Engine Drivetrain 1st Gen Cooper Schrick question

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by AliceCooper, Nov 13, 2010.

1. AliceCooper

AliceCooper Club Coordinator

Mar 13, 2010
    CT Technologist
    South Florida
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    04 JCW, 15% pulley, CAI, header, JCW catback.....my question would be how is she going to run if we drop a schrick cam in on the OEM 330cc injectors ? will it make her run too lean ? I think I am probably pushing the limits of the 330's right now with the mods I have, yes? (for those that say you have a JCW thus you have 380's....wrong mine is pre injectors early JCW)

2. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Yes you will be pushing the injectors. Larger injectors with a new JCW flash or even better, a Jan tune would be money well spent. Add the Cam, get a Jan tune. 2 cents

3. mini_racer

mini_racer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    +1
    Put some 380s in there at least. If you do go with 380s, then you have various options of canned tunes. If you can get a custom tune, then you will also have the option of even larger injectors like 440s, 450s, etc. and that give you room to grow for future upgrades like a BVH.

4. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    With the stock tune the stock injectors still have your car running rich, even if you add a cam. If you are worried you can add some 380 JCW injectors, but you don't "have to". With all the car's I've tuned with those mods they all still ran rich with the stock ecu tune.

5. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    United States Navy ..Retired
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    Keep in mind there are a few different cams out there now, so you dont have to 'loose the low to mid' that the schrick is famous for. yes??

The top will be stronger, however the Newman cam or even the NS2 cam will allow more mid to low for soild street performance and only be a few HP less in the topend HP, over the schrick. High revs on the track.. then the low end means less or nothing.

Just me..................................

Thumper
    ( NS2 camshaft @ $310.00 exchange.. $360.00 out right!)

6. RallyMini370

RallyMini370 Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Engineer
    Central America
    Ratings:
    +1,587 / 0 / -0
    while on the subject of cams what would be a good cam for a MC with 11:1 CR, ported head, OBX exhaust, CAI , 4:7 or 5:1 final drive for rally use?

7. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    #7 Thumper460, Jul 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
    lol... been 2 years!! LOL

Add'l compression will make / Allow all things to be better!! It really pumps up the velocity and the camshafts love it.

11:1 on a SC is really gonna put some strain on the lower end, esp if you are in the 7500-7800 revs. I would kick around the 9:1 or maybe a 9.5:1, and ask your engine builder the power loss vs the cost of the engine build.... and reliability on the track. ( or Longevity)

Schrick/ some Cat Grinds.. there are a few new High lift cams from NS (still experimental..lol) ( Edit )brags some racing profiles, however they are so secret.. it makes doubt in my mind. ( also Newman , the cam grinder for ( edit), has had some issues with soft cores..)

Just saying.......................................

Thumper

8. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Why would you have doubts Thumper?

There is no secret to the success RMW cams have and are having on and off the track. Track records, Championships and Grand Am wins all achieved with RMW cams. If there is a Mini Cooper winning, I'd bet there is an RMW cam under the hood. Not experimental, Results.:Thumbsup:

The secret would be where the results are for your cams? Please tell us?:confused5:

9. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    #9 Thumper460, Jul 10, 2012
    LOL... I tend to be skeptical on anything performance and NO spec. Esp with a camshaft. Thus the reason for me to test and test again. I am sure there is something out there, as to the performance or performance gaings over the cam I have test, to remove the doubt in my own mind. It still is a wonder.

IMG_0783.jpg
    Some of the leading camshaft I have tested and recorded spec and results.

I dont sell my camshaft (YET) and I really dont feel the need to sell a camshaft that is in the the same, or close to the parameters in power or spec as what is out there. I want a camshaft that I would run in my car.. at the parameters that I like and enjoy.

( Edit ) is pretty secretive on his spec.. and there really isnt any sheets showing anything or anyone that is just running his cams.. there are a lot of 'combo' ( head/cam/header ect) by no 'just camshaft gains. That is cool... he can do that, and as he doesn't want his profile out, that also is good for him.. In a few years, all will be known , as the market improves and expands.. lol remember when there were only TWO?? Newman and Schrick?? Now there are 6-7 different manufactures, and the power levels are all over. It is a good thing... yes??

Just me.......................................

Thumper

10. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    #10 minimark, Jul 10, 2012
    And RMW cams have more track records, more podiums, more wins and more Championships than all of them combined. Why? Because they work!!!

If you really had wanted to know the exact specs on the RMW cams, you would have spec'd them during all your vast testing...yes?

Fact: RMW cams win races.:Thumbsup:

11. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Matter of fact, from left to right could you tell us who makes each of those cams and what each cams specs are?

12. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    Here is alittle help, zoom in on them, the first 5 or 6 have what looks like their name on them..
    Not that I can make them all out but it's there I think..... haha...

13. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    yep... sure!! and you can keep your medical insurance if you want!! And IT ISNT a TAX!! LOL Minimark we all know you are a great guy and that you are totally open to any good discussions... the facts are the facts, dont try and install your own input to stuff you have no knowledge on.. cool??

I will leave you with this....

Newmansoftlobe.jpg Latest 'soft cores' from the manufacture of the Cams in discussion. OOPS isn't the word I would use here!!
    That being said I have and have a lot of solid hard runs on my Newman cam I have had for 5 years..... But, what if...........

Just saying........

Thumper

14. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    #14 Thumper460, Jul 10, 2012
    Yes. there are the names on them , and yes, I can give you the spec... and the power curves on all of them.... lol figure the odds!! do your own testing.... LOL ever degree in a camshaft on the 1.6 mini?? any idea of what I would be saying if I even answered?? Or what was what??

LOL Full disclosure: I have NOT tested the Cams from ( edit) because 1) I have no interest. 2) there are a LOT MORE cams to choose from other than "race Car cams" 3) I will acquire a few in time, and there is plenty of time... lol

Just me..............................

Thumper

15. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    But Thumper, if in fact, as stated above, you have not tested the RMW cams, then is not what you have to say merely an opinion you have formed out of thin air and not one based on knowledge?

And thanks for the compliment!!

16. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Oh this is going no place...

1. Do your own testing?

Come on now, if we all went and did our own testing Camshaft sales would go through the roof. Of course we would have to give something up too. Like buying a cylinder head maybe...

I'll give you benefit of the doubt here and agree that you are testing all these. Why would not want want to share the info and pick up the line of the best ones to sell?

We, as the buying public have to rely on the you, the vendor, to provide information on products.

2. You are outright slamming another vendor. Sell on the merits of your products. Negative advertising is for the politicians. Notice how there is no political advertising on this site. There is a reason for that.

17. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    #17 Thumper460, Jul 10, 2012
    Actually, my statement about there being any cams..( post #7) is backed up by NO Spec, or individual camshaft improvement numbers, nothing to compare off of. Winning the podium is cool, but in track racing EVERYONE knows it is more on the suspension and Drivers. The RMW crew is fantastic. Kudo's to the Drivers!!

Issue.. when you receive NO cam card, and have NO idea on any spec numbers ( Metric or SAE) and you dont experiment with power ranges , either by changing camshafts or center lines, how do you know if there is something closer to you needs. To get a camshaft on the word of someone and install it , run it, get a big smile... is one thing!! To install a camshaft that YOU have some idea of the spec and power levels closer to what your application is.. is the better way!! Time will sort all this out!!
    How do you know that you didnt get a camshaft that is the same as the other cam , or different than the other cam , or for that matter is WHAT you paid for?? Sure would sux to be in competition and want more power than the other guy. Know he is running a certain spec or cam name, you order up a stronger grind, and end up with the same cam you started with?? LOL bummer, yes?? LOL Unless you have the spec or degree the cam... who knows what you actually have???? LOL

Just saying................................

Have a good day, I gotta get back to Porting Heads..

Just me..........................

Thumper

18. jiminni

jiminni Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    I have not seen any MA vendor slam any other MA vendor in this thread? Am I missing something?

19. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    #19 Thumper460, Jul 10, 2012
    Yes.. I must not do that, however it was a response.... I will be more careful.

When some one asks for my results I can help. As far as telling what is best or better, it is stepping on the toes of other vendors.. as far as all my time spent on dyno, or on my knees changing camshafts, that is for me to develop a camshaft I want to use, so it is a wash.

MINIMARK loves this stuff... and if he likes to keep going on and on.. it is entertaining to most. I dont think you need to ask or pose a question unless you have the facts to discus, yes?? I agree, but I just answer the question.

Keeping with the guidelines of this form.. I retract pointing to ( EDIT) on any camshaft discussion. I have no knowledge of such cams or their power levels. ( quality is just from the cam Manufacture as stated from the owner)

Nate.. ALL I do is cylinder Heads...all the rest is my experience and opinions " to help others".

Just me.............................

Thumper

20. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    The fact is Thumper you brought back a dead thread with the intent to slam another's (see edit) products. If you hadn't, you would never have heard a peep out of me.

Stick to promoting your own stuff with out dumping on others and you won't hear a peep out of me in the future..

Thanks!!!