Interior 2nd Gen Seat belts or variations for track usage

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by old81, May 19, 2009.

1. roach13

roach13 New Member

May 14, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    #22 Nathan, Jun 2, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2009
    That is not entirely true.

1st off it does depend on the region.

See Page 7, 8 here http://www.lsrpca.com/linked_docs/de/Multi%20Region%20DE%20Handbook.pdf

For those not wanting to go to the doc...

Again, research or ask questions before stating what you think is fact.

PCA did originally say no to all 4pt harnesses and that was because the Porsche seats do not have the same type of headrest a MINI has and there is nothing to guide the belts. Hence they could slip off the shoulder in the event of an incident. Since their original ruling they have gone back and revised this to include the belts as mentioned above.

Now in the strict sense the 02-06 Schroth Quick Fit modified to fit the 07+ MINI would not be legal as they are not tested or approved for the vehicle.

3. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Research is a wonderful thing........thanks for clearing up his posts Nathan.

4. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Used to work making computers run fast!
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    As the OP, I think you all make good points. :smile5:

Good facts, too. :cornut:

I will continue to look for a safe solution, I feel the Schroth will be better than the CG lock.

I need to check with our local track manager and see what they allow.

5. roach13

roach13 New Member

May 14, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Question for you Nate, what do you use? I love doing track days but the more I do the more I realize that it's not if your going to go crash it's when are you going to crash. I see far too many people not taking safety seriously enough, this is a hobby full of danger and we just do not need to be cutting any corners. The time you have your big off might just be the next time you're on track.

6. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    As to my own track days experiences..........I don't use the track days to push my car to the absolute limits of it's performance envelope. I use it as an excuse to go faster than I can on the street. Does this mean I am playing as the moving chicane......no. But I also don't put myself in the position of having to drive over my head. Thus I am completely comfortable in my decision to use the Schroth while on track. Will it save me from all possible outcomes on the track.......certainly not. But that is the chance we take whenever we take to the track for whatever reason and with whatever equipment. We still lose professional drivers all the time from accidents on the track and they have all of the safety gear available to them for protection.

This is simply a good alternative to the stock belts.

7. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    In the MINI I started with the OEM seat belts, moved to the Schroth Quick-Fit and now have a TeamTech 6pt harness.

Along the way I added proper seats, a roll hoop and one of those things that connects from the bar to the back of the seat.

With seatbealts, never had an off, didn't push myself or the car that hard.

With Quick-Fit, never had an off, still didn't push as much.

Now with the harness I am little more gonzo in certain areas of known tracks and have been off looking for that last little bit. Surprisingly enough most of those offs have come with an instructor sitting to my right and them pushing me a bit more than I would normally if alone.

Lets face it, this is dangerous. We do all we can within our means to mitigate the danger. My point in my posts is that blanket statements such as "PCA does not allow" only serve to misinform. We do want everyone to have fun, drive within their skill level and go home with only worn brake pads and tires along with a sense of satisfaction from a day of fun.

To put the way I drive into perspective, I'd push it lot more going into 10A at Road Atlanta then I would diving into 12. Only for the simple fact that 10A has the big gravel trap and 12 has that imposing, seemingly mile high, concrete wall.

Would I shave a bit of plastic off my Quick Fit to make it work on my theoretical R56? I don't know, I'd say probably, but I'd also drive at 8/10ths the same places I go 10/10ths now. For you see, compared to others I have really tiny danglies when it comes to this stuff and I hate pain...

8. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Used to work making computers run fast!
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    Well said, good questions.

As my R56 is may fun daily driver and not a dedicated race MINI, I will go with the 8/10s rule. :aureola:

Only where I am comfortable and around folks I am comfortable. :)

This has been informative and educational. Now I have to get on track. :D

9. SK8BRD

SK8BRD New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    In Kilgore at the East Texas Police Academy (ETPA) Practical Driver Improvement (PDI) course I experimented with pushing the seat two notches back, pulling up on the shoulder belt then snapping it to enage the inertial reel. Then I'd hold it in my teeth while rolling the seat forward. That got it quite tight, and was better than the CG lock. But then again I've got a wife and three kids at home, so I've never had an off.

10. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0

Well said. :D

11. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    I used to do this im my old car....worked great. Just don't find it as easy to do in the MINI. The belts kept coming loose.