Most liked posts in thread: Sirius XM wants ability to raise basic subscription rate

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Don't have and I'm against pay radio. Have the radio on at home all day while working and use a Squeezebox to pull in internet radio. I usually listen to WXPN out of Philly or Radio Paradise. Both are commercial free and I donate when I can. In the car a 160GB iPod with about 1 byte of space is used for traveling. Locally we now have a station, KKXT that is a non-profit public radio that plays an eclectic mix of indie music.

2. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Don't have it and never saw the need. Got decent radio around here and when I can't get radio I have my mp3 collection on CD's. No iPod for this old geezer! :D

3. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    With so many folks listening to iPods I think Sirius/XM better be careful. If they want any more money for their service I'll throw the XM radio in the recycle bin & never look back. I'm sure I won't be the only one.

4. SNEEEZY - Erika

SNEEEZY - Erika M/A Wrenchin' Babe!
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 27, 2009
    Female
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0 / -0
    I bought IPO shares way back in the day and purchased a lifetime subscription at the same time...$425, I think!

I've had the subscription for at least 5yrs, if not longer; I'd have to digup the receipt.

Best part is the lifetime subscription price is LOCKED. :Thumbsup:

I have it on two units; just need to figure out how to get one of the units into Schultze. I haven't researched it much, though...

Schultze currently has the iPod adapter through the glovebox, so I'm not sure if I could use a y-splitter at the back of the headunit to have the iPod and Sirius installed simultaneously.

Help?

5. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    I'm happy with my satellite radio now. I waited until I was 5 days out of subscription and they offered a promotion year's coverage for $77. So, my first year free (From MINI) and my second on the cheap I'm good so far. I like having new music and no commercials available to me all the time no matter where I am. I also use my USB thumb drive for music as well but I eventually get bored and I need a new infusion of music.

6. Tata Steva

Tata Steva MINI of the Month - September 2010

May 30, 2010
    DOP/stock Photography
    TO
    Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Raise prices???
    Well, they have to pay Mr.Stern & co. somehow for next 5 years...

7. minintrigue

minintrigue Active Member

Sep 30, 2009
    Banker
    Cincinnati, OH
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    I'm with Crashton on this one. I've had Siruis or XM since very shortly after they were launched. Frankly I was tremendously excited with they launched the first satellite way back when. But I do agree that there is far more competition today than even 5 years ago. I have 3 subscriptions and clearly should have bought the lifetime subscriptions, but I wasn't sure they would be around long enough to use it all. It will certainly be interesting to see what they do...

8. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    I have lifetime subscriptions on two of my vehicles, but not the MINI.
    Since I only drive my MINI during mild weather, I have the windows rolled down most of the time. With wind buffeting, I don't listen to the much radio at all and when I do it's with my iTunes- iPhone music.

9. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I have it an like it, but if the price goes up so does it. I only listen to the radio on the freeway while traveling. In traffic or on twisty roads I don't want the distraction. Besides, recorded books are very cool.

Jim

10. harold4187

harold4187 New Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    this is the email i received from them.
    At $799.99 there will be no lifetime for me and i also noticed they no longer give discounts for multiple radios.
    I am just about done with them.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on SiriusXM Lifetime Subscription. We are happy to assist you. We are sorry to learn of your negative impression on our Lifetime Subscription. If you will allow us, we'd like provide you more information about the Lifetime Subscription, in case you decide to reconsider.

With this subscription, you receive Sirius service for the LIFE of your receiver, for a one-time fee of $799.99 + U.S. Music Royalty Fee and any applicable tax for the Sirius Everything plus the Best of XM package and $699.99 + U.S. Music Royalty Fee and any applicable tax for the Sirius Everything package. This plan enables you to receive the quality programming that Sirius offers for years to come at a great price. You never have to worry about paying another bill for your service.

You can transfer your subscription to a new receiver a maximum of three times, for a fee of $75 per transfer. This transfer fee does not apply to replacement equipment that falls under warranty. As with all our receivers, there is an activation fee of $15 for activation.

Additional Information:

- A cancellation fee will not be incurred when an existing subscriber upgrades to a Lifetime Subscription. The Lifetime Subscription cannot be cancelled.

- The Lifetime Subscription is only available to individual subscribers (not businesses or for re-sale) and are available on all products.

- If a current subscriber upgrades to the Lifetime Subscription, they will receive a credit for any unused portion of their current plan towards the cost of the Lifetime Subscription.

- The payment can be divided into 5 EZ payments.

- A "Lifetime Subscription" is one that continues for the life of the Receiver equipment. Lifetime Subscriptions are non-refundable. You may cancel a Lifetime Subscription but if you cancel during the first year of service you will be charged a cancellation fee set forth in these Terms. Non Automotive Receivers: A Lifetime Subscription associated with a home, portable, or dock & play Receiver is transferable from one Receiver to another Receiver, up to a maximum of three (3) times. For each permitted transfer of a subscription from one Receiver to another or from one person to another you will be charged a transfer fee set forth in these Terms. Automotive Receivers: A Lifetime Subscription is not transferable if it is associated with a Receiver installed by an automaker or an automotive dealer in a vehicle, except in the event the original Receiver associated with that Lifetime Subscription is stolen, accidentally damaged or if, in the sole discretion of SiriusXM, it is defective. For each permitted transfer of a subscription from one person to another based upon a stolen or accidentally damaged Receiver you will be charged a transfer fee set forth in these Terms. No transfer fee will be charged for the transfer of a Lifetime Subscription associated with a Receiver installed by an automaker or an automotive dealer if, in the sole discretion of SiriusXM, the Receiver is defective.

We are committed to providing you with the best in listener care. If you have any questions, feel free to reply to this email.

Thank you,

Gil
    SiriusXM Email Listener Care Team
    1-866-635-2349

11. Redbeard

Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    Fail. It's not lifetime of they don't let you move more than three recievers. At the rate technology is changing a "lifetime" would be maybe 7 years for the typical consumer. Dumb.

12. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I only have the "Mostly Music" package and if that goes up, I think I may be done. Seems like an odd marketing move to me. Competition increases, so they raise the price of the service to compete. :confused5:

The other problem I have is the type of music depends on the DJ at the time. The stations like Bone Yard, Deep Tracks, Classic Rewind are suppose to play the music I like, but sometimes I have no idea what the song is as I have never heard it before. A DJ that lived in the 70's plays the good stuff. The others must be playing all the B sides of the albums that never made it. :frown2:

Jim

13. Redbeard

Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    Interesting. I listen to Octane, Boneyard, Lithium, Metal, Classic Rewind, and occasionally Alt Nation. I've been pretty happy with the tracks that get played. :cool: Given that I'm effectively paying $6.42/month it's still worth it to me.

14. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I see that you were born twenty days before me in May, but perhaps the year might make a difference in what songs we like. :lol:

Jim

15. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    #16 Jason Montague, Apr 20, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
    :cornut: I've never had it and I never will. Take a hike Sirius. You're just more space junk/debris.:Thumbsup:

Jason

PS My 8 track works just fine, Tee Hee.

16. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    It sounds like Sirius took a page from the airline companies handbook.... Charging a fee for every conceivable thing they can come up with.... Crazy

17. minintrigue

minintrigue Active Member

Sep 30, 2009
    Banker
    Cincinnati, OH
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    I've had it since it was available and absolutely love it. My antenna broke a couple of weeks ago and for 4 days I was without and it was miserable. I don't have time to search out new music on my own so I let them do it for me. Granted, I should have done the lifetime a long time ago, but I was concerned about them being around to make it worthwhile. In hindsight I was wrong and pay more now for my 3 receivers than I should. But I do love it.

I may reconsider if they raise rates, but I just haven't found pandora or slacker as a good replacement, granted I really haven't give them a fair shake. But for now, i'm content.