1st Gen R53 Cooper S Second best coolant expansion tank?

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by rivercityRN, May 16, 2015.

1. caseydog

caseydog Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    #21 caseydog, May 31, 2015
    Last edited: May 31, 2015
    Seriously? I am self employed, so I "respect" a man getting as much as he can for his products and services. I have no reason to beleive that your products and services are not top shelf. All I did was question whether a coolant tank is worth 200 bucks.

Some people are fine with my prices, and others aren't. I deal with that. I am grateful for the opportunity to present a quote for my services, and if they think it is too high, I take it like a man, and move on. Pull the corn cob out, and deal with the fact that some people will gladly pay 200 bucks for a coolant tank, and some people won't.

CD

2. spiderknight

spiderknight New Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Why not the Canton tank? It's what I run and have had it for years and years.

3. ColinGreene

ColinGreene Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

May 15, 2009
    Male
    Orange county Ca
    Ratings:
    +293 / 0 / -0
    I guess the answer is its worth it to some people but clearly not to you?
    As far as the canton tank? Dunno. They look just like the RMW ones, and thats well suspicious.

4. Goldsmithy

Goldsmithy MINI Alliance Ambassador
    Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Male
    TCB
    Main Street in the land of Oz
    Ratings:
    +1,151 / 0 / -0
    You don't always get what you pay for...BUT you always pay for what you get. Buy quality (Colin or RMW) and you will be OK

5. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Buy from Colin or Jan, and support MINI vendors who are dedicated to the MINI crowd. Or buy Canton and support a generic company who copied someone else's work and slapped their label on it. Choice is yours, but if you do the latter don't be surprised someday if their are no MINI vendors creating new products.

6. Batrugger

Batrugger New Member

May 13, 2009
    Soldier
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    Colin and Jan are great people and I will always look to them first when it comes to MINI parts, tuning, and advice. Got Jan's head and tune in 07 and have been working with him since then and just recently finished up our RMW engine install, but truthfully I bought a Canton tank back in 06-07 and RMW wasn't making them until just a couple of years ago. If I was looking for one now I would go with Colin or RMW because they make quality parts and always are there to help me if needed.

7. Tata Steva

Tata Steva MINI of the Month - September 2010

May 30, 2010
    DOP/stock Photography
    TO
    Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Looking to find out "level of modification" needed to mount Greene tank.... Before I decide what to get. Any chances a proper "instal manual" available somewhere?
    I have no problem supporting True MINI people, but little help before I pay $175 please?

8. Goldsmithy

Goldsmithy MINI Alliance Ambassador
    Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Male
    TCB
    Main Street in the land of Oz
    Ratings:
    +1,151 / 0 / -0
    I am going to replace my expansion tank. I have been looking around for a while and have decided to go with a tank from Colin. Although there are many tanks out there that will perform adequately, Colin's come with something no other manf (except RMW) supplies---Colin. I was able to get a tank the way "I" needed it, not just 'off the shelf'. That's customer service and worth every penny.

9. ColinGreene

May 15, 2009
    Male
    Orange county Ca
    Ratings:
    +293 / 0 / -0
    Ok so lets cover this a bit better, i know its my fault that I was lacking in shiny pictures!

heres how i did this.

[​IMG]

I pull the frame out of the car, drill some holes from the back and use a furniture fastener from the back, I include those with the tank so you can put the fastener though the frame and the frame will still fit flush to the firewall.
    Now, you don't have to do it this way, thats just how i decided to do that.
    I also found out that you dont need 4 mounting points the top two will do and the lower rings for mounting the factory tank are just fine, Though, i went over board bent those out of the way and put the 4 bolts in.
    The only real modification that needs to take place is removing the tab with the threaded rod for the nut on the top of the factory tank.
    easily done with a hack saw a file and some spray paint to prevent rust.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Tata Steva

May 30, 2010
    DOP/stock Photography
    TO
    Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Colin, how do you monitor level of coolant in your tank? Can you do one in "chilli red"?

11. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Just like you do with other none plastic tanks. When they are cool you open then and look inside and check that they are 1/2 full. It's just that easy and I have been doing it that way for 3 or 4 years now.

12. ColinGreene

May 15, 2009
    Male
    Orange county Ca
    Ratings:
    +293 / 0 / -0
    Like dave said, i just open it and look.
    Its not like i could ever see though the factory plastic tank anyway.

i pm'ed you back about the finish stuff.

13. Tata Steva

May 30, 2010
    DOP/stock Photography
    TO
    Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Thanks!
    I actually found the way to see exactly the level on shitty OEM tank by shining the handheld led lamp on one side and reading the level on the other... But, I will go for aftermarket one.

14. rivercityRN

rivercityRN New Member

Oct 15, 2013
    RN
    Chattanooga, TN
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    I am not a "car guy" but I installed Colin's tank in an hour after a brief conversation with him on the phone. You will need a hacksaw, 1/4" drill bit, 7/16 and 10mm wrenches as well as something to cut 1 1/2" off the bottom hose as it will fold/kink in the new location.

15. minsanity

minsanity Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +378 / 0 / -0
    I would've gotten this tank had I not gotten the Canton(which works) long ago. My sketchy memory seems to point to Canton coming out ahead of Jan's, too.
    I use a drinking straw as dipstick. Dip, cover the top end, lift & read level.:)