Brakes Wheels 1st Gen Tires Slotted rotor options?

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by goaljnky, Sep 20, 2010.

1. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    I am now in that time period in the life cycle of my cars where I have to start paying for my own brake changes. And to prove one of Murphy's laws, it seems like both cars will need them at the same time. And to add insult to injury, looks like I will need them front and back.

I want to give slotted rotors a shot. One of the cars is an '06 JCW, the other one has an R56 brake conversion, so basically same rotors for both. I looked at Tire Rack and they only show rear fitments available for slotted rotors. Looks like Way has some TSW designed ones in his shop. Anyone have any first hand experience with these? What are other options out there? Reasonably priced, that is. I can't afford to do $700 rotors on two cars.

2. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    I have TSW/Way's rear slotted rotor (didn't buy it for the slots, I don't think the slots really do anything one way or the other), and they've been great--they've held up better than the OEM rears. I've had them on for 2 1/2 years, lots of track miles (now using carbotech XP8's on the rear, these are relatively rotor friendly), and the rotors still look great--won't need replacing anytime soon. With your brakes, I'd definitely consider giving those a shot on the fronts too.

I ran front slotted rotors in the past, and I really don't notice a difference between slots versus no slots. I have the BDM now, and slotted isn't an option.

3. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    I have had the Powerslot rotors on my car and to tell you the truth I will probably replace them with the same cause they look good. I don't think they really add anything to the capabilities of an occasional track day car. Maybe useful for a dedicated track toy.......?

4. moreorless

moreorless New Member

Aug 17, 2009
    In a pile of sawdust.
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    I've got a dumb question......

For a daily driver, what are the chances of something getting caught in the slots? Such as a piece of rock or road debris or whatever?

...Les

5. beaner

beaner New Member

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    Nearly zero. The slots aren't very deep and the debris would still have to enter the very small space between the rotor and pad.

6. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Slim to none. I wouldn't think twice about it. Slots aren't going to be of any benefit for a daily driver, but if you like the look, I wouldn't worry about them getting harmed with debris.

Lol Beaner got me by a few seconds...

7. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    :Thumbsup:

Never had a problem here.

8. KC Jr 54

KC Jr 54 New Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Machine Operator
    Tyler, TX
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    I also have powerslots front and rear, and they are holding up great. Even the paint is still black, not a new looking as they were 60k miles ago, but still no rust or corrosion.

9. moreorless

moreorless New Member

Aug 17, 2009
    In a pile of sawdust.
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    60k miles. How many sets of pads?

...Les

10. KC Jr 54

KC Jr 54 New Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Machine Operator
    Tyler, TX
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Two sets. One set of Axxis Ultimates that had just passed the point of being needed to replace, and about 10k on a set of EBC greens. I guess it is closer to the 55k mark atm.

11. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Who is carrying Powerslots in R53 JCW size?

12. beaner

beaner New Member

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    I take it you don't track your car. I went through three sets of dual purpose pads, two sets of race pads and three sets of rotors in 25k miles. I think I'm on the TCE preferred customer list.:ihih:

13. KC Jr 54

KC Jr 54 New Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Machine Operator
    Tyler, TX
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    LMAO Na, i actually didnt. They are for DD and spirited curvy roads. Even then though, i am not hard on my brakes at all, if i learned to be, i might be able to pick up a few seconds at auto-x lol.

14. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Have a set of Way's rotors front and back since last spring. No problems

They were branded TSW but are made by Freemax
    Front TSW Fremax Rotors R55,R56,R57 - Way Motor Works

Nice piece of advise I got from Way was to spray paint the hats of the rotors as they will rust. That and painting the calipers and it's looking pretty sharp to boot!

15. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    I've found that slots make a difference in the rain. There's no hesitation on wet rotors like there is on smooth rotors. The difference is noticeable, but it's a pretty minor benefit.

16. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    There was a time I believed slots made a difference in wet weather performance, but now I find pad compound and tires matter more.

I liked the original Power Slots because the slots went all the way to the rotor edge providing rapid evacuation of pad dust. The cadmium plating was very long lived too. The slots on the new version are closed on the ends, and the coating is less corrosion resistant.

Here's an option :: Brakeworld ::[COUPE] FITS: [COOPER S, CLUBMAN COOPER S] [294mm FRONT ROTORS]

17. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Slots vs no slots:

I will concede that for street driving the benefits would be minor, or nonexistent. For track, they might be more obvious, or still nonexistent.

But at the end of the day, having the slotted rotors should not hurt anything. So it might be just a little bit of bling. And there is nothing wrong with that. :ihih:

18. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    I'm running the TSW curved slot rotors on the rear of my R53 (stock size) and I'm loving 'em. The look nice and were barely more expensive than a stock replacement. I've had 'em on for 2 DE weekends and 10k miles or so running Hawk HPS pads in the stock size. When they wear out, I plan to replace 'em with the same.

I'm running a Wilwood setup up front and I'm loving the change from 11.7" to 12.1" rotors. The pads sit right out to the edge of the 12.1 rotors, so no nasty little lip to look at (though I miss using that lip to know how much I've worn the rotors).

19. Alan

Alan Active Member

May 6, 2009
    retired
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Ratings:
    +98 / 0 / -0
    Here's what happened to one of my TSW rear rotors after a couple years and over a dozen track weekends.

Since it happened late Saturday afternoon, I now have a set of Autozone rotors on the rear of the car. I've done 2 DE weekends with them and so far, so good. They are not slotted.

Attached Files:

20. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Brings up the question--how often do people change the rear rotors on cars that are frequently on the track, even if the rotor looks good?

The fronts are a different issue, they show wear much earlier than the rears. Even thought the rears look good after a couple of years, I wonder if with all that heat, they should still be changed on a schedule regardless of appearance? Rear rotors are relatively cheap....