competitive or not in those classes. I go to improve myself and my times. I don't go to win the races as I don't want to mod the car to be competitive. Best decidion I ever made, since I now don't get hungup on shaving those last few thousandths, but rather go to have fun and mingle with the rest of the racers.

19. GreyLens

GreyLens New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 25, 2009
    Electrical Engineer
    San Antonio, Texas
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    I'm really not sure what you mean, though I hear this a lot..."are you there to have fun or win?" When I read that several times in a row it makes me laugh.

I also don't do autocross just to win. Few do. If everyone did there would be no one racing since there can be only one winner at a time. But, trying hard to win each time you're out IS the fun. If you're not trying hard you're cheating the fellow running in your class. Btw, I'm not familiar with M class.

If you're not there to win then why do you drive fast on the track at all? Why not set a pace of 15 mph max for every race and then hang out and cheer on your buddies? Wow, that sounds like great fun. The point to racing is to try to GO FASTER THAN THE OTHER GUY. To do so you must think hard, work hard and practice a lot. I like that stuff...it's fun.

Btw, putting in an LSD guarantees you'll go faster. If you've never rolled on the throttle on a FWD with a strong LSD as you're coming into the apex on a late apex turn, then you're missing a LOT of fun. If you don't want to spend the dollars on an LSD (they are quite pricey) then drive in a class that doesn't allow them. Competition is always good for anyone trying to build skills in any endeavor. Not trying to win just sounds a little silly to me. (Crocheting doesn't require anyone to win.) But I still don't understand what that has to do with putting mods on the car. The mods help you go faster. Faster is fun. Winning is also, dare I say it, FUN TOO!!

20. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Huh.......? Glad I could help with brightening up your day.

Totally missed my point. Not everyone attends an AutoX with the purpose of winning. Yes it would be nice, but to say that the only way to have fun is to try and win is just plain wrong. I have been AutoX since the early 80's. I spent 2 years in the 80's getting my stock class car competitive and ended up winning my class for the year. Was the most stressful year of autoxing I have ever done. Am I competitive.....you bet. But I am more interested in making sure that I AM THE ONE IMPROVING. Don't really care how I stack up against the competition, cause my car is not going to be competitive. Never had a problem with anyone being upset at me cause I didn't win my class......not sure why anyone would be mad at all. And by the way, the M class refers to any MODIFIED class.

And the point of racing is to beat the other guys, but this isn't "racing". This is a way to put your car and abilities up and compare them to others.

I guess this is the difference between the A's and the B's of the world.......and I am happy being a B. Don't need to pound my chest and declare to the world that I am better than someone else. I have met your type at the course, and I pity folks like you that can't simply compete for the sake of having fun. The win at all costs is not something I subscribe to.

Have you ever been on the track and raced in an actual fender to fender race? Not against the clock, but against a whole bunch of other people? Is the only good race the one being run by the guy in the lead? Or is there perhaps a much better race for position father back in the field?

If you want to mod the car to be successful (win) at autoxing, then by all means do it. I wasn't questioning your desire, just your motivation. But if you end up sacrificing your daily drive for this, is that something you are willing to live with? Cause judging from your sig, looks like a lot of parts are going to have to come off if you want to stick with the STX class.

Oh, and AutoX is a hell of a lot harder on the car than track days or a fun day in the twisties.