Interior 1st Gen Seat Belt Rewinder

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by patchelect, Jan 27, 2014.

1. patchelect

patchelect New Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Currently still working in electric motors sales a
    Patchogue, NY/Dalton Ma
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Has anyone devised a decent method of getting the seal belt rewinder to work properly? My car came with the drivers side stops and plastic bits missing and was apparent to me that the reason was because the belt won't rewind without lots of coaxing and the belt was getting caught in the door when it was closed. Is it something that can be lubed or am I up against a bigger problem. I only got the car at the end of October, and between some necessary repair work and winter weather I haven't tried to get a look see at reaching the mechanism.

2. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    You could try pulling / extending the belt out all the way to see if it got twisted somehow causing it to not recoil properly. I have not had any problems with my 05 seat belts.

3. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    #3 BlimeyCabrio, Jan 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
    The cabrio belts can be a bit weak to retract even when not twisted.
    But they can also get a half twist in them and be much worse.
    If twisted, you just have to work it in and out until you can work the twist out of the housing slot.

4. Friskie

Friskie Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Highly motivated retiree
    In the here and now, for now.
    Ratings:
    +1,339 / 0 / -0
    The return spring on mine is weak so I just jiggle the strap as it works it's way back in. My co-pilot, on the other hand, doesn't pay attention and the strap gets shut in the door once in a while and it takes her a couple of tries to get herself buckled in. I said something about it...once...and got 'The Look'.