Sim racing: PC, PS3, XBox, Wii

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by goaljnky, Sep 2, 2010.

1. FredR53

FredR53 New Member

Oct 8, 2010
    crappy
    SA, TX
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah I remember that car from gt3 (I think). it was a beast, one of the fastest in the game for sure. Nice picture too by the way.

2. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Can't take credit for the pic. It's borrowed. I am too busy driving right now to take pictures.. LOL

I'll send PSN invites to all the new folks later tonight. We need to work out an MA Mini Room and a schedule. I can probably host. If anyone knows the specifics on setting this up, drop me a line.

3. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    I have the G27 and it has the same brake problem. Very touchy. I have found out that if you turn down the braking on the brake bias tuning tab to 2 or 3 for the front it really settles this issue down. You can then tweak the rears for braking stability.

4. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    I do fine with 5F/4R on most cars. The point is that it's really hard to modulate brake and gas. I wonder if Dave ever used his rig in IRacing and if the PC's have a way to adjust pedals.

5. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    I also race online and it depends on the game, but most do allow you to control the "power
    " of the brake and gas pedals. Try reducing the brake "power" in game and see if it helps. I noticed a difference right away.

6. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Have you tried upping the power and increasing ABS force? Curious if that would allow braking a little later.

7. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    I usually run the brakes at 3f/2-5r and the ABS at 4-7 depending on the track.

8. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Ahh!!!.. I run 5F/4R and ABS at 1.

Made level 25 last night which opened up Endurance events. Holly Crap!!! 60 lap races? 9 hour real time events? I sure hope there is a save button at that level, cause there hasn't been one up till now.

Also, was running Dream Car championship:

Event 1: 10 laps of Indy
    Event 2: 10 laps of Monza
    Event 3: 10 laps of Tokyo Street circuit
    Event 4: 3 laps of that Long Damn French Circuit in the RAIN
    Event 5: 3 laps of Nurburgring 24 hr enduro layout (GP + Nordschleife, which makes the regular ring seem short. We are talking 9+ minute laps). In the RAIN.

Each win is worth 108k. Championship should be in 500k+ neighborhood. Except I never found out. Damn console froze in the middle of the last lap of the last event. MOTHER LOVER!!!!!!!!!!!

9. am0eba

am0eba New Member

Dec 16, 2009
    SoCal - LA County
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    On the PC, you can calibrate the brake (and everything else) in the Logitech driver, plus most sims (including iRacing) allow you to perform additional adjustment within the program. I don't find using the clutch to add much to any of teh racing software I use, so I usually set up my G25 pedals so that the physical clutch pedal is actually used for braking,,, Wish I could do that on GT5. Thinking about physically swapping either pedals or wiring to make that happen.

As for brake settings in GT5, I've been tweaking them for each car and track without really knowing what I'm doing. I recall that in earlier versions of Gran Turismo, I used to favor all-wheel drive cars like the Subies, and Mitsus, and would often set the car up for neutral handling except with a really strong rear brake bias, so I could force the rear to come around fast under braking. The cars in GT5 seem much more sensitive to brake bias settings, and I've found some car/track combos easier to drive with different f/r biases...

Would be interested in hearing more about what others are doing.

I've been favoring ABS at settings of 1 - 3... Haven't really experimented with higher values.

Unless I'm really being whipped by a particular car/track combo, I keep the other aids off, except traction control, which I'm finding useful with really high-powered cars. I typically run 0 to 3 on that, but Jerry's GT40 setup using TC set to 8 has me interested in experimenting a little more with this.

Back to brake feel: I don't know about you guys, but I get very different pedal feel depending on what's on my feet while driving... I end up using different foot positions on the pedals if I'm running barefoot vs. stocking feet vs. driving shoes. I recommend trying different foot positions and experimenting with different sock ;/ shoe combos too.

Barefoot definitely gives me more accurate control, but is a LOT more tiring, I think because there's very little slip between my foot and the pedals. Socks are cool because it's a nice balance between sensitivity and comfort. driving shoes (my 5 year old Piloti Spyders - which have almost paper-thin soles now from almost daily wear as street shoes) support my feet better, but even though they are well broken-in, still eliminate some of that nice sensitivity.

Hope I can get in some online stuff with M/A folks soon!

Now, off to breakfast with the inlaws!

_Dave_

10. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    So who wants to loan me the VW Schwimmwaggen?

11. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    I'll send it over. But it's moded.

Made level 30 today, which opened up the Vettel challenge and made the X2010 available. 20,000,000 credits. The challenge will take some work. Completing the first track, Nurbrurgring GP, I was about 14 seconds behind.

12. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Thanks...did you use it for the season challenge race?

Just made level 26 and have just over 90 cars, including the GT formula 1 car ! !

13. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Yep. Not sure what else it can be used for. The F1 car is hard. I drive it in auto. Can't shift that fast.

14. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Wagon sent. Send it back when done.

15. am0eba

am0eba New Member

Dec 16, 2009
    SoCal - LA County
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    A bud and I have been loaning each other hot-rodded cars needed for the various Seasonal Events. He loaned me a racy Schwimmwagen, and I sent it back to him last night. I also won a Schwimmwagen for some random ticket, I think, and that one is stock, if for some reason anyone wants to play with it...

I just read the Seasonal Event Schedule update News item that shows up in the main GT5 screen... It says that Seasonal Events will update EVERY WEEK from now on, on Wednesday Mornings (7AM in the Pacific time zone)... And that "Exclusive" special events with interesting prizes will be sprinkled among the seasonal events... Hope they keep the big payouts and two-week duration. I've really been enjoying accumulating credits and spending them on expensive rides!

I just got to Level 29 last night, and Have golded all of the A-Spec events up through the Expert series... Working my way through the Extreme Series now.

Got a BMW LM Racecar from the Used Car Dealer yesterday, and used it to breeze through the Like The Wind events - Won the Minolta Toyota! An extravagance of fast cars! Whee!

Jerry, have you found a good credit-grinding event in the Extreme or Endurance series? I do most of my grinding on the Extreme American Challenge, where ~5 mins on the INDY oval with a Z01 RaceMod Vette nets over a hundred grand in credits, but my Vette is getting tired, and is expensive to refurbish (500k for the engine, 500k for the chassis!)

Just won a horn prize for having 160 cars...

One of these days we have to try to do some online racing in someone's Lounge...

_Dave_

PS: Despite having pre-paid for Spa in iRacing, I haven't logged-on since GT5 was released. I miss the feel of the road surface that is provided in such detail through the force feedback in iRacing, but really do prefer the FUN elements of GT5.

16. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Will do! Thanks

17. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Anyone need any cars for the seasonal events? I have won all of the races (except for the VW swimthingy one)

18. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    I think that's about as good as it gets. I have done all the Exreme events except for the Formula GT. Can't find the time to sit for 6 20 lap races. I tried the Monza in it last time. With the rain it's a pita.

Ran the Monza in vetel challenge. Managed a bronze after a few tries. 250k credits, but 460+k experience. That car is truly sick are requires relearning how to drive. Sections where I would brake even in the formula car require only a slight lift of the throttle in this one. And braking zones have nothing to do with what the driving line might say.

19. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    OK.....what is the secret to the Loeb challenge.....:mad2:

I really can't seem to get a handle on this. I can get close, but have yet to win a freaking race.

And has anyone tried the drifting challenges? Can't get used to this either.

20. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Loeb: Traction off. ABS1. All other things off. Turn early. I can't emphasize this enough. TURN EARLY. Select one higher gear then you think you need to be in about 90% of the time. I think the exception is tight turns. If you feel yourself loosing traction and not accelerating it's because you are spinning wheels. Upping a gear reduces torque and allows you to gain traction.

Snow is actually easy, you should not have a problem with it. Just remember to be smooth and don't give too much input to the steering wheel. That will rob you of speed. Second challenge the key is the downhill section. You can actually get down faster with less gas and more control. By the time you get down hill you should be close on the ghost's arse.

Fist challenge you just have to work on. Also, I start off in second gear in first and third challenge for a quicker start.

Drift: tried it a couple of times. Don't seem to have a talent for it. Same with time trials. I came close on one after spending hours on it. I just don't have the time to sit and adjust the spring rates and shocks and whatnot one notch at a time to squeeze out those hundreds of a second.