Interior 1st Gen Screwed up my fob and "unprogrammed it"

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by jerseymini, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I've been following this thread and have never tried to do any of those things, nor can I see why I would want to. :lol:

2. Norm03s

Norm03s New Member

May 5, 2009
    Working at being retired.
    Somewhere in Sykesville. Md.
    Ratings:
    +534 / 0 / -0
    My 03 will open the windows and sun roof, nice feature. On a really blue hot day when it has been sitting in a parking lot all day.

3. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    [​IMG]

I was just reading Nathan's key reset procedure and though of this...

4. jerseymini

jerseymini New Member

Aug 10, 2012
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    very funny agranger !! LOL but truth be told, Nathan's procedure worked !!! I was able to reset my fob to unlock / lock the doors again :)

5. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,918 / 1 / -0
  6. Onramp

Onramp Enjoy the Hiways of Life!
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Retired, mostly
    Renton, WA
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    My key is acting like it has a dead battery. My 06 has about 85K on it now for what that's worth. At first, the key wouldn't unlock the car when the unlock button was pressed. Then it started missing locking the car, and now it doesn't do anything when any button is pressed. This key ALWAYS had to be touched to my face (which had to be about 5 feet from the car when touched with the key) for it to do anything. Dealer said nothing was wrong, though my wife"s car can be unlocked or locked from in the house! I used to occasionally have fun with her by opening the sunroof and windows as she was going to the garage, but she caught on to me pretty quick.

Anyway - am I in for a trip to the dealer or does anybody have a trick for me to try? I did the reprogramming tricks, but screwed up the throwing of the salt over the shoulder. The thing is so far gone that the car didn't even blow up (tho after replacing another fan and the PS pump, I may find a way to blow the thing up anyway).

Pat

7. Onramp

Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Retired, mostly
    Renton, WA
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    The battery in the key is dead. It isn't easily replaced. The solution is to get a new key. So I called my dealer and was surprised with their response. I have to go to the dealership (not a huge trip, but its half a day back and forth), present my drivers license and registration BEFORE they will take the order for the key. What's up with THAT?

I truly support the notion that they should make sure someone ordering a key is the owner of the car. No problem there. But make a trip before ordering? They are going to check ID and ownership again before releasing the key to me as well when it comes in.

I got a little pushy (ask for a supervisor calmly bro) and got them to let me send a copy of my title and drivers license instead of driving down there, but you'd think they were granting me freedom from slavery!

Anybody know if this is a local policy or are these direct orders from der faterland? Both our local dealers are owned by the same outfit. I'm tempted to see if I can work something out with e-miniparts. THOSE folk are really cool.

8. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Yup that sound like MINI's Standard practice to me. Plus those keys are not cheap.

9. Onramp

Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Retired, mostly
    Renton, WA
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    You are right about that! I tried my favorite online parts supplier and got a $190 quote, and ended up paying $168 with club discount at the local dealer. One of our club members has located a guy that will replace the battery for $50 or $60 (or more if you try to fix it yourself first - he has pictures of the self help results on a "Key wall of shame" on his site). Check out BMW Key Fob Repair Service (copy and paste - can't make the hyperlink button work...). Since I'm down to the non-functioning key, I will send that in for repair when I get the new key.

10. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    If you are handy with a Dremel and soldering iron, the battery can be replaced quite cheaply. I have seen someone describe doing it in another forum. The key head cover is sealed and must be cut open (and glued back together). The rechargeable battery is soldered on the circuit board.

If a BMW dealer is more convenient, a key can also be ordered from there. Ordering in person is not a required policy. I purchased a replacement key from a member on the motoring|underground forum who works in the parts department of a BMW dealer. I faxed registration card and drivers license, and called in a credit card number. The key must be sent FedEx with signature required to the registration address. It was a good price but the FedEx cost ate some of the savings.

11. Onramp

Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Retired, mostly
    Renton, WA
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    I had become quite bitter about the costs of parts and the overall BMW attitude about "proper" drivers replacing their cars more often than most of us do when we have a car we like. The Mini was being prepped for sale. After a bunch of grief and interventions from my local club, I decided to keep the car (I do love it). Not sure whether it is because of my change of heart, or the fact that I just paid for my new key, but the old one is working again today. Go figure.