Pre Migration Security Issue :: Potential Phishing Vector

Discussion in 'Announcements, How do I, Feedback' started by Nathan, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    We have been recently advised of an indirect, low risk phishing vector that could allow a malicious user to restructure vBulletin URL(s) (the software used for this site) in a fairly obvious attempt to trick an unsuspecting user into inputting their user account information on a site other than the original destination.

It has been identified this as a low-priority phishing vector in all versions of vBulletin, including vBulletin 3 and 4. At this time we believe that the risk is indirect and at best minimal however I wanted to make you aware.

Generic example of the Phishing Attempt:
    • A fake thread inviting others to reset their passwords using the provided link is created. Please Note: M/A management will NOT create a thread requiring members to reset a password.
    • Malicious User edits the link to append an incorrect “last location†to url therefore redirecting traffic outside the site after the form successfully/correctly submits on the original site.
    • For example: http://motoringalliance.com/forums/login...www.google.com <-DO NOT FOLLOW, goes no place.
    • Instead of Google.com in this example the user would go to a fake site where they could potentially be tricked into submitting real information.

Of course we do watch for things such as this and remove them as soon as found. If you find a post that asks you to reset a password please report it ASAP and it will be removed.

Thanks

2. Norm03s

Norm03s New Member

May 5, 2009
    Working at being retired.
    Somewhere in Sykesville. Md.
    Ratings:
    +534 / 0 / -0
    10-4, will do.

3. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter