Sim racing: PC, PS3, XBox, Wii

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by goaljnky, Sep 2, 2010.

1. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Level 20. I stayed up a few nights. Hehe. In the middle of doing the S license. Some of the nicer rides I got:

Toyota WRC - beast
    Loeb's Renault WRC - bigger beast
    62 Buick special - hot rod beast
    Renault Cleo 401 hp - hatch beast
    '05 Mini 286 hp - I had to do it
    Ferrari California - won it
    Enzo - 750 hp and needs a suspension
    M/B SLS- got it as a bonus with a preorder. Beats anything I've encountered so far.

Various lambos, prototypes, etc. Drove a 500 hp R32 SEMA VW last night that was a blast.

2. am0eba

am0eba New Member

Dec 16, 2009
    SoCal - LA County
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    #42 am0eba, Dec 8, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
    My PSN ID is am0ebah (with an "h" at the end and a numeral ZERO in the middle) b/c I apparently signed up a long time ago to whatever the PS2 "insider's" club was, and that automatically got assigned to PSN when I got a PS3...

Anyway, I'm in the middle of Level 19 on A-Spec, and I think Level 4 on B-Spec, which I hate, but seems like the way to get some unusual cars...

Like the Mazda Furai Concept, which is a monster!

Jerry loaned me a really nice VW Lupo Cup car so I could complete the A-Spec Pro series Lupo Challenge - I was checking the UCD (Used Car Dealer) every three game days to make sure I didn't miss one if it showed up... Never did. After Jerry loaned me his, I won a Lupo, and in the few hours I played since early last night, I've seen THREE Lupo's in the UCD! I called it "ornery" programming in a Facebook post last night, and that's exactly what it is.

I think I've completed my IC license level (bronzes and silvers), but I'm not positive... I'm usually pretty beat when I get a chance to "drive" lately, so I don't enjoy getting frustrated with those.

Last couple of sessions, I've been "grinding" for credits on the Pro Series British Lightweight Challenge - mostly London - with a used Lotus Elise that I fixed up pretty nice... The London course is only about 3 minutes with this car, and yields > $25,000 credits each time. I'm pretty smooth with this car and circuit now...

I too received the Stealth Mercedes SLS AMG for pre-ordering, and indeed it is a VERY useful car.

I also got the five Chrome-Line cars for buying the Collector's Edition of the game, and they are fine, but not amazing. (Still haven't put any miles on any but the BMW and the Lambo.)

First car I really beefed up was the '05 MCS. Got a nice yellow paint chip from somewhere, that's fairly close to Liquid Yellow, I think mine is somewhere right around 275 HP, and it feels about right. It's a blast on the London streets course as well. If only it were a convertible...

[​IMG]

Second car I worked on was the VW Bus. I think I have THE most tricked-out microbus there is, and it's still s...l...o...w... But tons of fun. Here it is on the Corkscrew:

[​IMG]

..and here it is in Photo Mode:

[​IMG]

I also admit to spoofing the system a bit, and signing up a family member with an early December birth date in the year 1969, and was awarded a Gulf GT40 racecar for my efforts! Could NOT have been sweeter. Use the other account to test car gifting, and to stock up on my favorite paint chips.

Also won a very balanced 1983 Honda Civic MUGEN racecar, which has been very fun and worthwhile to drive, and I picked up a 1999 Subaru Impreza Coupe WRX STi from the UCD in black, and driving it on some of the older Original tracks from earlier versions of Gran Turismo really brought back some good memories... "In Real Life" a decade ago, I purchased a 1999 Subaru Impreza Coupe 2.5RS new as a result of how it handled in Gran Turismo and GT2!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(Wow, who is that handsome devil?...)

I managed to grab an early 60's E-Type Jaguar from the UCD, and a 1987 Mercury Cougar XR7, which I'm saving for folks who love those cars - haven't put a mile on them, and I've picked up a bunch of cars I'm interested in hot-rodding to see how they run sometime, but I think my favorite car, and the biggest surprise in the game to me, is the 1969 Corvette StingRay Convertible, which no matter what kind of mods it gets, remains incredibly well-balanced and easy to drive. It's got 500+HP now and lots of goodies, and is amazingly versatile in the A-Spec challenges. I can't believe all of the races it qualifies for. Very nice.

I'd be playing right now, but I'm watching my 2 and 1/2 year boy tonight while Mommy has a girls' night out, and I don't want to wake him. He hit the hay about a half hour ago, and if he hears the Racing Rig, he'll try to get up and start racing - yeah, he likes to work the steering while I work the pedals.. Actually completed a lap in the go-kart without hitting a wall! That's my boy!

Here he is a year and a half ago - yeah about 1 year old, working the wheel while watching live F1 racing at our old apartment:

[​IMG]

Anyway, GT5 is a blast. It's far from perfect, and in fact seems to be pretty seriously flawed if not outright broken in a few places, but the stuff that was done right was done really right, and it's a real dream for car fans.

By the way, SONY has released three patches for the game since it was released on Nov. 24th. There have been promises to fix most of the things that bug me, so I'm pretty happy about it. I think one of the biggest things will be to convert all of the "standard" cars - available at the UCD - to "premium", which means they will look real purty in the photo mode, will be able to have aftermarket wheels, will be susceptible to crash damage, and will have full interiors. I think the ability to change the stock wheels is what appeals to me most.

Anyway... I'm glad Jerry posted here first... If you're on the fence about getting this, you should do it!

_Dave_

3. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Dave, I think I snatched a Lotus 7 from a used car lot. Have not put any miles on it yet. Available for loans. Teresa has a Super Byrd and 71 Mustang I think for those who are into it.

I have a "91 NSX that is a a blast.

Tip: Don't forget to do your oil changes. Good for up to 20hp.

Tip 2: Do the special challenges. Getting gold parlays the silver and bronze prize money. So the advance carting gold was 120k. The Loeb challenge yielded 400k+ total and three bonus cars.

4. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Dave,

How do you change a birthday on PSN? I read about that hack.

5. am0eba

am0eba New Member

Dec 16, 2009
    SoCal - LA County
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    You can't change a birthday, but you can add a new PSN account with a new birthday... The new account must have a different name and email address.

I was just messing around taking more pix in Photo Tour mode... pretty cool, but I'm too beat to xfer them to USB stick now. I'll post some soon.

The Lotus / Caterham 7 is supposed to be a monster once you add more lightness and increase power!

I've been doing the oil changes, and engine / chassis rebuilds... Adds up.

_Dave_

PS: Scott, I sent you a friend request.

6. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    So you can "loan" cars to other folks for races !?!?!

Wow, had no idea. Guess I need to do a bit more research on this game.

7. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Forgot to add that I won a Veyron for completing something. Have not driven it yet.

Saw a Ford GT40 in the used lot. 40,000,000 credits. I was a bit short for that one. Saw a DeLorean, too. 500k+. Must be a popular car in Japan.

8. am0eba

am0eba New Member

Dec 16, 2009
    SoCal - LA County
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Scott, it almost seems as if the designers set up the rare car situation specifically to encourage online interaction between players... You "loan" a car by gifting it to someone on your PSN friends list. They, in turn gift it back to you when done. Already there is a culture developing where a borrower spends some credits to improve the borrowed car before returning it. Some folks over on the SONY PS3 Gran Turismo forum have been trading a Ford F-150 pickup truck around and around, and it is apparently quite a monster now, capable of beating some supercars at various tracks.

You can also gift paint chips and other items, such as custom horns (?!?!) to other players... You win these items for completing various challenges. They only work in Premium cars, and some of them are pretty amazing.

Let me know if there's any particular car you're looking for in the UCD... I'm still looking for a Lotus Europa, although I don't NEED it anymore... I just like 'em.

Here's my complete car list at the moment (compiled it last night):

Premium cars:
    69 Chevy Corvette Convertible (C3)
    08 Ferrari California
    06 Ferrari F430
    10 Toyota FT-86G SPORTS Concept (x2)
    ?? Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Stealth
    08 Tesla Roadster
    07 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO X GSR P.P.
    69 Chevy Camaro Z28
    62 VW typ2(T1) SambaBus
    05 MINI Cooper S
    ?? Shelby Cobra 427 S/C Chrome Line
    ?? Mercedes Benz 300 SL Coupe Chrome Line
    ?? Lamborghini Murcielago LP640 Chrome Line
    ?? BMW M3 Coupe Chrome Line
    ?? Audi R8 5.2 FSI quattro Chrome Line
    ?? Gran Turismo PDI Racing Kart 100 (x2)
    07 Toyota VITZ RS 1.5

Standard:
    99 Hommell Berlinetta R/S Coupe
    ?? Toyota ALTEZZA Touring Car
    67 Mercury Cougar XR-7
    65 Alfa Giulia Sprint GTA 1600
    62 Buick Special (560HP out of the box!)
    61 Jaguar E-Type Coupe
    99 Subaru IMPREZA Coupe WRX type R STi Version VI
    62 Lotus Elan
    71 Plymouth Cuda 440 Six Pack
    00 Mazda MX-4 Miata 1800 RS (NB, J)
    02 Toyota MR2 Spyder (6MT)
    74 Lamborghini Countach LP400
    03 BMW M3 CSL
    69 Ford GT40 Racecar Gulf Livery
    02 Acura DN-X Concept
    87 Honda MUGAN MOTUL Civic Si Racecar
    78 Dome ZERO Concept
    08 Mazda Furai Concept
    03 Ford SVT F-150 Lightning Pickup
    79 Autobianchi A112 Abarth (looks like an old Mini)
    73 Lancia Stratos (Spent half a million buying and restoring this one!)
    01 Lotus Elise Type 72
    69 Chevy Corvette Stingray L46 350 (C3) Hardtop
    74 Triumph Spitfire 1500
    73 BMW 2002 turbo
    02 VW Lupo 1.4
    00 RUF RGT (Porsche 911 Carrerra)
    00 Toyota Yaris U Euro Sport Edition (J)
    58 Subaru 360

Fun!

_Dave_

9. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    did you type that list, or is there some import feature? I might need to borrow that GT40. How did you come by that?

10. am0eba

am0eba New Member

Dec 16, 2009
    SoCal - LA County
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    #50 am0eba, Dec 9, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
    'member how I said I couldn't fire up the racing rig last night? So I turned on the PS3 and ran GT5 without the rig. No driving, but I was able to transcribe the list by hand with paper and pencil.

But yeah, it sure would be nice to be able to do a screen cap, or even export the list!

But this lack of functionality fits right in with the rest of GT5's GUI...

After I made the list, I then typed it into a text file, then inserted some commas and renamed the extension from .txt to .csv and imported it into an Excel spreadsheet.

Too much like work. Oh well. I like having the list.

_Dave_

edit: oops missed the GT40 question... as I said before, I used the BIRTHDAY spoof. I signed up another PSN account with a birth date of December 5, 1969. On my "birthday" when I loaded GT5, I got a message saying happy birthday, and here's your car!

Note: When GT5 was first released, there was a "Birthday Hack", which involved doing what I described, but you were able to SELL the gift for credits. They fixed that in the 2nd patch. You can no longer sell your Birthday car, just like those Chrome Line cars that came with the Collector's Edition.

And no offense, but I'm not lending that one out. I trust you, but I've already lost a couple of cars through the gifting process itself (car disappeared from my list, and never showed up in the recipient's list, even when my other ID was the recipient!) so I'm not lending any cars that I'm "attached" to... By the way, I picked 1969 as the birth year, because I saw that there were a LOT of great cars in the game from that year. I was really hoping for the GT40, but not expecting it. And especially not in the Gulf colors - that was like frosting on the cake!

My real birthday is in January, and as far as I can tell, there aren't any cars in the game from that year, so it will be interesting to see what shows up...

11. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Sounds like I am going to need to do some heavy driving this weekend just to try and catch up........

12. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    #52 goaljnky, Dec 16, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
    Here is a little tip for you players. There are 17 cars in the game that can be race modified in the GT Tune Shop:

Acura NSX RM '91
    Chevrolet Camaro SS RM '10
    Chevrolet Camaro Z28 RM '69
    Chevrolet Corvette Z06 (C6) RM '06
    Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 (C6) RM '09
    Dodge Challenger R/T RM '70
    Honda CIVIC TYPE R (EK) RM '97
    Honda INTEGRA TYPE R (DC5) RM '04
    Lexus IS F RM '07
    Lotus Elise RM '96
    Lotus Elise 111R RM '04
    Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX GSR RM '05
    Nissan SILVIA spec-R AERO (S15) RM '02
    Subaru IMPREZA Sedan WRX STI spec C Type RA RM '05
    Suzuki Cappuccino (EA21R) RM '95
    TVR Tuscan Speed 6 RM '00
    Volkswagen Golf IV GTI RM '01

I highly recommend it. I RMed the Lotus 111R which is a lot of fun. I also RMed a ZR1 and then bought the rest of the upgrades. It is now a 900hp 1100 kgs beast. I did Nurgburgring in 6:38 with a few offs. Still need to tune the suspension a bit. Had to drive it in Automatic mode as it's so fast that I could not shift smooth enough even with the paddles.

If you decide to RM a car, don't do any upgrades before hand as a lot of them are included in the process and you will lose everything you've already put on.

Dave, I could really use that GT40 for the level 16 Historic race. But I am not going to pressure you.

Oh, and I won Leno's tank car. What the hell do I need that for?

13. am0eba

am0eba New Member

Dec 16, 2009
    SoCal - LA County
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for that list Jerry! That's very useful. Also really surprising which specific cars they decided to allow the RM on... ?

I'll consider loaning you the GT40 once they release the next patch that is supposed to allow copying a game save to an external drive. If that allows me any way to ensure I don't lose the car, I'm willing to share it with you.

BTW: I tried to use the GT40 on the Historic race you're talking about, and maybe I'm just not good enough yet, but I got blown away by at least half of the field on the first corner, and appeared to be losing position rapidly, so I bailed, and haven't gone back to it yet.

I'm at Lvl 20 on A-Spec now, and have completed all of the license tests - mostly bronzes with some silvers and an occasional gold here and there. Will go back sometime and try to gold them all, but right now busy grinding for cash/cars/points. My B-Spec is still stuck on Lvl 8, as I really don't enjoy it at all. Still got a bunch of the Special Events to do.

Went online for only the second time, and got in a room where it was run what ya brung TRACK DAY at Nurb Nord... I was enjoying flying in my Stealth AMG SLS until some buffoon came flying around the course in the reverse direction and slammed head-on into me.

Looking forward to some closed-session racing with adults...

_Dave_

14. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Have not touched B-Spec. Not sure if I want to. Too tedious. Did you do any mods to the GT40? I am starting to learn (I never played any of the previous GT series) that without tuning the cars; tires, suspension adjustments, etc.; it is hard to win at hight levels.

How do we set up a closed session?

15. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Thanks Jerry.

Does the RM in the name designate that you have already RMed it? Or is it named that way to indicate it can be RMed?

16. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    I am pretty sure it means it's been RMed. My ZR1 and the Lotus did not pick that up until I did the mod.

17. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Only at L16 on A-spec (I think). How are you guys getting so many cars and cash so quick? I don't have that many cars and not nearly as much cash. Are you just doing the same races over and over to grind up the cash?

18. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Do the licenses. Do the special events. They are worth a lot of money. Gold aggregates silver and bonze money. Most of the cars I use I bought.

A lot of the cars I won are.. Meh. I was going to go for all the cars, until I saw the complete list. I just don't need the 100+ varieties of Miata et al.

19. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    I have done all of the licenses except for S and have at least silvers. Have done the specials that I can so far.

Questions about the specials.....how did you ever complete that frikkin' tour race in the dark? I can't seem to see anything beyond the front of the car and I have tried all of the views.

20. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Tuscunny is also the Tarmac race for rally special events. So I've driven it a few. For me the key is to look up at the map to see whats coming and do it few times in a row for the track to engrain into my head.

Also, might be able to practice it in arcade mode.