Shame on the Dragon

Discussion in 'MINIs on the Dragon 9 (April 27 - May 1, 2011)' started by Mol, May 4, 2011.

Tags:
  1. INIMINI

INIMINI New Member

Apr 22, 2010
    Logistics & Administration
    Jersey City
    Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    I agree with you...my point wasn't about just exhausts...it was about breaking laws and pointing fingers at other people...

How can someone point fingers at other people...when they...themselves break the same laws...or any law.

2. INIMINI

INIMINI New Member

Apr 22, 2010
    Jersey City
    Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    You can always pass your concerns to the various motoring clubs...then they can bring it up at their meetings (safety brief).

3. putterfarm

putterfarm New Member

May 18, 2009
    Bum.
    Pittsfield, Pa.
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    There are fast good drivers, moderate drivers , beginners, ect. that stay between the lines. Then there are drivers who think the Dragon and other roads are race tracks that do not obey the rules. But the ones that really Piss me off are the ones that race around Fontana Village trying to show off, they're just plain idiots :mad5:

As for exhaust, mine is "tuned" and I drive at revs that keep the tone down until I'm out on a run, away from the crowds.

People need to know their cars and be aware of what's going on around them, but some are just plain stupid :mad2:

Mark

ps, I do think a drivers meeting or handout through registration would be a good idea:Thumbsup:

4. kgdblu

kgdblu Active Member

May 7, 2009
    living
    Severna Park MD
    Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    While I agree education is key, it seems to me that it's not working.
    2 Newbie Orientations were held and at least one that I saw, given the size of the MOTD group, were poorly attended.
    A How To Drive The Dragon video was posted by Barry on the MOTD site.
    Numerous posts about safe driving were posted here and on NAM.
    Announcement made by Barry at the Welcome Dinner about safe driving.

So, education efforts were made and obviously completely ignored by some.
    I'm not thrilled at having to do a wall of shame for next year, but if that's the only way to expose the few idiots who are destroying a 9 year MOTD reputation, then I'm all for it. Pictures, names, license plates...what ever it takes.
    I am a 9 year veteran and I WILL NOT have MOTD banned from Fontana because a few idiots insist on behaving as such. If public exposure of bad driving and naming names is what we have to do to police our group, then sadly, that is the route that MUST be taken.

5. dawnmac72

dawnmac72 New Member

Jun 17, 2010
    Mortgage Business
    Murfreesboro, TN area
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I worked registration this year and plan to again next year, too. I will make a point of reminding drivers as they come through the line to motor safely and stay on their own side of the road. Maybe some signs at the registration table. . .or something we can put up at all the exits. . .something big and bold that won't be missed by even the most oblivious of drivers.

6. kgdblu

kgdblu Active Member

May 7, 2009
    living
    Severna Park MD
    Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    Good idea Dawn...the more visible reminders of driving safety, the better!

7. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I spoke to Barry this morning and have some interesting data.

I realize that stats can be skewed to say what ever you want but it was really only a dozen or so people that have been identified as the big culprits. Maybe 2% of all the MINIs were the issue. Yes, that ~2% made us all look bad and ~2% is ~2% to many.

There are already plans in the works for a multi-pronged approach for next year. We are looking into banners for the exits and various points around the village. Clings for all to put on their cars so it seen again and again and again. Info in the swag bags and being more vocal online too.

Once we have the theme in place and have some graphics we'll start soliciting sites to putting up banners as PSA's. You can rest assured that M/A will be involved in helping to get the word out.

8. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    It's all a matter of degrees. Have I gone over the speed limit....yes BUT it was in a safe manner and no one was put in danger. This is an entirely different situation. There have been a 2 drivers in our local club that have been asked not to attend any more runs until they can get themselves under control. Drastic....yes, but necessary to allow the club to continue offering runs w/o the threat of police attendance.

9. RllyDrvrIX

RllyDrvrIX New Member

Oct 22, 2010
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    I want to help. I'm planning that next year is my and my wife's first (of many) years at MOTD and want to do what we can to ensure safety and fun for everyone.

Please PM or email me anything I can do.

Cheers!

10. Big Daddy

Big Daddy New Member

May 5, 2009
    Computer geek
    Windsor, Ontario
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I don't think that anyone on this forum is a perfect driver, tho many of us may think we are. We are all human and that means we are all fallible. Case in point... my last visit to MOTD was in 2008. I had been driving for over 40 years, accident-free, and considered myself to be a good driver. I went out for a night run with a friend as passenger, on my year-old summer performance tires, in 32 degree weather. I wasn't driving fast or pushing my limits, but as we passed the dam on the way down from Fontana, on the second left-hand curve, my car got sideways and this was the result...

[​IMG]

I had taken this corner many times at a much faster pace but was obviously driving too fast for the conditions. No one was injured (except my poor MINI) and it spent the rest of the week in front of the Detroit Tuned tent as a reminder to all of what can quickly happen when you lose focus for an instant. A piece of my MINI still hangs on the Tree of Shame.

My point is...I can definitely, with no feeling of hypocrisy, point my finger at the aforementioned lane-crossers and say, "Shame on you!". I made a mistake and have paid for it, financially and emotionally, but the pain would have been multiplied tremendously if I had injured or killed someone because of my own stupidity.

11. Squirlz

Squirlz New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    You've missed the point. This isn't about illegal activity per se, it's about dangerous driving.

12. INIMINI

INIMINI New Member

Apr 22, 2010
    Jersey City
    Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    My point is that...unless you are "Jesus"...you shouldn't be pointing anyone out or humiliating anybody...

Do what we do in the military...Safety Stand Down...We will do a mandatory safety training before we start driving.

13. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    What if on registration for next years MOTD: there was a pledge page that has to be read and agreed to before a persons registration is accepted... A simple pledge to stay in your lane....

14. Mol

Mol New Member

May 5, 2009
    self employed
    In front of the computer
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    So you should not point out a person who ran someone else off the road, not because she was driving beyond her means, or a bit out of control, but because she was making tragically bad driving choices, that were endangering her and other drivers LIVES on a public road?

Also, for the record... this person was not a nubie, so nubie training would have made no different to her actions..

15. INIMINI

INIMINI New Member

Apr 22, 2010
    Jersey City
    Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    Give everybody the safety training every year before they drive and not just the new people on the first day.

"Before we start driving...we have a mandatory safety training and issues to go over that needs to be covered."

16. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    And just like the military.........if you muck it up you will be humiliated by your fellow troops.

17. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    You are confusing "Military" with "Civilian". That kind of stuff just will not work, nor can it be done outside the military. Two entirely different worlds.

Jim

18. INIMINI

INIMINI New Member

Apr 22, 2010
    Jersey City
    Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    You without any sin...have never ran a red light, speeding, cutting people off, cross the double yellow lines, or broke any other motoring laws...

19. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    This was a very bad thing to have happen, it is not excusable and we are clearly planning to do something to prevent it, as we should. I do have to ask though, does Killboy come down this hard on all the other groups, who do the same thing and is not just singling out MINI's? If so, then good for him and he is doing a real service to his community. If not well.........

Jim

20. INIMINI

INIMINI New Member

Apr 22, 2010
    Jersey City
    Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    No...I wouldn't point that person out...I would talk to that person in person or in a group (club) setting...as a friend or a person concerned.