2nd Gen R56 Cooper S Seafoam?

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by keldro, Jan 10, 2012.

Tags:
  1. keldro

keldro New Member

Dec 28, 2011
    See above!
    Nashville area
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The emmisions light on my wife's 2008 Clubman S came on 2 days ago. Checked the gas cap and it went off for a day and is now back on. It has 68,500 miles. We've owned it for a month. Would Seafoam be something that may help?

2. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: Do you know/can you give us the specific engine code? That code will get you much closer to perhaps solving your riddle. You'd need to have a 'code reader'/a friend who has a code reader/or a Scan Gauge II on your car to get the code though.:Thumbsup:

Jason

3. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    There is a non-issue emissions inspection warning that will come up on the start-up display. It just wants to make sure you have the emissions inspection done. You can reset that yourself. That warning will pop-up on start-up of the car in that center service display and will show the outline of the entire MINI or just the back half and two esses tied together top-to-bottom like this --> §.

If there is a light (not a pop-up on the display) either on the tach or main speedo that would be another issue.

4. keldro

keldro New Member

Dec 28, 2011
    See above!
    Nashville area
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Jason and Redbeard, just got back from the friendly AutoZone Store. They pulled 2 codes for me, P000A and P0304, which information says is a misfire detected -cylinder #4. No info for P000A. Probable causes listed by their machine are spark plug, vacuum leak injector fault or high low fuel pressure.

Redbeard, the light icon is on the speedometer and is a diagram of an engine. As I said the manual refers to a emmisions problem or gas cap.

Any more suggestions? Thanks so much!

5. Jason Montague

Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    #5 Jason Montague, Jan 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
    :cornut: You mentioned that you've owned the car x 1mo. It's an 08 R55 Clubman S with 68kmi. The spark plugs in that car should have been changed at 60kmi. Were they changed? If you don't know but, you bought it from a dealer, call them, they'll know(also ask them whether the TIMING CHAIN TENSIONER OILER has had to be changed or not). If you bought it from an individual, call him, he should know. If the plugs were changed( if not then change them now-proper plug/proper gap/proper torque), then with a torque wrench, ensure that they are tight and at the correct torque(aluminum head.DON'T OVER TIGHTEN). That spec should be in our library. With the spark plugs correct and you've undone/redone the gas filler cap, get the parts house to reset the codes and see whether it happens again.:Thumbsup:

Jason

Addendum-P000A camshaft position slow response Bank A- ensure that your oil is full. Then if it keeps happening(code P000A) on cold starts(cold engine as opposed to cold ambient air temp), you're stuck going to the dealer(if you have warranty) or a Fully Rated MINI Repair Shop. This particular engine(R55/R56,Peugeot French Prince engine) in the time frame of 07-09 had problems with the timing chain tensioner oiler which oft times went out and had to be replaced. If still under warranty, it's free. If not under warranty, then a FULLY RATED MINI REPAIR SHOP is cheaper than a dealer. The site has a list of trustworthy shops that also sponsor our site. Find the one closest to you.

AND GOOD LUCK!

6. czar

czar New Member

Mar 25, 2010
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    As you mention the emissions light went out for a day, when you checked the gas cap, the electro/vacuum breather valve for the gas tank, is a valve attached and located on the inlet manifold, this can cause the symptoms you describe.

Click on this link : RealOEM.com   BMW R55 Cooper S FUEL TANK BREATHER VALVE

And the valve I am talking about is No1 in the image.

7. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    Keldro, I'm going to echo what Jason said. The "slow response" cam is either related to oiling issues, timing tensioner going wonky, or a bad valve-timing controller. Any one requires more than the typical shade tree mechanic to repair.

8. keldro

keldro New Member

Dec 28, 2011
    See above!
    Nashville area
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Went back to place I bought the car. They don't know when plugs were changed but are going to change them. They had to be ordered from their parts supplier and may take a few days. 9/16 12 point plugs (?). After that should I have them clear codes and see what happens?

9. Jason Montague

Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: Yes but, as Redbeard and I have said, the timing chain tensioner oiler could also be going bad. That item is some what easy for a trained professional mechanic/tech to inspect and replace. MINI dealers do it as a matter of routine when requested and especially under the circumstances of your car. Ask them to check it. The owners manual(as I recall) will tell you which spark plugs are best.:Thumbsup:

Jason

10. keldro

keldro New Member

Dec 28, 2011
    See above!
    Nashville area
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just got plugs changed and codes cleared. Drove home about 10 miles and no warnings came on. If there is something wrong other than the spark plugs (like the timing chain tensioner oiler) then the warning should come back on, right? I don't want to do any damage to the car by driving it if there is another problem.

11. Jason Montague

Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut:When my timing chain tensioner oiler wet bad,no lights came on. I, like most R56 people, heard a soft clanging noise(with bonnet up, listen at the passenger side of the engine, at the timing chain cover) during 'cold starts' that would disappear after several minutes. A cold start is the first start after sitting 8-12hrs. It has nothing to due with ambient temp.The drivers that don't take heed of this subtle symptom will have significant timing chain/gear/engine damage. If you're unsure then don't wait. Take it to the dealer to be checked. :Thumbsup: When dealing with a service rep, having ones facts straight and showing friendly insistant concern goes along way.:Thumbsup:

Jason