Pre Migration Site Down 5/13 ~6:15 PM CT

Discussion in 'Announcements, How do I, Feedback' started by Nathan, May 13, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Today at approximatly 6:15 PM CT one of the members sent me a note via IM that the site was down. Being I was crafting a post at the time I was like, nah. Then he sent me the error message. Quickly opening a new window and checking I saw the same horrible error message. Checked the back end, could not access that either.

Called the host, they verified there was an issue and got work right way.

Then I started digging. The vast majority of the file structure was gone. Oh the horror. Another quick call to a fellow site admin that often helps me confirmed one of my worst fears, it looked as the site had been maliciously hacked.

Since you can read this the site has been restored. There may be a few things that may take a little longer to come back as there is a lot of data that had to be brought back. The last post time before the issue was 6:12 PM CT today. The site came back up at ~ 7:20PM CT today.

It really does look like there was absolutely no loss of any data!

I'll be pouring over the logs to try and determine the root cause. I'll also be working with the host on methods to harden the server even more.

Sorry for the downtime, your understanding and continued support of Motoring Alliance is greatly appreciated.

Nathan

2. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    What always works for me are fresh AA batteries.:arf:

3. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Well it seems fine to me, and I've been off and on the site the last few hours, nothing seemed wrong.

Mark