Engine Drivetrain 1st Gen Cooper Shifter feel

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by JeremyBMW, Oct 7, 2015.

Tags:
  1. JeremyBMW

JeremyBMW New Member

Oct 5, 2015
    CT
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I've test driven two R50s now. The first was a 2006, the second was a 2005. Similar miles: 115k and 128k respectively. The 2005 was a much better car in terms of overall condition, but one thing that stuck out at me was the shift mechanism. I don't recall having any particular issues finding gears in the 2006, but the 2005 shifter felt "vague" somehow.

It's tough to describe, but I had trouble finding the third gear gate when shifting from 2nd to 3rd and from 4th to 3rd on multiple occasions. I also was never completely positive I had it in 1st. I tried starting off in 3rd once or twice by mistake. I refused to even try downshifting 3rd to 2nd because I had no confidence in it. Gears just seemed plain difficult to locate. I'm used to rwd cars with shift levers rather than cables. If this were a Getrag in a BMW I'd suspect that the detents needed servicing. Is this a sign that the cable shift parts need to be replaced or might it be something more ominous?

The rest of the car seemed fine, quite nice really. Original clutch, but it didn't shudder and grabbed just fine. I'm having trouble convincing the current owner to bring it someplace for a PPI (no place real close to her, she's been using a regular mechanic), but if I can get an answer on the transmission I'll feel a lot better about moving forward with this car.

Thanks.

2. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    Welcome to M/A! I'm guessing your R50s are stick shifts, so I cannot help you there. If they are CVTs, they do not begin to be true automatics until 2007, I think. The CVT is a real slushy transmission. I should know, as I have an R50 with one. However, I also have 2 2006 R53 automatics...one a bone stock automatic and the other modded for track and twisty driving. Both of the R53 automatics shift well.

It might help if you could tell us where you are located, as there may be a member who can give you some mechanical advice.

3. vetsvette

vetsvette MINI Alliance Ambassador

Nov 9, 2013
    South Central Virginia
    Ratings:
    +1,937 / 0 / -0
    Sounds like you've got some slop in the cables.

4. JeremyBMW

JeremyBMW New Member

Oct 5, 2015
    CT
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Yes, manual gearboxes.

So replacing the shifter cables will tighten things up a bit?

5. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    The $40 short shifter extension can help. Also the bushings in the shifter linkage could be warn or just sloppy. I made some from self lubrication brass and it improved the feel. If someone has a lathe they could make some up. I'll look for my specs if any one is interested.

6. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
  7. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, sounds like something is off there. I'm still driving my '02 MC w/ manual and I've never experienced anything like that. Just the opposite, it's even hard to skip a gear (up or down) because it always wants to go smoothly to the next and I have to work on any non-sequential transition.

Wait, my '02 has a Midlands box. That '05 has a Getrag, right? If so, my experience means little. Still sounds screwy, though, listen these other guys.

8. JeremyBMW

JeremyBMW New Member

Oct 5, 2015
    CT
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, guys. Seller refused to allow a PPI by anyone other than her own mechanic, so I passed. Going to look at another one today.

9. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    I don't blame you! If there is nothing to hide why not let you take it for a pre-buy?

10. RallyMini370

RallyMini370 Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Engineer
    Central America
    Ratings:
    +1,587 / 0 / -0
    Yes Steve your MC is the Midlands. Mini went German after July 04. Most likely the gear shift base is loose or slop at either end of the cables.

Look for a July 04 onwards for the Ford type gearbox. Good luck hunting.