Interior 2nd Gen Most liked posts in thread: Seat belts or variations for track usage

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    From all I've read there is no R56 application as of yet.

Kappashere does make a harness bar for the R56 and does offer a harness for that bar...

Thats about all that is on the market at this time from what I can see.

2. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    I personally don't care for the CG lock as it does nothing to keep my upper body in place and I still found myself "hanging" on to the wheel hard.

I think the only reason Schroth has been slow on getting their harness available is that the testing of the seat back has been delayed. If it were me and I wanted something for the occasional track day use ONLY (no use on the street) I would go ahead and get the Quick-fit harness and mod the buckle.

3. btwdriver

btwdriver New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Brey-Krause also makes a harness bar, pretty sure it is compatible with the R56. Their site is here: Brey-Krause R-1305 Harness Mount Bar for MINI

I have also called them about some custom fit items in the past and the have been extremely helpful.

4. SK8BRD

SK8BRD New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Unfortunately the R-1305 is for the R-53. Kappasphere has one for the R-56.

5. btwdriver

btwdriver New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    For the price of that plus installation, you can have a custom 4 point roll bar put in.

6. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Used to work making computers run fast!
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    ^^^^ Very true. Another thing is I cannot get over is the name of the unit. :D

It does look like a quality piece, but with the suggested belts added to the cost, you are in custom cost range.

I really don't want a permanent roll bar or a removable bar, not for lapping days. If I buy an earlier 05 or 03 for a dedicated race MINI, then a bar would be a necessary option.

Thanks for the responses, I can see where the CG would not provide all that is needed.

Does anyone have a pointer to the mod needed on the Scroth Quickfit harness, where you need to trim?

Thanks, Don

7. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    From what I can gather the mod only removes a small bit of the plastic cover on the male part of the belt so it can get go far enough into the female part to click. It doesn't change the actual buckle.

8. terryg

terryg New Member

May 20, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, the mod on the buckle takes about 5 seconds with a Dremel. You just need to carve away a tiny sliver of plastic from the right male lap fastener. It's so small that I wouldn't be surprised at all if some people didn't even need to remove it.

9. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    Anyone have a picture of a modded buckle and the normal buckle? Sound like a trivial mod.

Perhaps I will jump for the 4 point and see what needs to be done. :idea:

Thanks.... More options?

10. terryg

terryg New Member

May 20, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Here's a close-up picture of the modded buckle. You only have to remove the tiniest amount of plastic to get it to clear the lip on the female belt point.

[​IMG]

I guess I need to buff the edges smooth :D

11. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    Looks like you nibbled off about 1/8 inch or less. Right?

Yes, smooth would be better. Do you run a passenger Schroth too?

Don

12. terryg

terryg New Member

May 20, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'd say it was right around 1/8".

I used a cutting disk on the Dremel, but a sanding disk would have been plenty, and would have left a nicer finish.

I use a CG-lock for the passenger side for now, but will add a harness if we end up keeping both MINIs, and will move my passenger-side CG-lock to the other MINI.

13. btwdriver

btwdriver New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I would say that I took off more like a 1/4", and I used a sanding disc, you can barely tell it was ever there. In any case it is just a cosmetic change and does not affect any of the metal.

I run a passenger harness and it's the same process.

14. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    Thank both of you, I will see what goes over the next couple of weeks. If I did not have stuff going this week. Our local track HPR has open lapping this Thursday and Friday.

$90 per half day or $150 per full day. I go for the 1/2 days. :ihih:

15. roach13

roach13 New Member

May 14, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Stick with stock. Remember the guy killed in CA last year with 4 point belts. Stick with stock unless your going to put in a 5 or 6 point setup correctly.

Don't do half assed sh** for the track.

16. paulsminis

paulsminis New Member

May 5, 2009
    Contractor to the Government
    Dayton, Ohio area
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I seriously rolled my R53 after a brake failure at Gingerman in June 2007. Car was totalled. My instructor and I walked away. 4-point Schroths held us both in place quite nicely. I won't track without them now! I did the modification on the belts (only had to do it on one belt -- I think the passenger side) for my replacement R56. I have no plans to crash test these, AND I think they will work just as well if I do have another failure.

I don't believe that both of us would have been anywhere as near as safe with stock belts. Of course I don't have proof.

Paul

17. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Has anyone seen or posted what the final outcome of the investigation on this unfortunate event? That MINI was quite mangled, quite possibly to the point where nothing short of a full cage and 6pt harness would have saved that individual.

I think damning the 4pt harness without any proof is very harsh.

18. roach13

roach13 New Member

May 14, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    PCA wouldn't let you use them in there events.

19. roach13

roach13 New Member

May 14, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    He slipped down belts came off. Was thrown out the window and crushed when the car went over.

You use um if you like not me.

20. roach13

roach13 New Member

May 14, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0