Shift knob patina

Discussion in 'MINI' started by nabeshin, Dec 29, 2009.

Tags:
  1. nabeshin

nabeshin New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Lincoln, NE
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    When my car was new, the black leather shift knob was replaced with a Lapis blue one. Seven years on, I still have the original knob in mint condition with the blue one on the car. The shift pattern on the knob has developed a yellowed tint, and the blue is coming off the leather. Some might look at this and say, gross, it is years of hand slime. I see it as a beautiful patina, like a set of old billiard balls, gracefully yellowed over time. I do regularly clean the shift knob and steering wheel, so they aren't dirty.

I don't have any pictures right now, but the comparison is quite dramatic.

Anyone else love this long term effect?

2. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    I have no ill effects on my LY knob, but I get my knob polished all the time. :D

3. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    My knob has a Dragon on it.

Mark

4. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Yes, actually. The knob on my '03 is the original and it also has a slight yellowing and patina.....my Lapis blus shift boot still looks new tho....

5. Sideways

Sideways New Member

May 12, 2009
    Motorer and footwear Extrodinaire!
    Above the Border^^^
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    My original knob started to leave little chrome flecks in my hand. This is because I wear a pretty hefty college ring and it just so happened to hit the the lip of chrome every time i went to shift. Eventually I switched to an aftermarket CF knob...then to the OEM JCW CF shift knob that a buddy gave me after he wrote off his car...
    I don't think I have had a shift knob long enough to experience this patina...