2nd Gen R56 Cooper S Service Interval Mileage: rapid countdown.

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by pmsummer, Mar 9, 2014.

1. pmsummer

pmsummer Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2012
    Semi-retired planner
    Jack Coffee Hays County, The Republic of Texas
    Ratings:
    +400 / 0 / -0
    #1 pmsummer, Mar 9, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
    Recently had the oil and brake fluid changed at my dealership on my 2009 R55 (with 44K mileage), as well as having a JCW Tuning Kit installed (as long as the dealer keeps doing oil/filter changes/disposal with a quick diagnostic inspection for $70, I'll keep letting them).

When I picked the car up, I was surprised to see the Service Interval reading "7000 Miles To Next Service". It also gave me a date six months out. Because that's my normal oil change interval (and has been with this dealer for the last two years, I thought maybe the dealership had adjusted it based upon experience (or new recommendations).

But the startup "countdown" was rapid, roughly 10:1 to actual miles traveled. After a month, and about 800 miles of travel, the countdown said "120 miles" the other morning.

Two miles later, the Brake Service Light came on, even though the dealership checked rear pads at the oil change and they showed 5.5 mm pad depth (3 mm being the point that the wear sensor usually kicks in). New front pads and rotors were installed 3000 miles ago.

Visual inspection of the rear pads (outer) shows plenty of pad left, but I haven't looked at the rear inner pads yet (or the sensor) for various reasons having to do with cold/wet weather and work schedule.

Odd coincidence, or does the service interval countdown also trigger the brake check light independent of the brake wear sensor? Anyone experience anything similar?

Because I seem to notice (paranoia does grow owning a MINI) that the fuel gauge has gone back to its old exponential reading that we finally corrected with anew sender and a flash just prior to the car's warranty ending (2+ gallons used before the first fuel bar goes out, with 6 gallons gone at 3 bars, and when the Fuel Low warning comes on ["60 Miles"], there's about half a gallon of fuel left!), I suspect that the older JCW ECU update corrupted the car's system.

2. Angib

Angib New Member

Nov 25, 2009
    (Old) England
    Ratings:
    +425 / 0 / -0
    The service indicator counts down to the soonest service action required and you need to go into the service menu via the stalk button to find out which is the soonest. The indicator can get a bit random when it has to choose between time and distance to work out which is the 'soonest'. Using the stalk button will allow you to see remaining miles/time separately in the following sequence:
    - engine oil
    - front brakes
    - rear brakes
    - vehicle check (car on lift symbol)
    - road-worthiness/statutory check (sorta S symbol)
    - brake fluid

It may be that the dealer did not rest the brake fluid when they changed it - or something else may be triggering the service indicator.

3. pmsummer

pmsummer Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2012
    Semi-retired planner
    Jack Coffee Hays County, The Republic of Texas
    Ratings:
    +400 / 0 / -0
    But it's the 7000 miles in less than 700 traveled that makes me highly suspicious of a program flaw... plus the BRAKE light in the tach came on when it hit zero (and the brakes are fine) when the car-on-lift lit up in the INFO panel.

I'll find out soon, once I coordinate schedules to get the car into the dealer.