Pre Migration Show off your garage Showcase Data Model discussion

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Nathan, Sep 12, 2009.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    From a thread where a member showed how they customized their Garage came the seed of creating a showcase such as we have for Badges, Wheels and vehicles to show off individual physical garages. The first step is determining what data we want to collect. From there it is a fairly simple process of creating the form where this data is collected.

I have a few ideas but as I am in the oh so cluttered 2 car garage owner that can barely fit a MINI I'll need some help here.

Some thoughts

Garage Size (dropdown list - 1 Car, 2 Car, 3 Car etc) To what end?

Cabinetry

Lighting

Design Aspects

Flooring

What else do we want to add...

Oh, and what to name this as we already have virtual garages called Garage.

2. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    You can call it Mini Corral. Under cabinet idea things like race equipment/tire storage would be interesting. Tool boxes, etc.

3. nabeshin

nabeshin New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Lincoln, NE
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    This seems like the appropriate place for this. In another thread you said:

But I think that the rotating display of garages would be better seen on the main forum page. I assume that most are like me and have only the 'forum' section of MA as a favorites link, and never go to the 'home page.' Putting the display on the forum page would allow someone browsing the forum to see and visit various garages.

Also, is there a hit counter for the garage? I didn't notice one.

4. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Interesting suggestions.

There is no hit counter on the Garage at this time, possibly in the 1.2 version we are currently working on. Possible a comments area as well.

On the test site I have for M/A I mocked up 2 versions of your idea.

What worries me is the space consumed expcially for people visiting the site on a smaller laptop or mobile device.

Please take a look at these and comment.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. istara

istara New Member

May 21, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Maybe just show one random garage and have it over in the left column? (Such as, below the "main menu" and above the "recent threads"?) With how frequently forum pages are changed/refreshed, I would think the random garage would change enough on the left to not need to see 4 of them every time.

6. nabeshin

nabeshin New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Lincoln, NE
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Along the left would be cool. Perhaps on every forum page, maybe not in threads.

7. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    This will take some experimentation as I'll need to play with the code to be able to have it in there twice. once for the home page and again for the left side on the interior pages.

8. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Ok, that was a easier than I thought....

How do we like this version.

[​IMG]

9. nabeshin

nabeshin New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Lincoln, NE
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    That looks pretty sweet. Chalk this (idea of random garage photos on main forum page) up as the second sweeping change I brought to MA, next to the 'number of threads displayed under a forum heading.'

10. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    OK, change made to live site.

11. Deviant

Deviant Banned

Apr 23, 2009
    Student
    Southern IL
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Very cool, I like that you even called it "Random Garage".

12. nabeshin

nabeshin New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Lincoln, NE
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I saw my garage in the random spot for the first time.

Behold!
    Untitled-2.jpg

I know it is random and everyone has probably seen it or their cars before, but I thought this was cool.

13. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Garage has just been updated to the latest version. That Random Garage Block has been changed to Garage of the Day and every day it will pick a new random Garage that will display there for 24 hours.

14. nabeshin

nabeshin New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Lincoln, NE
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Curious as to why it was changed like that. It could be months before my garage is seen again.

15. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    My day job is writing products for use on vB based sites and we just completed DTO Garage Plus 1.2.0 today. Before we release it to our clients I'm running it for a few days as the final testing on live site. The Garage of the Day/Week/Month functions are new to this version. Just want to be sure it works for a few days before going back to the Random Garage display.

We also added the function to hide Garages that lack a main image. Check out how much nicer the Browse functions are now.

Along with those new functions the ability for the admin staff to edit or delete a Garage has been added. For this site it will allow me to clean and standardize the search results some. We've had a lot of similar entries for the same things. Chile Red will be edited to Chili Red and things like that.

All these new items came from member suggestions on this site and those of our clients. We like to know what you want and try and implement these ideas. So please keep the suggestions coming.